• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is Sugar Toxic - 60 Minutes Investigates

Noones going to watch a 60minutes special telling people to eat less and move more

I am frightened beyond belief after watching that, have ditched all sugar in the bin and stocked my pantry up with Aspartame, Sucralose, and Saccharin instead

I have not watched this and all I can say is, with lots of fillings in my teeth, eating sweet things can be very painful experience. And since I cut it out, I don't crave it at all.

I have not watched this and all I can say is, with lots of fillings in my teeth, eating sweet things can be very painful experience. And since I cut it out, I don't crave it at all.

Probably should have brushed your teeth.

Next week on 60mins "artificial sweeteners give you cancer" Eat sugar instead.

Week 1 sugar = poison
Week 2 sweeteners = cancer
Week 3 protein overloads kidneys
Week 4 fat causes heat disease.

End result have to live on fresh air.

I can't watch the video here at work, but cutting out or reducing sugar has had the biggest impact on dropping body fat for me. Sugar is in everything, and by checking the sugar content on certain foods, you can cut out of a lot of empty calories.

If I could only give one piece of advice to someone wanting to lose fat and get healthy, it would be to cut out sugar.

I can't watch the video here at work, but cutting out or reducing sugar has had the biggest impact on dropping body fat for me. Sugar is in everything, and by checking the sugar content on certain foods, you can cut out of a lot of empty calories.

If I could only give one piece of advice to someone wanting to lose fat and get healthy, it would be to cut out sugar.

Cutting calories not sugar caused you to lose weight. Just blanked cutting out sugar for no reason than it is sugar doesn't make sense.

Cutting calories not sugar caused you to lose weight. Just blanked cutting out sugar for no reason than it is sugar doesn't make sense.
Yeah, you're right. But like I said, sugar is basically empty calories.

Sugar is incredibly calorie dense. You're giving you're body a large dose of high GI carbs, which spikes your insulin for nearly zero nutritional value. There really is no upside to consuming sugary food/drinks unless you're mid workout and will immediately burn up the glucose in your blood.

Sugar is empty calories but calorie dense?
I think I know what you are trying to get at though. Sugar vs micronutrient loaded food per calorie?
But yeah screw that, ice cream is the god's gift. IIFYM

Yeah, you're right. But like I said, sugar is basically empty calories.

Sugar is incredibly calorie dense. You're giving you're body a large dose of high GI carbs, which spikes your insulin for nearly zero nutritional value. There really is no upside to consuming sugary food/drinks unless you're mid workout and will immediately burn up the glucose in your blood.

Sugar is less than half the calorie density of fat. So it's not that calorie dense.

Gi means nothing

Your body is perfectly fine to handle glucose spikes unless you are diabetic.

Plenty of healthy foods have sugar in them. So do you avoid all of these now and miss out of them.

Sugar is empty calories but calorie dense?
I think I know what you are trying to get at though. Sugar vs micronutrient loaded food per calorie?
But yeah screw that, ice cream is the god's gift. IIFYM

When I say empty calories, I mean no or very little nutritional value.

There will be things more calorie dense than sugar, but it's pretty high, especially for a carb.
Some examples.
100g of rice - 111 calories.
100g of beef - 250 calories.
100g of sugar - 387 calories.

There are many case studies walking around representing a high sugar diet. Not to mention it's bad for your teeth and can induce Type 2 diabetes.

When I say empty calories, I mean no or very little nutritional value.

There will be things more calorie dense than sugar, but it's pretty high, especially for a carb.
Some examples.
100g of rice - 111 calories.
100g of beef - 250 calories.
100g of sugar - 387 calories.

There are many case studies walking around representing a high sugar diet. Not to mention it's bad for your teeth and can induce Type 2 diabetes.

You are getting confused. Carbs( which includes sugar) and protein is 4 calories per gram. Fat is 9 calories per gram. Sugar is no more calorie dense than protein.

You examples are foods with mixed macros compared to table sugar. Who eats just plain sugar let alone 100g of sugar. 100g of protein powder is similar calories to 100g of sugar.

A diet too high in any macro is bad. Not just sugar.

Don't want diabetes. Pick your parents right and don't get fat will cover the bulk of it.

Sugar isn't evil.

Last edited:
Cutting sugar out of your diet isn't going to cause you to drop weight is the point. Unless you eat chocolate for 50% of your diet but then again it cycles back to calorie consumption.
What determines the high sugar amount?
Also 100g of fat is ~900 calories but it still doesn't make fat the devil