• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Single Prong Vs. Double Prong Belts

Gooby it depends on what you use it for. I only use my belt for squats and yoke walks. So it only needs to be in one position. When I deadlift with a belt it needs to be worn a lot higher up for me to get into position so needs to be opened up more. If you compete in strongman you'll need a lot of different positions and widths. Also with those that compete equipped, they will need a different belt setting for raw, briefs and full suit. Lots of strongmen and equipped lifters are switching to a velcro belt for this reason

It's not complicated, you just get something different depending on what you're doing. I only need it for squats, lever is fine as it takes a quick flip to take it on and off
Some people wear their belt in the same position for everything, so lever is fine
Some people bought one type of belt and don't want to fork out $100 for a debatable and marginal benefit

I have separate belts for bench and squat/deads and if I'm feeling fat I just use the first row of holes only for the lever prongs. Simples. I've got a new belt on order now so I'll probably keep the old one a bit looser as my fat belt.

You can't use a velcro belt in a "proper" lifting fed. You are limited to a 100mm x 10mm thick and it has to be either prong (1 or 2) or lever.

If you have to adjust your belt because you had a big meal, you are using it wrong. Probably too tight to start with. It needs a bit of room so that you can push your gut out into it.

Frankly, it all works the same. Just that a lever is much, much faster and easier to put on and take off. Otherwise, they are all belts.

You can't use a velcro belt in a "proper" lifting fed. You are limited to a 100mm x 10mm thick and it has to be either prong (1 or 2) or lever.

If you have to adjust your belt because you had a big meal, you are using it wrong. Probably too tight to start with. It needs a bit of room so that you can push your gut out into it.

Frankly, it all works the same. Just that a lever is much, much faster and easier to put on and take off. Otherwise, they are all belts.

If it needs room and not putting it on that tight anyway how is a lever much much faster.

If it needs room and not putting it on that tight anyway how is a lever much much faster.

Just the process of getting the prongs into place then getting them out. Its a common sight to see lifters struggling with their belt, particularly if they are new. It's similar to shoes that have laces or shoes that have velcro or shoes that are slip on. Its not a problem initially but if you have to put your shoes on 10x per day, after a while, you gonna go with the slip ons.

In practice, they are pretty much the same, with double prong being slightly more stable under load than single prong. It's just getting da fukkahs on and off so many times in a training session that will have you wishing for a lever belt.

More-so if their guts are hanging over the belt.

is there much $ difference between the over and the prong?

i don't think the "quickness of release" is a valid argument in the sport of powerlifting lol.

During a comp it's just so much nicer to get the belt loose and off as quick as possible. If you don't have a couch, and most lifters don't, then you have to get your next lift weight in within 1min so it's just a lot nicer to flick the lever, dump the belt, grab you form and a pen and get it in. You can be all done and sipping a cold one before a similar lifter in a prong belt has got their's off.

It's just a comfort and convenience thing. One more thing to struggle with in a comp is not what I want. In training, I can be in chatting to Miss Sprayonyogapants within seconds of finishing my 300x10 deadlifts.

Just the process of getting the prongs into place then getting them out. Its a common sight to see lifters struggling with their belt, particularly if they are new. It's similar to shoes that have laces or shoes that have velcro or shoes that are slip on. Its not a problem initially but if you have to put your shoes on 10x per day, after a while, you gonna go with the slip ons.

In practice, they are pretty much the same, with double prong being slightly more stable under load than single prong. It's just getting da fukkahs on and off so many times in a training session that will have you wishing for a lever belt.

Jesus Christ powerlifters are fucking useless. Take me a couple of seconds for me to put the belt on tight enough I struggle to breathe.

Jesus Christ powerlifters are fucking useless. Take me a couple of seconds for me to put the belt on tight enough I struggle to breathe.

…cos you are using one of those poofy soft belts you buy at Rebel. Or, so help me Ed Coan, a velcro belt.]

If you are putting your belt on so tight you can't breath, you're not using your belt properly.

Going by my usual e-stalking he's going to be fat enough that Miss Sprayonyogapants won't be talking back, haha

I dunno man, based on what he said in the recent deadlifting thread about how deads build up your physique to be irresistible to women I think he would be a bit of a devil with the ladies. Wouldn't be surprised if he has women in all sorts of lycra all over him when he goes to the gym.