• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Grunta

Packing a Huge Member
Hi @Silverback
Got a question for you, I have been trains calves every second day since I realised they were 1/2"
smaller than my bis.
Its worked well, with that and extra cycling I've been doing they are stating to look good, so I'm on the get big calves fad.
I have been doing standing and sitting to hit both muscles in it, about 8 to 10
sets every second day. This adds a lot of time to my workouts so my question is this:

Can I train them every day, sitting one day and standing next?
Would that work? Any concerns with that? Would it affect progress in a negative, positive way or no way at all?

Any feedback would help, wanting them big muscly calves.

We had a calf challenge where we trained calves everyday for a month. Mixed results. Give it a go, it won't hurt.

Besides the basics you'd apply to any muscle group, is there any calf specific tricks of the trade?

The most effective is what works for you. Experiment with varying ranges. I personally like 20+ and up to 50 sometimes.

Do you find that when you really stretch at the bottom and squeeze at the top, the tendons in the foot and ankle hurt?

That's A good thing I suppose.
Smashing them on the bike tomorrow morning, bout 50-60ks, then hammer them heavy with weights, they'll be sorry they were ever attached to me. Kunce.

Hi @Silverback
Got a question for you, I have been trains calves every second day since I realised they were 1/2"
smaller than my bis.
Its worked well, with that and extra cycling I've been doing they are stating to look good, so I'm on the get big calves fad.
I have been doing standing and sitting to hit both muscles in it, about 8 to 10
sets every second day. This adds a lot of time to my workouts so my question is this:

Can I train them every day, sitting one day and standing next?
Would that work? Any concerns with that? Would it affect progress in a negative, positive way or no way at all?

Any feedback would help, wanting them big muscly calves.

Try it for 3 months, measure your calves, before and after.

In the long run, I believe the focus on just, adding muscle to the body in general is best.

Sorry mate, not sure I understand the second sentence.

I think calves grow, when your body is growing, I think, using exercises, like squats, dead's, leg press, SLDL chins, dips, rows, curls, presses that really stimulate growth, also have a profound effect on the calves.

when you look at the function of the calve, you'll see that it's role is mainly that of a "shock absorber".

Thanks, I'm just looking to speed that up a little by engaging them direct under load.

If that were the case [MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; hire come there's so many kunce with puny calves? I believe direct stimulation and plenty of it is required.

I know people with impressive calves that have never set foot in a gym. Most are runners.
I have almost no calf, no matter what i do. That's just my genetics I guess. I think beach running, farmers walks, sled drags and sprinting up hills might work for me.

If that were the case @Silverback ; hire come there's so many kunce with puny calves? I believe direct stimulation and plenty of it is required.

Funny thing isn't it.

Direct exercise with any muscle is required, how much or how little depends on the lifter.

this morning I saw this young fella, with really excellent development of the upper body, perfect symmetry, muscle shape, insertion points, muscle belly length, he's got what it takes.

How ever..., his thighs and legs look like they'd never been exercised, looked like he'd just got out of a wheel-chair.

this kid is a product of genetics, I've seen him at gym for years, he hasn't changed.

all I'm saying is, that we need to spend most of out training life working on the multi joint exercises, with a bit of single joint here and there.

Thanks, I'm just looking to speed that up a little by engaging them direct under load.

How long for?

Can you measure your left and right (cold) for me, before and after?

id be interested to see the diff.

measure at the thickest point, that'd be good.