• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Funny thing isn't it.

Direct exercise with any muscle is required, how much or how little depends on the lifter.

this morning I saw this young fella, with really excellent development of the upper body, perfect symmetry, muscle shape, insertion points, muscle belly length, he's got what it takes.

How ever..., his thighs and legs look like they'd never been exercised, looked like he'd just got out of a wheel-chair.

this kid is a product of genetics, I've seen him at gym for years, he hasn't changed.

all I'm saying is, that we need to spend most of out training life working on the multi joint exercises, with a bit of single joint here and there.

Some one blessed with genetics and didn't train legs. What a waste.

How long for?

Can you measure your left and right (cold) for me, before and after?

id be interested to see the diff.

measure at the thickest point, that'd be good.

been giving them extra focus since Roughly Dec, by that I mean previously I have done my 8 sets with legs, every 4-5 days, now I do them every second day, most times 10 sets.

they measure just over 450mm, not cold, rode and smashed 10 sets this morning. Both measure the same, though they'd be a bit bigger.

I've never trained my calfs, I think all the multijoint exercises stimulate them enough as it is. When I stand with my feet together they touch. Probably don't want them bulging anymore than that.

I've never trained my calfs, I think all the multijoint exercises stimulate them enough as it is. When I stand with my feet together they touch. Probably don't want them bulging anymore than that.

You're a lucky kunce, mine aren't too bad, but my mate is 6'6" and he's got nothing.

One reason why these bastards are hard to grow and that they can endure heavy load, that is simple leverages.

If you look at the pivot point, the fulcrum and the load, it's a very short distance.

Standing is by far, better and more efficient over the sitting version partly because the muscle is placed in the fully stretched position.
Using different angles is superfluous It's two muscles going into one tendon.

Specific exercise is good, but working the body as one is required, none of this split shit, unless you've paid your dues doing the key bodybuilding stuff .

Do you find that when you really stretch at the bottom and squeeze at the top, the tendons in the foot and ankle hurt?

I never used to get any tendon pain until I started using a seated calf press. It would be like a tightness in the achilles heal. It was because I had the seat set incorrectly so my legs were nearly straight. I moved the seat closer to get more bend in the knee and the pain went away.

I think with calves, it's more of an individual basis. Some people need to train them and some don't. There's no one size fits all program to train them.

I think the problem most people have is that they don't do enough volume or they have some crazy rep scheme way different to how they all other muscle groups. Go heavy enough before form suffers; then go to failure. For people trying to build them up, you need to be spending at least 30 minutes a week dedicated to isolating them. I've been doing this for the past 6 months and increased their size by half a centimetre. Not a lot, but it's slowly working.

I'm now working them direct by doing both standing and seated raises, enough weight to rep it to 12-15 before failure/cramps/leak bodily fluids. Combined with cycling, they've grown 0.4" over the past month and a bit. Woo hoo fukken.

I'm now working them direct by doing both standing and seated raises, enough weight to rep it to 12-15 before failure/cramps/leak bodily fluids. Combined with cycling, they've grown 0.4" over the past month and a bit. Woo hoo fukken.

You're blessed with some great leg genetics. I've seen those calves.

Bad genetics are not an excuse not to work hard though!

I just saw the comment re calf to bicep size. My calves are 6cm bigger than my biceps LOL

I get some ankle issues doing standing raises.

I only ever started training them (occassionally) when I did BB comp last year. I think most people with good calves simple have given them lots of "reps" during life. You will notice that overweight people have big calves often. Also, runners and cyclists. I myself have done a fair bit of boxing/mma and that is what I put mine down to. So if you don't do anything I'd suggest PLENTY of volume in the gym. Very high reps IMO up to 50 as was mentioned before. You still need progressive tension overload over time but as they are used so much in general life I think extra volume is required.

I just saw the comment re calf to bicep size. My calves are 6cm bigger than my biceps LOL

I get some ankle issues doing standing raises.

I only ever started training them (occassionally) when I did BB comp last year. I think most people with good calves simple have given them lots of "reps" during life. You will notice that overweight people have big calves often. Also, runners and cyclists. I myself have done a fair bit of boxing/mma and that is what I put mine down to. So if you don't do anything I'd suggest PLENTY of volume in the gym. Very high reps IMO up to 50 as was mentioned before. You still need progressive tension overload over time but as they are used so much in general life I think extra volume is required.

Me thinks you hit the nail on the head.

For me I found doing standing calf raises with a barbell was the best thing that made mine grow.

Seated raises were ok but I was another that suffered tendon issues in the feet. I think it was from hitting them to often. A few people have asked what I do for calves....so I must have done something correct.