• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginners workout - Whats next?

Headley

BigRed Kunce
Ok here we go...

I have been working out with the AusBB beginners program here for the last 6 months or so now. I have noticed a lot of muscles have toned up and grown to some extent. My abs and back are the biggest beneficiaries of this program so now i think i am just about ready to move on to something else.

I have at least 5 days a week to go to the gym in the mornings, what is a good 5 or 6 day program i could do?

I want to split the muscle groups up:

Mon - Bi's and Tri's (Cable curls, dumbell skull crusher, bench dips, concentration curls)
Tue - Back (Dead lifts, barbell rows, hyper chair, dumbell rows)
Wed - Legs (squats, Leg Press, Calf raise, lunges)
Thu - chest and shoulders (Bench press, mil press, shrugs, some random trap isolation machine)
Fri - Abs and glutes? (swiss ball crunches, side ab hip flexors, squats, medicine ball sit ups)

Anyone got experience to add/edit/redo that plan i have?

Last edited:
Don't like it much. I Mean abs and glutes WTF?
I'll show you a revised one later. Too laborious on the phone.

I like push (chest,shoulder,tri's)/pull(Back & Bi's)/legs/push/pull then next week it follows on legs/push/pull/legs/push etc

I like push (chest,shoulder,tri's)/pull(Back & Bi's)/legs/push/pull then next week it follows on legs/push/pull/legs/push etc

Isn't this about time someone jumps in and says muscles only pull, they can't push?

Like people who say there's no such thing as "toning". Technically right, but everyone knows what it means in context.

I would do an upper/lower, it's only 4 days a week though. Muscles are getting hit at 2x a week which is what you want.

mon;lower
tue;upper
wed;off
thur;lower
fri;upper
off
off

upper:
bench 3-4 x 6-8 or 4-5 x 5
horizontal row (Db row e.g.) 3-4 x 6-8
a chest fly(opposite angle to bench press), e.g. cable x over. 2-3 x 8-10 or DB press
a vertical pull e.g. pull down 2-3 x 6-8
lateral raise (ant. delts will get enough from pressing) 1-2 x 10
face pull or rear delt row/fly 1-2 x 10
curls 1-2 x 10
tris 1-2 x 10

lower:
squat 3-4 x 6-8 or 4-5 x 5
RDL or SDL 3-4 x 6-8
leg press 3-4 x 8-10
hamstring curl 2-3 x 6-8
stading calf raise 5 x 5
seated calf raise 3-4 x 6-8

or a push pull legs off repeat

just read lyle mcdonalds GBR for moer details on progression etc

Last edited:
I think you should add a conditioning day in there too... prowler, hills, or any HIIT type training for that matter..

Try:

chest & tric
back & bic
shoulders & calves
Legs
Repeat, and take a days rest when it suits or feel like it.
Don't get locked into Mon this Tues that.

Fully sick bro split, although I mix it up a bit, it's roughly what kept me coming back for 20 yrs.
This full full body, upper lower, push pull shit has always bored the shit out of me, felt like I was doing the same shit every day.
I've always liked to pick a couple of body parts and destroy them every 4-5 days.
Trick is not to favour your strong groups and miss the weak, keep it in balance, as it's easy to fall into that habit in a body part split routines.
Works for some, doesn't for others.

I like Alpha's routine a lot something like that is what im doing now, and have done in the past.

I also like Grunta's, once every 5 days sounds ok, but I dont like those sorts of routines done weekly cause it doesnt seem like enough frequency.

This is just for me though, 2x a week works for me, maybe once a week might work for you. I would also recommend maybe emailing a PTC gym, see if they will write you a program for $40 or so, it's what I did (though I saw them in person). Could also pick up some training while you're in there and ask a few questions.

I like opposites.

Chins, dips, deads
Squats, OHP
Bench, row

Throw in some curls and skull crushers and calves.
Bewdy mate.

Ok here we go...I have been working out with the AusBB beginners program here for the last 6 months or so now. I have noticed a lot of muscles have toned up and grown to some extent. My abs and back are the biggest beneficiaries of this program so now i think i am just about ready to move on to something else.I have at least 5 days a week to go to the gym in the mornings, what is a good 5 or 6 day program i could do?I want to split the muscle groups up:Mon - Bi's and Tri's (Cable curls, dumbell skull crusher, bench dips, concentration curls)Tue - Back (Dead lifts, barbell rows, hyper chair, dumbell rows)Wed - Legs (squats, Leg Press, Calf raise, lunges)Thu - chest and shoulders (Bench press, mil press, shrugs, some random trap isolation machine)Fri - Abs and glutes? (swiss ball crunches, side ab hip flexors, squats, medicine ball sit ups)Anyone got experience to add/edit/redo that plan i have?
What is the ausbb begginner program???Do you mean the ptc begginer program...

Dude just do lyles GBR
http://www.jcdfitness.com/wp-content/download/Lyle_McDonald_Generic_Bulking_Routine_FAQ.pdf

it will be better than most routines on this site

100% agree - upper/lower 4 days a week is great (particularly Lyle's Generic Bulking Routine). If you have a 5th day you can always just do calves/abs (as I regularly drop them when I don't have time) and HIIT for your 5th day. If you want to mix it up from time to time and increase volume, you can do upper/lower as per usual then the last days do a regular 3 day split of chest/shoulder/tri + back/bi + legs. If you don't have a lot of time, you can superset the exercises for opposing muscle groups.

However, in your case I would suggest reading that pdf from start to finish and then giving it a proper go, exactly as prescribed.

Good luck.