• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginners: Why weights?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
[h=1]Beginners: Why weights?[/h] If you're a beginner to the world of weight training, please share with us why you've chosen to hit the weights?

Are you skinny and want to get bigger?

Are you overweight and looking to lose some fat?

Do you play a sport and want weights to help your performance?

Have you decided competative bodybuilding / powerlifting / strongman is for you?

Did you mate drag you down the gym?

Has your partner told you to shape up?!

Just bored looking for something to do?

Or any other reason?

Let us know guys and girls! This topic is meant as an ice-breaker - if you're a lurker, why not sign up and let us know!

Thanks, and enjoy Ausbb - Australian Bodybuilding!

sick of being fat and weak - tried the whole running thing initially, didn't really see much benefit out of it apart from sore joints. Read a number of articles by Rippetoe and Markos and got inspired.

Might look at PL or strongman once I've dropped some more fat and got my upper body lifts better, but the amount of drama in PL puts me off.

I originally started to due vanity reasons and not wanting to die a virgin. now I continue to train to improve my on field performance (basketball)

sick of being fat and weak - tried the whole running thing initially, didn't really see much benefit out of it apart from sore joints. Read a number of articles by Rippetoe and Markos and got inspired.

Might look at PL or strongman once I've dropped some more fat and got my upper body lifts better, but the amount of drama in PL puts me off.

Don't wait to compete I reckon.
competing promotes mental motivation.

I'm not saying go join a fed.

I'm saying in each state there is a PTC gym now.
Each of them have monthly comps for newbies.
no membership, no soft suits..
pay your $30, lift using world class equipment and be judged by qualified judges.
Get advice, tips, make new friends.

There is no drama there..

Before it all starts, you get told the calls to listen for, the rules etc etc.

Seriously, if you are thinking about powerlifting, and you're not broken, do the next one available in your state.
You don't have to buy in to the whole belt, knee wraps, wrist wraps, soft suits blah blah blah.

Rock up in whatever you wear to the gym and try your best.

If I was in or close to Melbourne, I would be doing just that. Not interested in equipped lifting anyway haha.

Unfortunately I missed the local PA club's last local meet, would have been good to suss out.

People use to travel interstate for newbie comps when stuff wasn't available locally.
Not sure where you live or your situation but I'm just saying, it's one day.
I'm sure you can find a way to make it happen.

I started lifting to get stronger for rugby (country rugby, not competitive) and it worked and made playing more fun.

I don't play anymore and had a long break from lifting but started again now after having to run 180m of hose to a hydrant when the nearest one had no pressure and only just getting it done before the boys ran out of water. I'm only a volunteer firefighter and certainly not the least fit in the brigade but being strong and fit might make the difference one day.

Trying to set a good example for my kids too, they love to join in.

yeah you are right - it's 400km to Adelaide, 550 to Melbourne from here - if I could get anyone else interested, I'd make the trip. I was under the impression that that there's no PTC in Adelaide yet though?

Fuzzys powerlifting Gyms is in Adelaide.. they had a novice comp a few months back..

not sure if he has a website.. it is on facebook though.

I got into the lifting mainly as rehab/injury prevention. Apart from that I figure it's a healthy hobby and being stronger than most people is always good.
I spend all day sitting in an office, so I often feel like I just need to do "something".

They say you're the average of the five people you spend the most time with, but I don't want to be a lazy kunce so I'll set the example.

Well not exactly a newbie... but i got into weight lifting by means of PE at school when i was 16. Our school just so happened to reside right next to the best gym in town, so we spend quite a few PE lessons there. So yeah, we had to do it, was awesome though :) Teacher told us we can get big haha