• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Good Mornings - Who Does Them Here?

Good mornings would be superior to SLDL for the purpose of building the squat...
I do SLDL as well but you can't replicate the back tightness required for a deep and properly done good morning.
How about: Do both :D

Just saw your comment [MENTION=10409]Dicko[/MENTION];

how are they or what exactly makes them superior for the purpose of squatting.

I think it replicates the stance and posture more and certainly takes more effort to keep your arms up, core engaged and upper back tight. Imagine doing GHR's with your arms by your side, then with your hands on your shoulders. Purely for squat assistance, I think it's better. For the purpose of building hamstrings, I'd go SLDL.

Just saw your comment [MENTION=10409]Dicko[/MENTION];

how are they or what exactly makes them superior for the purpose of squatting.

SLDLs load the weight in front while GMs maintain the load in a more similar fashion to squats and includes a far similar movement. GMs are also superior in general because they are jarder amd train far more significant attributes of squats and deads.

Better carry over to the squad - you gotta go with Goodmornings

As for purely building the hamstrings - Stiff legged deads

Why dont people like doing goodmornings? Used to do them alot -

- Chain goodmornings
- Banded (from the top or bottom)
- Lockout Goodmornings
- Safety Bar Goodmornings
- High susspended Goodmornings
- ME Goodmornings

I really like SLDL

I pretty much only do them to build my deadlift at the moment.

I've had a few stints of doing GMs and they felt like they should work but never noticed a heap with them.

I really like the seated good morning as an exercise used to specifically strengthen the lumbar via actual spine extension/flexion...you'd need to place the bar as low as possible on the upper back to make sure the loading is correct and not creating any shearing force.

i see the GM and SLDL as essentially the same movement

but with the bar in front you as opposed to on the shoulder, you can place a whole lot more load on the lower body while the upper still receives a good work over.

it is risky, really risky working the lower back effectively, you got to know what your doing.

IMO both methods are not lower back *exercises*