• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How do you fix Buttwink?

Jungnaut

YOLO Kunce
So, I am lowering my squat about another inch below parallel as a challenge however I feel on occasion the old dreaded buttwink coming on. Basically that's when my lower back loses the arch and the pelvis or butt starts tucking under.

Now I love the buttwink on that hot personal trainer at my gym as she does her squat demos for her clients, that's about the only time I use the treadmills and have sunnies on at the same time. But not so much when I am doing it, thanks.

I understand that its an awareness issue (ie if I focus on arching my back harder it happens less) but I am also interested in knowing what I can do mobility-wise to get rid of this annoying problem. Is it hamstring, calves, or ankle tightness? And those of you that have overcome this problem, how did you do it? I love to know.

Stretch out your hamstrings. Gently. Do it before you squat, during your warm up sets and between each work set. Do the same for deadlifts as well.

You might be flexible but that does not mean you are not also tight, so gently stretch out the hams.

Once you get to parallel, and the happy place beyond that, your hamstrings come into play (and your glutes). Your hams are attached to your upper shin below the knee and at the bottom of your pelvis. When your hams are tight (or shortened from not using them) then as they stretch at the bottom they will tend to pull hard on each attachment. The shin won't move, so the result is that it pulls the bottom of your pelvis forward. The pelvis is hinged at the hip so the top of the pelvis then pushes out. The result is the typical buttwink effect, causing the lower back to lose its arch and even go all convex on you. Not good.

OK. Before someone gets all whiney about that, yes the upper pelvis is anchored with internal "core" muscles as well and they could be an additonal cause if they are not holding their own. But generally it all starts with tight hams. Get them loose and the upper pelvic muscles will do their job.

I have personally seen someone go from "hello sailor" mega buttwink to Steve Prtchard gorilla back in about 15min and 3 sets just by stretching out the hams.

It depends on where the buttwink is coming from. A number of things cause it.

Most people I coach have buttwink from either a lack of upper back tightness (causing thoracic rounding, chest caving and butt rounding) or starting with their back in hyperextension.

Do you have any videos of your squats?

I fixed my buttwink by not giving a fuck
Kirk Karwoski squatted with buttwink, so do many weightlifters. It really doesn't matter

My back is in hyperextension, that's probably what starts it. I got someone at the gym (just some dude, no chicks at the time which made me rage hard) to take a look at my buttwink and they say its like a slight curl in my lower back, but upper back was still flat as.

Lol so you still got megawink going on then with your squat Oni? Are you not concerned about the healthy of your lower back?

No, I don't squat with buttwink.
I used to, but I simply never gave a fuck to be honest. I've come to the conclusion that weak people are the only people that care about buttwink. Not having a stab at you, I don't even know how much you squat. Post up a video, there probably isn't that much wrong with it at all that won't be fixed by more squatting.

Lots of people will tell you, you need to do some "mobility" or whatever, or some special exercise in order to fix whatever it is the problem is you're having. Chances are you're simply not strong enough to hold the position it is you're trying to hold. Like yoga, I can get into those positions, I'm easily mobile enough but holding them? Hell no I'm not strong enough. Lifting is just the same you're just doing it under load for a shorter period of time.

To conclude, post a video to make sure you're not doing anything stupid, then keep squatting until you shit blood, weep five times distilled vodka, sweat 500 mg/cc testosterone and piss growth hormone

Hate the term. Can we use "hip tuck" or something else instead?

I'm squatting heavy and my form suffers. My anus is not asking for attention from anyone.

Yeah I like the term hip tuck better. Not sure why anyone would consider that their butt is 'winking', except plumbers maybe.. but thats another story.

Nothing but solid advice from 0ni in this thread....

Do you have any science to back your claims up 0ni? Because there is plenty out there to suggest otherwise, so maybe you should stop dishing out bullshit advice...

Do you have any science to back your claims up 0ni? Because there is plenty out there to suggest otherwise, so maybe you should stop dishing out bullshit advice...

I lol'ed.

Soooooooooo, suddenly form is irrelevant. Lemmeseenow. So having a concave lower back is not important. The way to solve the lower back rounding is to squat more with heavier chit on your back.

Ferk.

I got it all wrong. I better go do some of dem dere rounded back squats then some rounded back deadlifts. That will make me strong.

clay_davis_shit.jpg

It always makes me cringe when I see hip-tuck on a squatter, and in some cases due to their leverages and hip shape and width...this hip-tuck is something that cannot be fixed, other than not going too low.

in their case all the goblet's, weird mobility shit, door knob squats, paused free squatting, will do squat.

which one are you.

if you can squat low, do it, if you cannot, don't, pretty simple, it doesn't make you any tougher if you go ATG.

Last edited:
It always makes me cringe when I see hip-tuck on a squatter, and in some cases due to their leverages and hip shape and width...this hip-tuck is something that cannot be fixed, other than not going too low.

in their case all the goblet's, weird mobility shit, door knob squats, paused free squatting, will do squat.

which one are you.

if you can squat low, do it, if you cannot, don't, pretty simple, it doesn't make you any tougher if you go ATG.

I could never squat low, I'd fall backwards, I'd hip tuck, I was doing what I'd now call 1/4 squats, I was missing out on all the magic at the bottom. I found a great coach and I worked on it.
When we first started out he said "let's do some air squats".
I said, and this may remind you of someone in this thread straight away, "I can't get into the right position, let's put some weight on, that helps force me into the right position"....
He said "if you can't get into the right position without weight, it's not safe for you to do it with weight"

I use to think maybe not everyone can hit this kind of depth, maybe some people just aren't built for it, but every healthy child can hit this depth no problem, so where is the missing link between child and adult? If you can't hit this kind of depth and you don't have an underlying medical condition that prevents you then you probably can hit good depth but you choose not to by not working on it and doing what you need to do.

I could never squat low, I'd fall backwards, I'd hip tuck, I was doing what I'd now call 1/4 squats, I was missing out on all the magic at the bottom. I found a great coach and I worked on it.
When we first started out he said "let's do some air squats".
I said, and this may remind you of someone in this thread straight away, "I can't get into the right position, let's put some weight on, that helps force me into the right position"....
He said "if you can't get into the right position without weight, it's not safe for you to do it with weight"

I use to think maybe not everyone can hit this kind of depth, maybe some people just aren't built for it, but every healthy child can hit this depth no problem, so where is the missing link between child and adult? If you can't hit this kind of depth and you don't have an underlying medical condition that prevents you then you probably can hit good depth but you choose not to by not working on it and doing what you need to do.

It would of been about 10 to 12 years ago when a OHP lecturer came to our work to discuss MH, he showed us a picture of an infant squatting, well I thought that was an amazing thing, I got onto one of these types of forums and started on this, if an infant can....because nobody squatted, it went viral.

it soon became apparent to me, that this was a silly analogy.

the difference with an infant is the size of the head in relationship to the body, and what I noticed over the years to now is that even the in all infants, children and adults that squat to the level that the calve is touching the arse their are varying degrees of hip-tuck.

But its not necessarily hip-tuck the damages IVD's, but the twisting of the spine under load.

I thought that using 'hip drahve' fixed buttwink. That said Rip also says to only squat as low as you can with arched lower back and tight hamstrings and no lower.

Is there? Post it.