• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

bench press inside a power rack

bumperplates

I'm loving all the great advice on the forums, and I have one quick question to add to it. :)

I've recently bought a power rack, and I can't seem to touch my lower chest due to where the safeties are placed in the power rack.

I can place my elbows parallel to the bar but that still doesn't touch my chest, and if I place the safeties one level lower, then I won't have any safety when doing them, and it would mean that I would have to re-adjust when I'm doing squats.

Will I lose much performance if I continue down this path, or does the bar need to touch my chest?

Thanks in advance!

Generally speaking, full (longer) movement is better at activating more fibres, but not at the risk of getting pinned.
1. How much gap?
2. Do you have dumbbells you could include?
Don't stress yourself over it.

Where are you putting the bar in the event of a failed lift? My safeties are low enough that the bar just makes contact with my neck but with no pressure. Then I just slide out sideways.

I guess it depends on the spacing of the safety adjustments.

Where are you putting the bar in the event of a failed lift? My safeties are low enough that the bar just makes contact with my neck but with no pressure. Then I just slide out sideways.

I guess it depends on the spacing of the safety adjustments.

Fark, "the bar just makes contact with my neck" sounds as safe as a good double dose of Craze and firearms. :D

bar only really needs to touch the chest if you compete in powerlifting
as long as you're not being half-reps mcgee

Raise the bench up on rubber flooring mats, bumper plates whatever.

When I am doing partials for whatever exercise, sometimes even 1" can dramatically change the difficulty level.

You only need to protect your neck. If you need to raise the bench only raise it that far. And definitely bench to your chest. Its far better for for your shoulders.

Thanks for the advice. Ill try send a video tonight, but if I lower it to the next level then I think it touches my neck. One thing I haven't tried is arching my chest. Maybe that will give me the extra space I need.

Ill also see about the flooring, and I bought rubber flooring already that's being used for the whole floor :)

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Does it touch the upper or lower chest, and I'm using one of those folding benches where part of my bottom sits on the lower seat, and partially in the groove between the lower and upper seat.
Would this also affect my overall ability with performing the chest exercise correctly
?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

I'm loving all the great advice on the forums, and I have one quick question to add to it. :)

I've recently bought a power rack, and I can't seem to touch my lower chest due to where the safeties are placed in the power rack.

I can place my elbows parallel to the bar but that still doesn't touch my chest, and if I place the safeties one level lower, then I won't have any safety when doing them, and it would mean that I would have to re-adjust when I'm doing squats.

Will I lose much performance if I continue down this path, or does the bar need to touch my chest?

Thanks in advance!

how far off the chest is it?

Could just put something underneath the rack or the bench to change the height.. Only problem if you raise the bench is getting your feet on the ground in a comfortable position.
As long as it's stable this should be the best option.
Get the bars at a height just below your "inflated" chest height, you should then be able to squeeze under when you're not pushing the weight, or as others have said, get the bar up to your neck when you need to escape. Shouldn't ever really have a hard failure on bench and not be able to at least lower it in a controlled fashion.

[MENTION=17230]bumperplates[/MENTION];

How far off the chest is the bar?

20mm, 30, 40?

Is the rack just on concrete or carpet?
In the house or out in the garage?

come on throw me a freaken bone here.

Are you arching your back at all?
On mine, if I am without an arch then I hit the bars each time. With an arch it is fine

Silverback and co,

How far off the chest is the bar?

The rack is on 15mm rubber matting in the garage (which is on a cement slab).

Should I count the distance from my lower chest or upper chest as I have no chest at the moment! :(