• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Slow and steady weight loss? I think not

Are you saying that you believe there is less adaptive thermogenesis with a crash diet like a PSMF than with a regular smaller calorie deficit?

That is the first I've seen anyone ever say that crash dieting works for long term maintenance. I think the 1000's of soccer mum's on lemon detox diet agree :p

And in my N=1 experience, every time I have used RFL (PSMF) I have had to be VERY careful with the intake after finishing. Going straight back to my previous maintenance calories always adds back some fat. (yes, technically I should do it slower after the refeed but I am typically starving by that time)

It takes longer than a few weeks to get a metabolic slowdown, even Layme says that!
I've been "dieting" now since October. I much prefer this method. Even if I do get a bit of a rebound, it's OK. The net gain will still be far leaner than I began with

I plan on coming out of this by adding in higher calorie days as well. At the moment I'm doing 6 days PSMF then one MEAL (not an entire day, that did not end well) where I can stuff my face. Plus, I'll still be keto dieting so think the fat gain should be pretty minimal. We will see anyway, I've seen a lot of dudes online on forums do this. I can always add in starve days as well, it's not as if you fatass overnight right?

i lost around 30kg in like 5 months about 5 years ago, Just fuks loads of cardio and kick boxing... didnet even know what a calorie was back then.. I only put it back on because i stopped training for 2 years, Smoked bongs and ate a double quarter pounder meal on the way home each night after a full day of meals, and just had a shit diet in general.

This time round i understand nutrition, after my low cal stint this time il slowly increase the cals, 100% wont be stopping any training this time round so im very confident. And ive been lifitng weights that i never used to do.

I think after 2-6 months (depending on how fat somebody is) they should throw out the scales and use body-fat testing as a measure.

The mirror, waist measurement and body-fat mean more than a number on the scales.

After I dumped 45kg in my first 12 weeks, I started to concentrate allot more on the waist measurement than scales.

I am not a fan of the Biggest Loser approach, they lift light weights and don't give a crap about muscle loss, which 30% on average of their weight-loss is LBM, and then wonder why they all have loose skin and hide behind a T-shirt at finale time.

I think you should stop thinking you're going to be like every other statistic and take control of your life

Are you saying that you believe there is less adaptive thermogenesis with a crash diet like a PSMF than with a regular smaller calorie deficit?

That is the first I've seen anyone ever say that crash dieting works for long term maintenance. I think the 1000's of soccer mum's on lemon detox diet agree :p

And in my N=1 experience, every time I have used RFL (PSMF) I have had to be VERY careful with the intake after finishing. Going straight back to my previous maintenance calories always adds back some fat. (yes, technically I should do it slower after the refeed but I am typically starving by that time)

I have to agree. I unintentionally went on a crash diet in the second half of last year and then increased my kcals a bit too quickly and put on fat as a result, based on my DEXA scan results.

for a couple of weeks, s'ok ... long term, based on my N = 1 experience of many years of restricted kcals, I'd be wary of claiming it was a good strategy.

I would not be tossing out all the evidence in favour of slow and steady weight loss for long term maintenance (which is as much about sustainable lifestyle changes and changes to eating habits as it is about kcals) for one paper saying otherwise.

not by eating "too much" but because your metabolism resets and you have to increase things slowly to rebuild your metabolic capacity.

Is there actually any real evidence of this happening?
I've been looking through pubmed for maybe 20 minutes now and can't find shit

I think you'll find its more a mental/lifestyle change thing than anything - this is what causes the weight gain again - even after a "slow weight loss" - most people think of fantastic I have reached my goals I can have abit of this and that and next minute they have gained half the weight back.

Its honestly easy to lose weight - people who say its hard are simply not trying - the biggest thing comes when you have reached your "goal" - you need to change your lifestyle - you of course cant keep dieting and eating how you were when dieting and you of course cant go back to eating how you were and expect to stay at your goal weight - you have to change your lifestyle and include exercise and a healthy diet long term and of course treats here and there....

People gain their weight back mainly due to the reason above - there is a whole industry around the process of dropping the weight - which as I said is the easy part - eat less, do exercise - and that process may only take 3,6,12 months to acheieve - but what about the next 20,30,40,50,60 years that you going to need to keep the weight off? Where is the information about that?

People are in control of their own weight loss and weight gain - the difference is what you do after you reach your goal not during...

Last edited:
I think you'll find its more a mental/lifestyle change thing than anything - this is what causes the weight gain again - even after a "slow weight loss" - most people think of fantastic I have reached my goals I can have abit of this and that and next minute they have gained half the weight back.

Its honestly easy to lose weight - people who say its hard are simply not trying - the biggest thing comes when you have reached your "goal" - you need to change your lifestyle - you of course cant keep dieting and eating how you were when dieting and you of course cant go back to eating how you were and expect to stay at your goal weight - you have to change your lifestyle and include exercise and a healthy diet long term and of course treats here and there....

People gain their weight back mainly due to the reason above - there is a whole industry around the process of dropping the weight - which as I said is the easy part - eat less, do exercise - and that process may only take 3,6,12 months to acheieve - but what about the next 20,30,40,50,60 years that you going to need to keep the weight off? Where is the information about that?

People are in control of their own weight loss and weight gain - the difference is what you do after you reach your goal not during...

I would say losing weight is simple.

Simple but not easy.

I would say losing weight is simple.

Simple but not easy.

That is much of a muchness wouldnt you say?

I lost over 40kgs between the age of 14-15 within 6 months - with no knowledge of how to drop weight/no knowledge of exercise etc (of course did personal study during this time) - I simply ate less, walked an hour or 2 a day and did small bodyweight workouts at home.

If its purely weight loss - its not hard at all - the only hard part will be the mental part, and the drive to do it. The mental + drive alot of the time = "oh I have bad genetics" "oh I cant find the time" blah blah....

That is much of a muchness wouldnt you say?

I lost over 40kgs between the age of 14-15 within 6 months - with no knowledge of how to drop weight/no knowledge of exercise etc (of course did personal study during this time) - I simply ate less, walked an hour or 2 a day and did small bodyweight workouts at home.

If its purely weight loss - its not hard at all - the only hard part will be the mental part, and the drive to do it. The mental + drive alot of the time = "oh I have bad genetics" "oh I cant find the time" blah blah....

The are totally different.

Weight loss is simple. Eat less, do more.

Doesn't make it easy.

Easy would be just eating what ever you want.
Its hard for most people to stick to a diet. Just because its the mental part doesn't make it easy. The mental part is the hardest, you are fighting what your brain is wired to do.

The are totally different.

Weight loss is simple. Eat less, do more.

Doesn't make it easy.

Easy would be just eating what ever you want.
Its hard for most people to stick to a diet. Just because its the mental part doesn't make it easy. The mental part is the hardest, you are fighting what your brain is wired to do.

That is what I just said....

It is easy if someone is in the right mindset and is driven....this is where most people fail.

I am very cut throat when it comes to these sorts of things and have no time for people who say they can not drop weight - you can - you simply need to focus yourself....if a 14 year old kid can do it with no knowledge then anyone can do it.....

This is the world we live in though now - it is so easy for people to be weak minded....

If it was easy we'd have no fat people.

And I'd be slimmer than I should.

This is what I mean - "If it was easy we'd have no fat people"

What do you mean by that comment? Do you think all fat people are currently trying to drop weight and cant due to other factors than simply not trying hard enough?

Come on mate.......

It is easy to drop weight - it is not easy for people to motivate and drive themselves to wanting to achieve their goals though.....

Weight loss isnt hard - its simply peoples mental state - and this brings about excuses about how they cant drop weight - when really they just need to stop eating and f**king exercise....

We dont have a culture of unhealthy people brought on by the take-away industry - we have a culture of lazy people not willing to work for a goal....

Dont get caught up in all the shit look at it simply and dont make excuses for lazy people.

Being fat is brought on by laziness - simple as that.

And I know this because I was a lazy fat 120kg 14 yr old - so I am not sitting here judging people when I have never experienced it myself.