• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Comments welcome - Carb Cycling

M

MyRok

Hi Everyone,

Im new on AUSBB and wanted to get some feedback on my current plan from people with more experience at this than I do.

First, about me.
Male
40yo
175cm
81kg
18% bodyfat
Goal 10% Bodyfat (maintain if not build muscle)

What I have decided is to go back to my old Carb Cycling routine along with split session weights and cardio.

My weight plan alternates between main exercises to keep heart rate up. So flat bench then bicep curls. 1 set of each until all sets done, then another chest with another bicep until all sets done. Everyday has abs. Weights are heavy. max 6 reps.

Weights:
Mon Legs/Shoulders/Traps/Abs
Wed Chest/Biceps/Abs
Fri Back/Triceps/Glutes/Abs

Cardio:
Thu (beach Volleyball 1Hr)
Sat or Sun 2 hours mountain bike(competitive)
Try to do at least one other session a week. Boxing, run, HIIT.

Day Cycle Carb/Pro/Fat/Cals
Mon High 191/170/28/1700
Tue No 15/165/53/1200
Wed High 191/170/28/1700
Thu No 15/165/53/1200
Fri High/Cheat 200/225/33/2000
Sat No 15/165/53/1200
Sun No 15/165/53/1200

Apart from breakfast every day that has Carbs in it, on NO carb days I reduce carbs as much as I can. On all days I try to reduce carbs at dinner time.
I get my nutrition from:

Protein:
WPI(mixed with almond milk)
Chicken
Fish(mostly salmon)
Prawns
Ham
Lean beef
Eggs Whole and whites)

Carbs:
Rolled Oats(mixed with protein shakes)
Potato (sweet and white)
Corn
Beans

Fat:
Udo’s Oil
Almonds
Olive oil(cooking)
Sesame oil (cooking)
From meats and eggs
Cheese (bega tasty stix)

I eat veggies too but probably not enough. Just not hungry after eating my 5 meals a day.

Would be great to get feedback. Meal ideas for carb cycling. Recipes. Any feedback welcome.

MyRok

Last edited:
The low/no carb days have 165g of carbs
This is too high to get the benefit from not eating carbs

15g of protein a day is a tragic amount as well
In fact, it looks like you should switch the protein and carb macros around. To the point where it looks like you may have accidentally done this lol

Correction

The low/no carb days have 165g of carbs
This is too high to get the benefit from not eating carbs

15g of protein a day is a tragic amount as well
In fact, it looks like you should switch the protein and carb macros around. To the point where it looks like you may have accidentally done this lol

hey Oni, yeh, have edited the post now to show exactly that. had them around the wrong way.

yeah it's fine
on the cheat day, I'd eat nothing but the cheat meal and just go nuts until you're full. Then follow it up the next day by only eating lean protein and starve myself as long as possible

personal preference really. You'll get to 70kg pretty rapidly the way you've laid it out though

Why carb cycling? Any reason in particular?

Just hitting daily macros over extended periods of time is what gets results, keep carbs as high as possible without sacrificing calorie goals would be a more optimal way of going about it, assuming you have no medical conditions..

Cheat days are old school, they throw caloric totals for the week completely up in the air, you'd be better eating a little more everyday and not having the binge, if u want to eat more weekends, that's fine allow for it in your daily totals leading up

Curious as to what effect keeping carbs as high as possible supposedly has

I keep mine as low as possible 5 days per week and am currently ~8kg down in 12 weeks, 2 days per week are epic binge days.

Performance, higher micronutrient values, a lot more benefits than keeping them as low as possible

I'd like to see what evidence you have that carbohydrate increases performance and contains higher levels of essential micronutrients

Thanks

I'd like to see what evidence you have that carbohydrate increases performance and contains higher levels of essential micronutrients

Thanks

Can you post studies showing that having an eating disorder helps your performance.

Thanks

Really? Do h have Facebook? Follow, the 3dmj guys, Layne, Alan, hell even fucking Kev and Olympus put shit up everyday

Carb free vegetables like brassica family, spinach etc contain 100% of everything you need. EVERYTHING

Plenty of people have performed at an elite level on a ketogenic diet. Fred Hatfield for example. There is no reason to eat carbohydrate if you do not wish to and the effect restriction has on your insulin sensitivity has plenty of health benefits. If you wish, I can link plenty of sources and citations for this- there would be pages and pages of them

My experience - if you are maintaining on keto, you should not see a decrease in performance if you do it properly, it is usually the associated weight loss that it causes for fat fucks like me that saps strength. But eventually it levels out, i hadn't squatted raw for 16 weeks but easily hit 95% of my previous max at 89kg, at 80.5kg.

The issue is people go into it thinking about how hard training is going to be, it's mostly mental.

Eating low carb because of preference is ok if that's just your preference, but someone who is carb cycling and having cheat days is more than likely doing it because they think it has a benefit, rather than preference

Eating low carb because of preference is ok if that's just your preference, but someone who is carb cycling and having cheat days is more than likely doing it because they think it has a benefit, rather than preference

The benefit is increased insulin sensitivity

i can eat 500g of carbs and wake up leaner than the previous morning. as 0ni has said its about sensitivity

Carb free vegetables like brassica family, spinach etc contain 100% of everything you need. EVERYTHING

Plenty of people have performed at an elite level on a ketogenic diet. Fred Hatfield for example. There is no reason to eat carbohydrate if you do not wish to and the effect restriction has on your insulin sensitivity has plenty of health benefits. If you wish, I can link plenty of sources and citations for this- there would be pages and pages of them

Nothing contains 100% of everything you need. That's why we should eat a varied diet.

Oni jumping on a new food this week it looks like. What will next week bring.

Last edited: