• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

improving squats and deads 5x5 hitting wall

parfittron

Hey all, new to the forum but have been on and off weight training for several years.

I've been consistently at it about 8 months now and have hit a very low wall on squats and dead lifts..

I've been doing 5*5 with dead/press one day, squat and bench the other. Usually twice each workout each week, alternating the main lift I start with, then some extras.

Bench and press have gone ahead beyond anything I've ever got to before, 95*5, 102.5*2 on bench, 60*5 on press, but can't get beyond 125*5 dead and about 85*5 squats at bw of about 88, which suck.

I had some issues with weakness and discomfort in my left knee, caused by running, a few months back, but after many Physio visits, 2 different GPs, no one diagnosed anything wrong and while the pain is gone, it still feels weak and I just can't seem to build strength back into it..

Any suggestions on program changes, exercises to try, volume changes etc people can recommend to help me get it going again?

Cheers

Please outline training protocol you are following...

If it's 5x5 stronglifts.... Sound nothing like what your doing...

I'm not exactly following strong lifts, it was a variation of it I found somewhere.. It has worked well upper body, but am looking for a change to help address the issue that my knee has been causing..

I've been doing 5*5 squats/bench + some assistance Monday/Thursday
And 5*5 dead/press + assistance on Tuesday/Friday.

Try adding 3x10 of a variation of one of the main lifts to your program.

Floor press, close grip bench, wider stance squats, something like that. A bit more volume and some more eating (but not so much you get fat) has worked for me in the past.

Cheers JJ, those are the types of things I've been trying - loads of protein, extra squat and lunge variations, etc like hacks, wide stance, front squats. Tried adding cleans too but they seemed to flare up the knee.

If your really stuck try adding reps instead of weight. To do this go back to 3x5 squats at you current stuck weight. Then next squat session add a rep to do 3x6, then add a rep on the next session to get 3x7 etc adding a rep each session until you get to 3x10. Once you get to 3x10 successfully you can add 5kg and go back to 3x5 and repeat.

If this progression is to quick you can even slow it down by going back to increasing only 1 actual rep per session. So session 1 is 5/5/5, session 2 is 6/5/5, session 3 is 6/6/5, session 4 is 6/6/6 etc until you hit 3x10

Doing this is just thinking about progression a little differently. If your stuck at bodyweight it shouldn't take too much of a change to get you past it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fkn really?

Dude has asked for help and that's what you give him...

This is all he needs
He doesn't need some magical program or adjustment lol. Just needs to train more, let's not delude ourselves here. He's been at it 8 months and just needs to squat and deadlift. If that doesn't do it then he needs to do more and that is it.

I didn't feel like sugar coating it today

This is all he needs
He doesn't need some magical program or adjustment lol. Just needs to train more, let's not delude ourselves here. He's been at it 8 months and just needs to squat and deadlift. If that doesn't do it then he needs to do more and that is it.

Well that is true. I was expecting some sort of "take it easy on the knee" type response.

Are you saying more volume going to releive him of his knee pain?, I was taught the opposite that's all.

Well that is true. I was expecting some sort of "take it easy on the knee" type response.

Are you saying more volume going to releive him of his knee pain?, I was taught the opposite that's all.

"volume" is very broad
sets of 2 reps at 80% will be very easy on the knees
brutal rep PBs will not be lol

You can get very strong just knocking out set after set of 2-3 reps at 75-80% of 1RM. Just do a lot of reps. It's practice, that's all. You don't need some incremental progression or other such. It's just an easy way of explaining it to novices that's all

Guy I help online, he is a fatso and is dieting hard. I have him do front squats, press, deadlift 3x a week and dips/chins the other two. He just picks a weight he can do 5 or 6 reps with and does as many sets of 3 reps as I can lol. The weight depends on the day and he is setting PBs without even maxing with doing this on very low calories. He is stronger than me on the strict press now, 80kg, that feel lol

The dips and chins are done for the pump mainly. But basically you can always do more and increase volume no matter the situation. Even if you're not eating and broken, you can push volume at 75-80% and make good gains

no a coach is not what I do
I just point out when people are doing dumb shit, I'd never take credit for another persons achievements it's retarded

I guess I should have clarified that strengthening the knee is my main problem. Prior to hurting the knee early in December I was squatting 110*5 multiple sets. After the set back it just doesn't seem to be getting stronger - it actually feels like it's unstable.

Was looking to try and get some sessions at PTC or something for form as I definitely think that could be improved.

Wasn't asking for some magic, quick fix. Just ideas on how to build the strength back in it.

This is all he needs

I'm no expert, but I kinda agree..
Squats and deadlifts are easy to chicken out of. Even with a light weight it can feel like you've done a lot of work, I reckon this sticking point is all in the head.

Assuming current form is ok, I'd stick another 10kg on, do a rep and if it's ok do another rep. Might even get 5 out and realize that it's not the weight. Just make sure you play it safe with the squats and aren't going to kill yourself if you fail, and with the deadlift maintain the right shape. Should be easy for the first rep of both, you'll know when it's getting too hard. It might just be the push you need to get through the wall.

I remember a few months ago doing 5 reps of squats @ 102kg. It was the same as I'd lifted the previous workout. I got the first rep out, thought it felt a bit heavy but I was just having a bad day. Continued on and told myself to stop being a pussy, just managed to get my 5 reps out before realizing I had an extra 10kg on the bar...
I understand that with a lot of exercises this isn't going to be possible though obviously, sometimes when you're done you're done and it's just not possible to push any more.

Looks like the knee is all good structurally and no pain?

Do a 20 rep back-off set after your 5x5's

The weakness , is all in the head.

I guess I should have clarified that strengthening the knee is my main problem. Prior to hurting the knee early in December I was squatting 110*5 multiple sets. After the set back it just doesn't seem to be getting stronger - it actually feels like it's unstable.

Was looking to try and get some sessions at PTC or something for form as I definitely think that could be improved.

Wasn't asking for some magic, quick fix. Just ideas on how to build the strength back in it.

I had a skateboarding accident and did a number on my right knee... hasn't been the same since so I totally understand that unstable feeling. The odd thing is i get it more when im not squating or Dlifting.

Like Silver said, the weakness is in your mind BUT that's not saying it's not real so maybe do what Oni said - more reps less weight and keep an eye on it, talk to your physio about strengthening excercises or just google it ;) this is all just my opinion btw.

I'm investing in a pair of knee wraps just to use on my weak knee for extra support so you could always do that along with your strengthening work.