• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
This type of article has been and will continue to be repeated until I die.

It's really not a hard concept to pick up.

If you've ever written your own diet, or counted calories... its IIFYMFFS.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Its just common sense with a label - the only thing that changes for people is the food selection.

"I can say though if you are hitting a plateau IIFYM could be a good change that can break you out of your rut and get your body started again with changes."

HUH!!?

I've noticed this is good for getting the abs showing
But below that, you need a brutal deficit. And good luck doing that eating whatever you fancy in small amounts

I need less than 1,500kcal a day to get to below 8% at the moment and this is with very hard high volume training 4x a week. I've taken it down to 1,000kcal a day and this is pretty much entirely protein with maybe 50g of fats just for hormonal function. You won't lose muscle until you're very shredded, especially so with glycogen stores in the muscle. Weekly carb refeed until you're stuffed to refill the glycogen, after that I won't eat for 24h at least, not even protein to get insulin as low as possible

But below that, you need a brutal deficit. And good luck doing that eating whatever you fancy in small amounts

I need less than 1,500kcal a day to get to below 8% at the moment and this is with very hard high volume training 4x a week. I've taken it down to 1,000kcal a day and this is pretty much entirely protein with maybe 50g of fats just for hormonal function. You won't lose muscle until you're very shredded, especially so with glycogen stores in the muscle. Weekly carb refeed until you're stuffed to refill the glycogen, after that I won't eat for 24h at least, not even protein to get insulin as low as possible

How long would you stay on 1000 - 1500 calories?

any cardio?

To touch on muscle loss, i think that people with enough body fat can eat very low calories.

Me personally, ive tried to eat 500 below maintenance and all that, never works.

I feel you need to eat far lower, that way your body has more of a chance to use up the stored fats/energy.

Keep the protein high and lift a few times a week and muscle loss will be kept to a minimum

How long would you stay on 1000 - 1500 calories?

any cardio?

No cardio no, I train very high volume though, it is cardio enough
I will go for a walk when I am lethargic though

Just stay on the calories until lean... I had to pull out before because I needed to eat for a powerlifting meet, but back on for another week now then it's a strongman competition lol. Another week might be enough, might not. It's hard to tell it's pretty random.

It's miserable, it takes a lot of willpower. This muscle loss balony was indoctrinated into the fatsos minds. ppl so afraid to lose something they never had in the first place.its like the 30 year old virgin being afraid Sandra bulldog whom he never met beyond jacking one off to her on tv, him being afraid their affair might come to an end

No cardio no, I train very high volume though, it is cardio enough
I will go for a walk when I am lethargic though

Just stay on the calories until lean... I had to pull out before because I needed to eat for a powerlifting meet, but back on for another week now then it's a strongman competition lol. Another week might be enough, might not. It's hard to tell it's pretty random.

yer im going to trial it for the next 2 months and see how i go.

I dont think i can drop the carbs out but, I box 6 days a week and i really need that little bit of energy.

il try out on 1500

Last edited:
yer im going to trial it for the next 2 months and see how i go.

I dont think i can drop the carbs out but, I box 6 days a week and i really need that little bit of energy.

il try out on 1500

Well the macros is mostly personal preference
But for me when I drop it low I want it to be protein. When glycogen is depleted, this is when the muscle loss happens unless protein is high. Some carbs will prevent this but in a brutal deficit it won't help much as well

Energy will be up and down. You'll feel energised when training though.

Well the macros is mostly personal preference

But for me when I drop it low I want it to be protein. When glycogen is depleted, this is when the muscle loss happens unless protein is high. Some carbs will prevent this but in a brutal deficit it won't help much as well

Energy will be up and down. You'll feel energised when training though.

Training on 1500 calories. The last thing most people will be feeling is energized.

Not sure what your point is, @0ni; ??

With IIFYM you either eat in a deficit, at maintenance or in a surplus.
For deficits and surplus, the degree below or above maintenance depend on how aggressively you wish to pursue your goals.

It's about having a good macro balance, that is all.

PS If you have to eat around 1500kcals or below ... I'd be wondering what the heck is wrong with your metabolism?

For anyone not that familiar with IIFYM, it is not about eating junk.

The article in the OP is not a great resource perhaps either.

I've been IIFYMing for ages. In fact, even before I strictly counted macros, i was still pretty much IIFYMing by instinct.

It's not rocket science.

Last edited:
0ni, not a chance i could train on less than 2000 calories per day, body is nowhere near efficient enough to utilise the calories without some help.

Even at 2000 i feel lethargic, 3 days per week at 2000 is more than enough for me, even with 2 days at 3800 and 2 at 2000 with carbs i still feel it.

Training on 1500 calories. The last thing most people will be feeling is energized.

i ate 1300 yesterday, around 2000 on Sunday so mabey that's were the energy came from

6am Hill sprints
Lifted in lunch break, back to work
after work, skipping for half hour, boxing for 1 hour

Backed up with a 6km run this morning, and have boxing tonight

Ill be under 1500 calories for today....

I think with my body fat sitting at 24% at the moment i have a lot of stored energy that i can use when i want to push. Its all in the mind.

Its to early in the game to see yet, Il give it 2 months and see how i go.