• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I train in a very "bodybuilder" fashion at the moment. It's the only way I feel I can train while in a massive caloric deficit

Only change is number of reps per set really. But since training this way all aches and pains, niggles have reduced to nothing. I have started wearing a belt on squats again, hopefully now is the right time and I won't get injured again. I am not gaining strength anywhere near as fast as when I was constantly pushing for rep PBs and volume over 90%

Who says that's not what we do lol.

For the bench press, the first 1/3 of training, is no arch, coupled with lots of close grip work.

2nd third of training has an arch to create stability and tightness.

Final third will be full comp style.
Big arches ect.

The grip doesn't change though.
And the difference in bar height from having my wrists above my elbow, to complete width is no where near 4 inches lol. 1-2 tops.

1. No one says you don't, that ive read anyway, just asking the general question.

2. You'd be suprised how much extra distance ("having my wrists above my elbow")the arm moves around the shoulder joint.
For some there can be in excess of 4 in ~ 100mm oh, and LOL....

Last edited:
I think we are trying to argue the same point.......

If you just stick to squat, bench and deads, all comp style, your career will most likely end sooner.

This is not how I train my lifters.

They all focus on the PL movement 1-2 times per session, then train in a body builder style for the remainder.

They do this for 9 months, then 3 months BB work.

I think you would find most actual power lifters train in this style.

If you just stick to squat, bench and deads, all comp style, your career will most likely end sooner.

They all focus on the PL movement 1-2 times per session, then train in a body builder style for the remainder.

It's hard to convey stuff here, I'm not a mental giant when trying to type stuff.

But my thought was\is that whatever is happening too much time is spent on the three PL lifts and not enough time spent on exercises that protect and improve the body, but as you say it's a long season and a short off season, it's clearly not practical.
let's leave it at that.

It's hard to convey stuff here, I'm not a mental giant when trying to type stuff.

But my thought was\is that whatever is happening too much time is spent on the three PL lifts and not enough time spent on exercises that protect and improve the body, but as you say it's a long season and a short off season, it's clearly not practical.
let's leave it at that.

You forgot the lol

Do you have any bodybuilding routines/approaches you favour?

None specifically man, 8-15 reps for 3-6 sets, 4-6 exercises per session.

Make the program balanced, with heaps of rows and you're good to go mate.

woah, kinda off topic

mma: tore right hip flexor off bone. (MOST PAINFUL BY FAR!) Bruised fibia from foot going into it after checked kick.
random: ac joint, turned to bursitis and degenerative arthiritis
Lifting: QL strain: no squats or deads for a few months
groin tear: no squats for 3 months
tricep tear: no pressing for 2 months
lower trap tear: from deficit deadlifts I believe
Bursitis in both hips: I beleve from volume of sumo deadlifts. (despite doing a LOT of mobility work)
Have worked back through all of these. Rest the area involved and focus on other stuff e.g. when I had bad shoulder injury I was doing plenty of dip belt squats. Now with the hip injury I'm doing a lot of upper body stuff and very minimal lower body.

woah, kinda off topic

mma: tore right hip flexor off bone. (MOST PAINFUL BY FAR!) Bruised fibia from foot going into it after checked kick.
Bursitis in both hips: I beleve from volume of sumo deadlifts. (despite doing a LOT of mobility work)
Have worked back through all of these. Rest the area involved and focus on other stuff e.g. when I had bad shoulder injury I was doing plenty of dip belt squats. Now with the hip injury I'm doing a lot of upper body stuff and very minimal lower body.

A lot of hurt for a young net-baller.

Currently have annoying left foot pain. Had xrays yesterday and will find out results on Thursday. Doc currently got me on anti inflams.

Tore my brachialis about 15 year ago. Had a couple of niggling shoulder impingement/rotar cuff and hip problems. Nothing to extreme.

Tight left shoulder
Intermittent ankle pain
Tight left hip
Can't kneel on right knee or it sends shooting pain out the side.

Phuckity phuck.. phaaaark! :mad:

Totally just broke a nail on my thumb a funny way... now i'll have the sharp sticky outy bit annoying me all frickkin' day... Not happy man. Not happy :eek:

woah, kinda off topic

Turns out that was actually a bulging disc.

Yay for feeling like a cripple!