• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Fucked my ac joint in my shoulder bench pressing, numerous stitches/bruising and a broken foot at mma, almost a year of Crossfit and no injures, actually my shoulder has gained more mobility since starting and yeah I kip :p, what did we clear up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine are mostly running injuries but they were all major and put me out of action for AGES :(

2006 - torn hamstring and simultaneous left ankle injury (soleus) while running. Couldn't run properly for 18 months and took me a while to get back to it for a while after that. No squatting either. Has left a permanent left ankle mobility issue that would require surgery to fix (not gonna happen). Not a major issue though.

2010 - left hip injury (running again). No squats, no running for 9 months. Long rehab. Lots of single leg work. Upside - gave me an appreciation for imbalances between right and left that we all have to some extent and I've been working on it ever since with great success ... left and right almost the same now :)

2012 - right hip ligament tear from sumo squats and sprinting (too much without sufficient rest). No squats and no lots of other stuff for over a year. Just started squatting again properly in December 13.
This has been the worst ever. I still have pain from muscle spasms and probably need to see a physio again. I manage it and I can squat fine but some moves aggravate it (high step ups are BAD). Have not been able to run since.

I miss running/sprinting/whatever.

I also have a depressed left scapula but that is not from an unjury, just the way it is. This makes any overhead lifting/pressing very hard and random in terms of whether I can lift or my arm will suddenly fail and drop a weight on my head. Ergo, I really hate pressing overhead :(

I always find it distressing but then it also means I have to challenge myself to work around it. I've got a great coach who's really helped work around injuries to still get my training done so as to minimise pain and max my recovery.

Don't let it get to you .. get creative :)

Only one of significance from lifting was something in my right shoulder which I trained through and as a result took about 18mths to heel, but in all this time it never hurt to lift it only hurt afterwards or doing silly stuff like putting on a T-shirt or closing doors etc....

Most of 2012 I tore a muscle in my rotator cuff. And because I was stubborn and stupid it last longer than it should have.
The last months of 2013 I had an adductor play up, maybe caused by my attempt to go wide stance squatting. I went to a reputable physio, backed off the weights and let it come good...
Right now I have the slightest bit of elbow tendonitis but nothing major, 2 week break coming up soon :)

2010 nationals - popped SI joint.

2010 push/pull - popped SI joint.

2012 nationals tore both rec. fems.

2013 nats prep, 3.2x 1.9x 2.8cm tear in left pec.

6 weeks later smaller tear in right pec.

Worlds prep 2013 tore right post. Delt.

2010 nationals - popped SI joint.

2010 push/pull - popped SI joint.

2012 nationals tore both rec. fems.

2013 nats prep, 3.2x 1.9x 2.8cm tear in left pec.

6 weeks later smaller tear in right pec.

Worlds prep 2013 tore right post. Delt.

competing is a dangerous thing for you!

Bring competitive in any sport is dangerous.

It's coming back from injuries that test and make an athlete.

I wonder if a powerlifters career would last longer if more time was spent doing bodybiulding work and less time on the three competative ones, a collection of exercises should be used to protect and strengthen the joints?

I mean, the skills involved in those three competative moves are quite low, so there isn't really a need to spend too much time on them, too much time really takes it's toll on the body.

in the three months leading up to a meet, then more time should be focused on those three lifts?

Quite a similar approach to what I have my team do.

Though it's more off season and on season.

Unfortunately the season runs for 9 months, so that only leaves 3 months for off season training.

A squat session for us would look like

Squat
SLDL
Paused squats
BB row
Reverse flys
Abs.

1 PL movement, 1 heavy accessory movement, then some BB movements.

Obviously muscle plays a big role in powerlifting, and not just because of the potential for more strength.

I'd also argue, that whilst they may not be as technical as a snatch or clean and jerk, there is quite a bit of skill involved - especially when you are quite strong.

Squatting 60kg is quite simple, it's quite a lot different at 300kg-400kg

Yeah
What i suppose I'm trying to say is, (and I think i find it difficult to explain) would there be benefit in focusing on making the movement harder?

for example the PL bench press; you position yourself in a way that ensures the bar moves least possible distance, but doing so places extreme pressure on the joints involved; the wrist angle, the lower back compression, the shoulder locked into the bench, looks like it could takes its toll.

If one could spend more time doing the exercise (barbell or DBell) that ensures there is full range of movement, that the positioning of the hand ensures the resitance of the weight is directly in-line with the forearm, means the bar is going to travel an extra 4 inches, in those extra 4 inches, the shoulder and the muscles surrounding the shoulder are recieving a good anmount of movement.

closer to a meet you change focus back to the modified PL movements 1RM's and max kg's?
Whatever that "closer" means would be individual, meaning skill level.

Who says that's not what we do lol.

For the bench press, the first 1/3 of training, is no arch, coupled with lots of close grip work.

2nd third of training has an arch to create stability and tightness.

Final third will be full comp style.
Big arches ect.

The grip doesn't change though.
And the difference in bar height from having my wrists above my elbow, to complete width is no where near 4 inches lol. 1-2 tops.