• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

"Big on the Basics: Beyond" Deadlifting with Richard Hawthorne

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
In this special "Beyond" installment of Animal's powerlifting tutorial series, "Big on the Basics", all-time world record-holder and Animal athlete Richard "The Ant" Hawthorne, breaks down the conventional deadlift in extreme detail. This is a master's class in the art of deadlifting, conducted by one of the strongest human beings, pound for pound, on the planet. The Ant won CAPO and he totaled 11.4 x his bodyweight. Take notes and watch your weights go through the roof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ5rY_beDLY

Everyone who is serious about dead-lifting and lifting weight in general needs to watch this guy!

His philosophy is outstanding.

Hands down the best instructional video on lifting a weight I have ever seen

And this little gem...."Explosion, that's chaos"

Yeah I liked it.

Not the usual get your hips down which is all you seem to hear from people when It comes to the deadlift and usually from people with a shit deadlift.

good vid.. except if you don't have the same length limbs.. and can't get the angles and position right for arms and pushing your shins forward or bum down etc

definitely good pointers though.

good vid.. except if you don't have the same length limbs.. and can't get the angles and position right for arms and pushing your shins forward or bum down etc

definitely good pointers though.

Yeah that dictates a lot of things.

But the set up should be universal, and his is correct., that's just my opinion of course.

That was awsome. Recently i have felt my arse is to high and im not low enough but seems i was right where i should be. Deff need to work on the hip drive though, probably my weakest bit. i do find when im in the same pos as him, its a fucking long way down to that bar tho

Ah here it is.

So i did deads today using a push as apposed to pull. Really felt good and added to my lifts..altho that could be the gear lol. There is a clear difference beteeen pulling it and driving through the hips. Arse was pretty sore, probably engaged some muscle that had been being lazy before.

Only negative is that due to my height i think, for my shins to be straight up my back is on the cusp of rounding in order to reach the bar..even when getting my arse lower but keep the shin straight. With the bhip drive my backs not rounded for long

Best lifting vid ive watched

Ah here it is.

So i did deads today using a push as apposed to pull. Really felt good and added to my lifts..altho that could be the gear lol. There is a clear difference beteeen pulling it and driving through the hips. Arse was pretty sore, probably engaged some muscle that had been being lazy before.

Only negative is that due to my height i think, for my shins to be straight up my back is on the cusp of rounding in order to reach the bar..even when getting my arse lower but keep the shin straight. With the bhip drive my backs not rounded for long

Best lifting vid ive watched

What I like to do is consider it as a kettlebell swing
I'll push the floor away from the bar and then spread the floor as high as possible thinking about nothing but locking the knees out explosively. Don't even think about the hips it happens naturally (for me)

Give it a go sometime, might be easier, might not

The reason it's so good is that he says not to drag the bar up the shins. Thank Christ for that.

Also, his cues and set up work a charm

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk