• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Final Rep: Re-evaluating the Practice of "Training to Failure"

I'm seeing table tennis (as well as dips) in the above video. So is table tennis another MUST?

Who's the westerner who travelled to train with them for months on end hu!? You make it sound as if the Chinese are winning all the gold medals at the world championships and Olympic games, which is simply not the case and insulting to other top world ranking weightlifters.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Why would they have the table tennis in there if it didn't benefit them?
Obviously it's a benefit to their athletes to be able to play table tennis. It's what they enjoy and have fun doing

I guess these Chinese fellas are lying to us all, hahaha. They are dominating the worlds stage looking jacked as fuck by accident.

One of the points Klokov mentioned during his tour was Americans and Australians see shit on YouTube and think it's real...

High Road people are going to the training halls for months and training there with them and reporting back. I'm done with this thread lol. I've posted all I can, if you don't agree with it then whatever

Why would they have the table tennis in there if it didn't benefit them?
Obviously it's a benefit to their athletes to be able to play table tennis. It's what they enjoy and have fun doing

I guess these Chinese fellas are lying to us all, hahaha. They are dominating the worlds stage looking jacked as fuck by accident.

I didn't see anyone looking jacked as fuck
I did see a taut and lean chinaman

For the record: it's an offence, punishable by law in Australia to be found in possession of anabolic/androgenic steroids, and it's an offence by law (and not just by the sport federation) if a weightlifter in Australia was to be found in possession or taking the above mentioned drugs.

Fact: training when on steroids is a totally different ball game than training clean due to fear of being caught and suspended (not to mention imprisonment).

Fact: The eastern block (Chinese included) have always put the state above the athlete, and would do what it takes to succeed and show the rest of the world who is best.

Fact: many athletes get (burnt out) due to the way this countries train their athletes. The ones that survive the gruelling demands of training (coupled with steroids) usually make it to the top and usually hold the world records.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Why don't they get that bloke some dumbbells to do his lat raises with? What are the benefits of using two plates over two dumbbells? Surely they can afford dumbbells??

I was interviewed by ABC TV back in 1982/83 and one of the question was relating to steroids. What do you think my answer was to this journalist back then (at the AIS)! The point is, there's info for public consumption , and then there's what "we" know amongst ourselves.

Fadi.

You know when 0ni's been caught out when he says "whatever"
Just like when he denied using drugs, "if you don't believe me then whatever"

:D

Lets think of this logically
Why would a guy that competes in a weight class based sport carry extra muscle mass if it did not benefit them in lifting the weight
Logically speaking, he wouldn't ,..he wouldn't carry it unless it benefited him. Now that we've covered this bit, let us now continue this logically based discussion.

Why would any sane athlete want to add a single gram (not a kilogram) to his frame if that additional weight was not achieved through a functional movement? Which takes me all the way back to that wonderful bodybuilding exercise, namely the dumbbell side laterals!

Why, why would be the logical question to ask of that weightlifter, should we be able to find one.

Ps:Lu Xiaojun seen in the video Oni put up was performing side laterals with two weight disks was no more than a warm up. Weightlifters do "anything" to insure a thorough warm up, particularly of their shoulder and knee joints. Yes, anything could entail rope skipping, hand push ups against a wall, whatever really...But, that does not suddenly mean it's part of some higher weightlifting program.

Fadi.

Oni is acting if there is no way the Chinese would lie about how they train.
Seriously?? It is competitive weightlifting, why wouldn't they make stuff up. Why allow your competitors to know your secrets that you have spent years or decades developing.

Weren't the Russians known for making stuff up about how they train when they dominated O Lifting and everyone wanted to know what they did. I seem to remember that pic of clean and jerks in water. Lol.

Ps:Lu Xiaojun seen in the video Oni put up was performing side laterals with two weight disks was no more than a warm up. Weightlifters do "anything" to insure a thorough warm up, particularly of their shoulder and knee joints. Yes, anything could entail rope skipping, hand push ups against a wall, whatever really...But, that does not suddenly mean it's part of some higher weightlifting program.

Fadi.

This is a pretty good point here 0ni. If this was a regular movement, why wouldn't they have dumbbells? What would be the benefit of using plates over dumbbells? He was using 10kgs per hand, pretty light wouldn't you think?

But hey, as you have said to me before, you have followed the Chinese method to the letter..what's you best Snatch or Clean and Jerk again?

Regarding the op.

From what I have read of Arthur Jones his purpose, or "Holy Grail " was to discover what was the least amount of exercise required in order tp provide maximum amount of strength increase.
He felt anything much more than necessary was detrimental and that's why he stopped proposing first 3 then 2 sets.

What is the big deal here. Oni shows chinese athletes doing some movements associated with bb.

Perfectly plausible that chinese coach emphasises assistance exercises.