• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

High Road

So I came across this squat program the other day, messed me up more than I was expecting. You take 65% of your 1RM Front Squat and do 7 Front Squats and 13 Back Squats with no rest between other than to rack bar on your back x 4 sets.

Give it a go and let me know what you think, maybe I'm just a pussy

If anyone is interested I can post the whole 10week program

Anyone else come across little gems like this?

Like a lot of higher volume work, it sounds easier than it is.
I'll give it a go tomorrow

I might give this one a go tomorrow sounds like a fun little challenge ;)

I did the Moby - Bring Sally Up/Down Squat challenge today. At 60kgs I couldn't finish it, got a little bit past half way, 13 reps from the finish

what sort of ratio do you find between front and back squats.

Mine is not much different when I don't use belt. At moment, in my weak state, I did 5 reps on 80kg front squat and 6 reps on 90ks a week earlier.

When doing olympic lifts in early 1980s, my best maxes were 120kg and 132.5kg at time I could clean and jerk 117.5kg.

Even now with pretty poor flexibility, and using back a bit with back squats, little more than 10% difference.

For me there is about 20kgs difference between front/back squat without a belt and 30kgs with.

I've always had a really weak squat, currently my best lifts are 140kg back and 110kg front. The clip of my 100kg clean and jerk was equal to my best front squat at the time.

My squat is something I'm always trying to improve

I did the front squat/back squat program again today with 70kgs, only 3 sets though

Bumping an old thread instead of creating a new one about front squats.

Do others front squat with blocks under your heels? I couldn't see the advantage in it until I tried them. The block allowed me to be more upright and go deeper, giving the quads a better workout.

Nope, Flat for me. Don't get any benefit from blocks.
used to use blocks for back squats but not anymore.

Bumping an old thread instead of creating a new one about front squats.

Do others front squat with blocks under your heels? I couldn't see the advantage in it until I tried them. The block allowed me to be more upright and go deeper, giving the quads a better workout.

yes good pick up you are right, lifting shoes offer the same advantage.

a plank under the heel can make you a tad unstable, and after time you tend to adjust and you can leave the blocks out

Yes, the very nature of Front Squats makes it easier to roll forward onto the Toes. Never had a problem with depth though. Haven't used wood under heel since teenager I think.

Definitely notice a difference between flat shoes and my oly shoes. A lot easier to get full depth with the heel for me. Haven't squatted on planks for years and not about to start though