• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
The real question is not so much with protein powders but those damn pre workouts that clump up and turn sticky and hard before their useby date, requiring you to jackhammer the stuff out of the jar. Those silica packets they put in there to soak up moisture do sweet fuck all!

They say the clumping does not affect the product.

I think they just suck the out of the the air.

The real question is not so much with protein powders but those damn pre workouts that clump up and turn sticky and hard before their useby date, requiring you to jackhammer the stuff out of the jar. Those silica packets they put in there to soak up moisture do sweet fuck all!
they only soak up a bit of moisture, as there is not much silica gel in there, and there is a limit to what level it can lower the water partial pressure

you can "recharge" the silica gel by sticking in oven for a couple of hours (above 105deg... below 150.. but probably limited by the packet it is in).

the dehydrated stuff in the pre-workout might just like water more than dehydrated silica gel...

don't have many options for foodsafe stuff for lower moisture content (phosphorus pentoxide is "stronger", and forms phosphoric acid when wet.. but even though it's a food additive, I would recommend it :D ) so just heat the silica gel every now and again..
edit: half decent instructions here.. also if you have a set of accurate micro-scales, can weigh pack and stop heating when weight stops dropping

can make your own silica gel packs with indicating gel.. but the blue stuff is not safe for food due to cobalt (iirc)

or.. put a stick in it and make pre-workout chupachups :D

Last edited:
Food products must have a best before or expiry date on them, I recon protein powder if stored reasonably well will last 50 years or may be 100 years.

For real Mickey???? I hope so but skeptical Cat is skeptical.