• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Stevecro

Something I have noticed in the supplement industry that I would like explained. I have noticed whenever I buy protein or any supplement from most companies (including the bulk selling ones) The shelf life seems to be quite long and doesnt match the raw stock they are holding and processing.

E.g. I recently bought some WPC which has a use by date of Jan 2016. I highly doubt the company who sells this ready mixed protein gets their raw stock so fresh. I have noticed most protein companies have raw stock between 6 - 12 months old (from date of manufacture). I have noticed this through contacting them and wanting to buy 20kg sack of Whey Protein ( I always ask the date of manufacture on the Fonterra bags of their freshest stock)

Example: So we have a protein company who say buys raw stock from Fonterra with a date of manufacture say June 2013. This protein batch has a shelf life or use by date of 24 months from date of manufacture. This protein company then adds flavouring, sweeteners etc to it and re packages it into small bags to sell to end consumers, however they do the mixing in January of 2014. That protein is already 7 months old.

From what I can see most protein companies then slap on a further 24 month expiry date from when they process it themselves. That is what we as consumers get. So in reality that protein we get should expire June 2015 (as that is 24 months from expiry date of manufacture of raw product) and not 24 months from date it was processed and mixed by the protein company.

Im not sure whether I explained that well at all. Maybe BN can chime in hear and clear this up?

Last edited:
Where did you get the information that the stuff only lasts two years from manufacture??

Food products must have a best before or expiry date on them, I recon protein powder if stored reasonably well will last 50 years or may be 100 years.

Woolworths meat section, put an expiry date on the meat, if it runs out they simply repack the meat with a new date, they will keep doing this till the death, where finally they mark it down and sell it cheap.

Well I have contacted Fonterra previously and asked them out of interest what the shelf life of WPC they advised me is was 18 - 24 months from date of manufacture. I did once buy a 20kg bag of WPC and had trouble using it all.

Im sure this is done with many other Supps like creatine, aminos and everything else.

Last edited:

Woolworths meat section, put an expiry date on the meat, if it runs out they simply repack the meat with a new date, they will keep doing this till the death, where finally they mark it down and sell it cheap.

Surely this isn't true

no that isnt true. Meat cannot be re packaged with a new expiry date. That would be illegal. It might happen but wouldnt be legal.

no that isnt true. Meat cannot be re packaged with a new expiry date. That would be illegal. It might happen but wouldnt be legal.

So how do you know that?? Have you worked there?? Who told you that it's not true?

Well every super market does it, always thought it was common knowledge.

Why wouldn't it be legal?? Would only be a problem once it has gone off. Who puts expiry dates on meat in a butcher shop?? Some of it can be months old.

Last edited:
By law a used by date should be based on the ingredient in the blend which has the shortest use by date. As an example, if protein had 18 months left till expiry, the sweetener had 24 months but the flavouring had 11 months, then the products should be dated at 11 months till expiry.
Regarding people extending the life of protein powders this isn't legal at all, and would simply be done to make stock more attractive to consumers.

The products expiry dates should always be those specified by the manufacturer of the raw goods, so a company manufacturing a product which has 13 months till expiry and marketing their product as having 24 months is breaking the law.
There is virtually no legitimate way to "extend" the use by date unless the product is retested for bacteria and the raw manufacturer provides a used by date extension (which is rare).

Regarding protein supply, this seems to vary massively depending on season. We (Bulk Nutrients) are now demanding product which has at least 15 months left till expiry, which should mean once a customer received that good they have at least 12 months left. We do at times get very fresh stock though with up to 20 months left. I would be very dubious of receiving anything which states 24 months though.

We do know of raw suppliers who supply Casein and other dairy powders with as little as 5 months till expiry which makes things very difficult, and unfortunately this stock is attractive to some blenders as it is cheaper.

I would be really surprised though if most companies were engaging in the practices you are talking about, well I like to think they wouldn't anyway.

One concession is that protein is in fact very stable. While a 24 month lifespan is that specified by the manufacturer if stored well (away from light and moisture) protein could last almost indefinitely. It should also be noted that as protein gets old there is only a very minimal effect on its quality. Out of interest sake, we have had 2+ year old protein tested and it still matched its specs perfectly.
Of course this does not reduce a companies responsibility to "get it right", however at least consumers can feel a bit safer about it.

I can confirm on the sealed and stored statement, at least for Bulk Nutrients WPC.

I got 2 x 5kg bags for free lately as they expired in November 2013. One bag was opened and used, the other sealed as new. The opened bag most definitely smelt off and I didn't bother even trying it, the sealed bag smelt fresh and is good to go, no toilet squirting adventures as yet :D

Where did you get the information that the stuff only lasts two years from manufacture??

Food products must have a best before or expiry date on them, I recon protein powder if stored reasonably well will last 50 years or may be 100 years.

If anyone was caught changing dates on meat it would be instant dismissal. My mrs used to be a store manager at woollies. [MENTION=9034]kaz[/MENTION]; I think she is a grocery store manager at one of the big grocers? Am I right kaz?

If anyone was caught changing dates on meat it would be instant dismissal. My mrs used to be a store manager at woollies. [MENTION=9034]kaz[/MENTION]; I think she is a grocery store manager at one of the big grocers? Am I right kaz?

Yes. Its a breach of legislation.

Items with "Use by dates" contain high risk ingredients like egg, dairy, meats, fish etc. "Best before" wont contain high risk ingredients but will degrade over time but are generally still fit for consumption up to 3 months past its date.
Canned items never used to have an expiry, most of these items wil have a "packed on" date. Packed on dates have an expiry of more than 2 years.

Intersting a mate of mine was working at a Woolworths store in the butcher section about 8 years go, and he said in the store where he worked it was common practice, once the use by date ran out they used to open the packets, and repack the meat with a new date on it.

It was actually his job to do this, and I have no doubt he was telling the truth as he has no reason to lie about it.

May be things have changed sine then.

I could name the store but won't at his stage.

Last edited:
Intersting a mate of mine was working at a Woolworths store in the butcher section about 8 years go, and he said in the store where he worked it was common practice, once the use by date ran out they used to open the packets, and repack the meat with a new date on it.

It was actually his job to do this, and I have to doubt he was telling the truth as he has no reason to lie about it.

May be things have changed sine then.

I could name the store but won't at his stage.

She was in big high volume suburban stores, dunno whether regional might be different? But yeah they used to take that shit super seriously

hmm, I got some WPI and WPC from PW recently..
the WPI has use before April 2015
the WPC has use before Nov 2015... seems too long? so the WPI is also packed with long date? hmmm

Last edited:
She was in big high volume suburban stores, dunno whether regional might be different? But yeah they used to take that shit super seriously

He was working in a large Sydney store one of the first to go 24hours, and he said it was just normal practice.

hmm, I got some WPI and WPC from PW recently..
the WPI has use before April 2015
the WPC has use before Nov 2015... seems too long? so the WPI is also packed with long date? hmmm

Mate it will still be good in 2025, you are worried about nothing, just drink the stuff and be done with it.

yes Cap'n :D
I was more wondering about the ethics of the company...

although not use by etc.. Maccas stores used to always roll timers on the burgers...

Think we have clearly established by now that most protein companies have no ethics with the stuff that has been going on lately. :eek: