• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Garage Training for my wife and me...

The fat burning zone has been proven to be a waste of time. Just do a HIIT for 20min then hit the shower. You'll burn more calories in the long run and it's better for you.

Thanks GUZZLA!

Should I keep mine down to three sessions a week (of 20 minutes HIIT) and my wife to six sessios a week (of 20 minutes HIIT) as she wants to slim way down?

This means I would do the weight training on every other day, and my wife would do weight training on the same days as the 20 minute HIIT.

Should I do them in the morning or after the workout which will mostly be late at night?

Could I possibly incorporate additional pull-ups if one of my goals is to increase my pull-ups from a measly 4-7 to 15-20??

I've seen additional programs such as the Armstrong program but I'm not sure if ill be doing too much, or if this is something I should attempt sometime after I perform the PTC beginners programs for 6-9 months?

Could I possibly incorporate additional pull-ups if one of my goals is to increase my pull-ups from a measly 4-7 to 15-20??

I've seen additional programs such as the Armstrong program but I'm not sure if ill be doing too much, or if this is something I should attempt sometime after I perform the PTC beginners programs for 6-9 months?

Your first question is self explanatory ;)

Also don't over complicate it for yourself. If you're feeling good doing the beginners program after a while then throw in some extra pull ups and squats in each session.

Then when you think you have done enough squats.... do some more.

I've never seen the Armstrong program so I can't comment on that. I consider myself a beginner and I've found that I've got the most enjoyment and progress out of the 5/3/1 program but that's just me, It's also super simple to follow.

I am shortly going to go back to a basic routine similar to the Reg Park Beginner Routine, but I will be designing my own with three different full body workouts each one done once a week.

What's this Mick? had enough of the 5/3/1?

What's this Mick? had enough of the 5/3/1?

Had 5 months and only missed one workout on the 5/3/1, I will go back to it. Needed a change want to do different exercises and some body building stuff rather than strength. Should be back on 5/3/1 in a few months, may be 3-6 months.....see how I feel. :)

Love the 5/3/1 progression, at this stage I am pretty happy with my strength for a non competitor and non strength athlete, not doing too bad for an old bloke lifting some weights at home in his back yard after work;)

We are hoping that we won't be victims to the New Years Resolution saga as we have bought our equipment so we can workout in the garage!

May I ask what would the best way for me to monitor our results for myself, and my wife?

Fortnightly photos, or just keep to weight/rep statistics?

I'm hoping that my wife will see a gradual transformation as she seems to be put off something if she can't see results.

I vaguely remember her weighing herself every week whilst she was at the gym, and felt really disheartened when the scales wouldn't budge.

Would the progression from the PTC beginners, move towards 5/3/1, SS after a year or at least when the strength gains are achieved as per Markos post?

to keep track of results keep a workout diary and take photos and measurements of yourselves (weight/size)

Bumperplates A dairy with tracking Measurements is Great idea Also hide the scales limit to weighing once a fortnight max especially hard at first for women but i always use measurements first since I've been weight training