• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cheat meals.....

What is clean eating. Ask 100 people what clean food is and you will get 100 different definitions.

It's like a religion. All those different variations of clean can't be right. Which is the supposed one right way to eat clean.

You don't need to eat clean to lose fat.

"White flour causes cancer." Not really true. It's indicated it may increase the risk just like eating meat. So if you avoid white flour for his reasoning make sure you avoid meat as well.

I think you would get a pretty similar answer from most people who have a good idea of bbing, fitness etc...

IIFYM is a good way of approaching a "diet" when you are bulking, in the offseason, maintaining etc - gives you good balance - IIFYM is pretty much an off-season diet with a label attached to it - its nothing special....its common sense.

The difference comes when you are trying to get in the best possible condition like Ben said - this is where it could/will make the difference - even if its only 5% - 5% could be the difference between winning and losing, the difference between reaching your bodyfat goals, between the difference of getting that sports contract etc etc...

I am dieting at the moment as most of you know - of course I could have a protein shake, bit of toast and a bowl of ice-cream and drop weight - but will it get me in the best condition possible - no it wont. I am not saying the above is anything like IIFYM I am simply saying there is more to simply calories in V calories out.

You don't get similar answers. Have a look at just this forum. Everyone has different variations of clean food. They can't all be right can they.

BBs are not the best place to go to for healthy eating advise.

The basis of any diet including BB type clean diets is IIFYM. It's just the food choices are more limited. Clean type cutting diets still have macro targets.

You think clean eating isn't just a label.

Last edited:
Of course clean eating is a label....

I honestly havnt really seen many differing answer on the selection of clean foods - just the approach....

Of course clean eating is a label....

I honestly havnt really seen many differing answer on the selection of clean foods - just the approach....

Clean food variations.

Carbs are evil / carbs ok

Non processed

Organic

Say non processed foods then also recommend whey which is highly processed.

Avoid sugar?

Grains ok / grains not ok

Starchy carbs?

Even your mate in the video can't make his mind up says white flower causes cancer, so not clean. What about meat? Also increases risk of cancer. At least be consistent.

Avoid gluten or not.

Paleo only foods.

Avoid dairy?

Some avoid certain nuts, peanuts.

Some say only lean meats others fatty meats ok

Some say avoid saturated fats others saturated fats ok.

Some people change their version of clean every second day.

Avoid wheat?

You can go on all day.

Clean food variations.

Carbs are evil / carbs ok

Non processed

Organic

Say non processed foods then also recommend whey which is highly processed.

Avoid sugar?

Grains ok / grains not ok

Starchy carbs?

Even your mate in the video can't make his mind up says white flower causes cancer, so not clean. What about meat? Also increases risk of cancer. At least be consistent.

Avoid gluten or not.

Paleo only foods.

Avoid dairy?

Some avoid certain nuts, peanuts.

Some say only lean meats others fatty meats ok

Some say avoid saturated fats others saturated fats ok.

Some people change their version of clean every second day.

Avoid wheat?

You can go on all day.

You.can say that about pretty much anything in life.. Opinions are like assholes

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

You.can say that about pretty much anything in life.. Opinions are like assholes

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Yep thats my point. Some things have a clear definition. Clean eating doesn't. So how can you say you need to eat clean to get best results when no one can agree on what clean food is.

I eat only clean food. If its dirty I wash it.

I really like where Bazza is going with this.

We all react differently to the foods we eat.
some seem to be able to eat certain foods with minimal issues, but i think even those people end up in the same boat at some point in time, could 5 or 10 or 20 years.

Last edited:
For me, I consider my daily diet as 'clean', if I'm eating fresh foods typically found in the basic food pyramid, proportional to me needs at the time.

The key word for me is sustainability. I needs it to be something I'm happy to day day after day, week after week. Like a lifestyle choice. I refuse to be so strict about my dieting requirements that it affects my social life. I have done that in the past and it really wasn't worth it.

I easily drink 3-6L of water per day, depending on my activity level.
My combined soft drink and alcohol intake over a year would be immeasurable.
I have a large cappuccino with 2 sugars once per day 3-6 x week.
I'd be lucky if I ate maccas or other such fast food outlets 4 x per year.
On average, I'd drink 1L of light milk per day.
Other than milk, I consciously keep dairy to a minimum as it is typically calorie dense.
I'm not allergic to gluten or wheat etc so can eat bread without issue though I prefer multi grain bread or wraps. No more than 2 of either per day.
Breakfast is almost always 6-7 multi grain or normal wheatbix with light milk - nothing sustains me better or gives me more energy in the first half of the day.
As the day tapers off I usually limit my carb intake. Befreering to eat larger amounts earlier in the day.
The only time I really ever eat desserts is out at dinner or away camping. I consider it a bit of a treat / indulgence for myself.

Balance is the most important thing. I do not ban a particular food group but consider each on it's merits. If I loose my way for a week or three I don't beat myself up because I know it's not the end of the world and in the greater scheme of things, I'm doing a much larger proportion of good things for my body, than bad.

The hardest part is walking past the bakery on the way to the gym. The smell of freshly baked croissants tests my will power like nothing else. So far, so good, but I'm not sure how long I can last, Captain. :)

Last edited:
the act of labelling food clean/dirty in itself is a problem.... food is food its all good :)

See for me I feel that seeing all food as the same is a major issue - 200cals of chicken breast isn't the same as 200 calories as maccas chips - I understand IIFYM and I understand where bazza is coming from totally - but I do think most people in the know have a good understand of clean food V "junk" food.

Of course there are many different types of dieting and diets - IIFYM is one of them - but everyone who has a good understanding of bbing/fitness etc knows the difference between clean eating and not.

If you ask someone is Chicken breast and Green beans a clean food or "dirty" food - what would the answer be out of 100 people who are in the fitness industry.

If you ask is a big mac meal a clean food or not - what would the answer be out of 100 people who are in the fitness industry?

Its not the type of diets in question of course there are going to be variations of any diet, supplement, training program etc - but at the end of the day you have a core set of rules - with most bbing diets the core is eating clean with all bbing programs the core is lifting weights consistently - again its not a questions of diet its a question of food and food choices - people know what clean eating is - of course they many question the best way to approach the diet itself.

Last edited:
This thread has sparked some interesting thoughts. The main thing I have noticed is that everyone responds differently to to their daily diet.

What works for Peter may not for Paul.

My method works well for me and my body responds (I think) well to my diet. After my monster gorge at the weekend, I was nicely fuelled for legs today and had a great session.

On the Sunday (the day after the night before) I ate zero carbs all day. Protien and minimal fats only.

Then today I was back on my normal cutting diet.

Next cheat meal I prob won't have the chocolate after as I am more of a savoury person, but after the three burgers I was craving something sweet.

Back so salad, veggies, fish, chicken, eggs, oats and rice for the next week. I literally won't eat anything out of those choices whilst cutting (protein drinks excluded).

Clean eating is not doing dumb shit like deep frying meat and wedging it in a bun

Natural human diet or Mediterranean diets are the archetypal "clean" diets and both amount to not eating processed shit. A minimalist diet is the best approach. Go 100% paleo for 60 days then start adding things in to gauge response. You'll soon know what is best for your body

Some ppl can get away with wheat, some can't. I am fine with wheat but other gluten products are a no for me. Oats are OK but only in small amounts. Rice is just a plain no

of course all food is not equal
I just don't agree with people labelling food clean or dirty, as it can develop eating disorders and such.

Sure the chicken salad I had for lunch would 99% of the time be classed as clean and the slice of cheese cake I ate would 99% of time be classed as dirty. If dieting and bbing in general isn't hard enough why place another stress on eating 99% clean food.

Horse for courses in the end

Last edited:
Eating chicken breast and broccoli for every meal would be considered clean by most bodybuilders but not healthy at all either.

Putting meaningless labels on foods like clean, natural and Paleo doesn't make your results any better.

Saying 200 calories of chicken breast isn't the same as 200 calories of chips. No shit. They are different foods with totally different macros. Of course they are different.

Funny reading this, the one thing I notice, that the people that follow the bro-science 'clean' body building diet with 6 meals a day are the ones getting the best results.

Everyone else is just there but not up to the same standard.

I must say I have never tried the 6 meals a day chicken, brown rice, sweet potato and broccoli and oats type diet, but I know several people who do and they certainly have the best bodies/builds out of everyone I know, and two are competing body builders, both these guys swear by all the stuff we call bro-science on this forum and they have the results, including first place state and national Body Building trophies on their shelf.

So I think this IIFYM stuff seems to be OK for the average trainer, but I don't see too many advocates on stage walking away with first place trophies.

And this fukn tard approach to naming meals clean or dirty...

Eats chicken and brocolli every day for a hundred days...

Then has dirty ice cream sundae!!! All going straight to fat Kunce...

I think you would get a pretty similar answer from most people who have a good idea of bbing, fitness etc...

IIFYM is a good way of approaching a "diet" when you are bulking, in the offseason, maintaining etc - gives you good balance - IIFYM is pretty much an off-season diet with a label attached to it - its nothing special....its common sense.

The difference comes when you are trying to get in the best possible condition like Ben said - this is where it could/will make the difference - even if its only 5% - 5% could be the difference between winning and losing, the difference between reaching your bodyfat goals, between the difference of getting that sports contract etc etc...

I am dieting at the moment as most of you know - of course I could have a protein shake, bit of toast and a bowl of ice-cream and drop weight - but will it get me in the best condition possible - no it wont. I am not saying the above is anything like IIFYM I am simply saying there is more to simply calories in V calories out.

Nope...

Cals in vs Cals out is pretty much it...can't argue with physics...

Eating chicken breast and broccoli for meal would be considered clean by most bodybuilders but not healthy at all either.

Putting meaningless labels on foods like clean, natural and Paleo doesn't make your results any better.

Saying 200 calories of chicken breast isn't the same as 200 calories of chips. No shit. They are different foods with totally different macros. Of course they are different.

By default would lead to significant calorie deficit plus high protein... Equals perfect weight loss macros...