• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cheat meals.....

Speaking of common sense, it would seem to me that if you need a 'cheat meal' then something is amiss with your diet, and by diet I mean the kind of food you eat habitually not some short term fad.

Last edited:
Speaking of common sense, it would seem to me that if you need a 'cheat meal' then something is amiss with your diet, and by diet I mean the kind of food you eat habitually not some fad.

Beautifully worded darkoz, this is what I really wanted to say but I just didn't

How much can a body process in one sitting then?

I honestly have no idea. For protein it's 8-10g per hour. So you'd need to look at the time it takes to pass through the small intestine, which varies in length from person to person.

But the body will continue to burn fat throughout this cheat meal and the vast majority of any carbohydrate will be used to refill muscle glycogen. When you're depleted, you'll need at least 6g/lb in carbohydrates (1080g for an 80kg guy) to completely refill muscle glycogen and there is only a small amount of glycogen refilled in the second 24h of carbohydrate loading
(McDonald, Lyle. A Guide to Flexible Dieting - pages 123-124)

So the key is get it all done in the smallest time frame possible. When you're leaner, this can be a full day affair, or two 3h windows each week (duchaine, mcdonald)

Common sense would say that this figure would be different for every person on the planet. How much weight can you gain in one meal?? Could not imagine a lot if the rest of your diet is 90% OK.

When I tried Carb Nite I would roughly lose about 1-2kg per week, and after my big carb nite I would actually lose more weight by eating pizza and ice cream for dinner till I felt ill, so in a cheat meal situation the metabolism would rev up and you would not gain any weight/fat at all.

If someone makes a statement like "your body can't process X amount of food" then there must be cut off point as to how much food it can process, an average at least, so what is this amount?

Speaking of common sense, it would seem to me that if you need a 'cheat meal' then something is amiss with your diet, and by diet I mean the kind of food you eat habitually not some short term fad.

Refeeds are important to stabilise hormona levels when dieting hard
But if it's to satisfy some deep psychological urge then yeah

I think in the reference to this thread regarding cheat meals it is referring the a diet much more strict than is done normally, to achieve a short term goal. Assuming that is correct, its common for caloric intake to be significantly lower than normal. But doing so can be hard work physically and mentally. Allowing yourself a cheat meal every so often goes a long way to easing the mental fatigue hard dieting brings without affecting the overall plan.

For me, it's a mostly useless practice unless you make a living from being in a certain condition for a specific period of time or to compete. Not only is it a unhealthy practice long term, it can also lead to excessive weight gain afterwards. There are only a select few who have the discipline to diet hard all the time, but many hear would admit to it being unsustainable for more than 2-3 months.

For me, I find it far more sustainable to just practice eating clean healthy foods regularly and having the occasional treat in moderation. Its easy to make small changes to food intake and exercise to adjust body fat %. While the changes happen more slowly, the results are more sustainable long term.

Last edited:
Mine are:

mac and cheese, 3 mini - Snickers, 2 slices of pizza, Ben & Jerry's vanilla flavour ice cream, and a slice of tiramisu cake

yummy!

:)

Last edited:
I "cheat" daily, I went strict on my first weight cut, and afterwards my sweet tooth came back twice as strong, now days I just make it fit,

I subscribe to the iifym approach...

Foods are neither clean or dirty...

Hit your macros for body comp.... And micros for health and well being...

- Everyday training/maintaining/or bulking - of course have something you like everyday

- When you are truly dieting and trying to drop bodyfat - structure everything - even your cheat meals - plan them - focus on the diet at hand but enjoy your cheat when it comes to that planned time/meal

I think people get mixed up with dieting and simply eating to gain size/strength or maintain - when dieting then diet - don't fuck around.

I prefer to stick to a diet that doesn't need cheat meals.

With a well designed diet you shouldn't need to cheat.

Isn't that then an "eating plan"?
I think like one of the posts above, cheat meals are more for short term diets/quick weight loss. You shouldn't need to cheat or over indulge if you do it all in moderation.

As I said before, refeeds are important when dieting for continued progress
Eating to satisfy some emotional need isn't

I think (as I said above, and other posts have touched on) you need to separate everyday eating when you are simply training to maintain, even bulk and dieting....

I think most people that train would follow some sort of IIFYM approach in the "off-season" or when they are not dieting - this is just common sense - but the people that can flick that switch and focus themselves is what separates people from reaching their goals and not....its not rocket science its simply discipline..

I think Ben Pakulski explains it well....I really hope people watch this video because he does explain it really well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Gl2pK9h_Y