• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Foam Rollers etc

IT Band rolling has got to be one of the most painful things, no matter how much I roll them, does not seem to get easier compared to the rest of the body.

IT Band rolling has got to be one of the most painful things, no matter how much I roll them, does not seem to get easier compared to the rest of the body.

Get the beastie:

http://www.rumbleroller.com/massage-balls.html

For the IT band you need to get between the fascia and muscle of the quad and hamstring to pinpoint the jammed up muscle tissues. This thing along with the stand it comes with is perfect.

I've also used a limber up stick at the gym, sat on a bench and jammed the stick against the wall and the other end into the sore tissues, not as effective as the beastie though.

I noticed that rebel sport now stocks a fair bit of decent stuff. Foam rollers, the ones with spikes, balls with spikes, better versions of the tiger stick etc

You're not a serious lifter until you own a foam roller.

Beginners, must start with a soft one.

Advanced lifters, must use a harder one.

I'll detail a beginners program later, I've got the cost down to $50, send money first.

Advanced, advanced lifters, can use a roller with spikes or nails if your tough enough.

You're not a serious lifter until you own a foam roller.

Beginners, must start with a soft one.

Advanced lifters, must use a harder one.

I'll detail a beginners program later, I've got the cost down to $50, send money first.

Advanced, advanced lifters, can use a roller with spikes or nails if your tough enough.

Nice.

My calves hurt the most with foam rolling, and no mater how often I do it the pain and the knots is still there. Annoys the shit out of me!

Interesting

Do you think they work then?

Well I have noticed that the calves respond to stretching better after I rumble roll the shit out of them, so I guess the tears and screaming are worth it. Plus I have learnt that pain does not necessarily manifest itself at the source of the problem. In my case it's due to ridiculously flat feet causing excessive pronation and stressing the calves along the way. Custom insoles have since provided some much needed relief.

Don't do it then

I happen to be very stubborn. :eek:
Plus if I don't do it the calves get knotted up even more. Catch 22, yo!

My calves hurt the most with foam rolling, and no mater how often I do it the pain and the knots is still there. Annoys the shit out of me!

Instead of rolling just stay on the sweet spots until you feel them release.

Rolling is for getting the tissues moving and promoting better blood flow, recovery etc. If you have stuck tissues then you need to apply direct pressure to the area for a few minutes. You should physically feel the muscle fibres release once the knot is gone.

If you have a rumble roller then one of the nodules should be great for this, I've also used the handle of a screwdriver when nothing else was available :D

Bought the standard black roller after training at Sydney PTC and using their one and being shown how to use it by a sports physical therapist that also lifts.

I have since bought a rumble roller as well.

I use both sparingly but when required and find they do the job nicely. I know there is some heroes on here that don't believe they do anything, but the same people believe nothing does anything, and obviously refuse to try anything or educate themselves.

I find them quite relaxing to use, and quite enjoy the feeling when I am done. May be you can use a PVC pipe or what ever, but I think the money on the rollers was well spend just like the money on my bar and weights were well spend:)

I've got the black rumble at home and get instant extra mobility after even just a couple rolls on it. It's hurts straight up though and have ordered a flat blue one to get me warmed up before switching to the black. Highly recommend

I use and love my foam roller. Has kept me from needing adjustments from a professional for quite some time.
I found this and thought it was interesting.

A few thoughts on Foam Rolling: I believe the mechanisms of foam rolling are neural and temporary. Gained ROM seems to begin decreasing again in as little as 10 minutes (MacDonald et al., 2012).

I wouldn't recommend foam rolling just because it's something you think you should be doing/feel guilty if you don't do - the DNIC argument means it MAY have addictive properties. I'd recommend it before a workout to gain extra ROM if you lack it. This will create a "window of opportunity" to work through a ROM or work a muscle that is tonic or has a trigger point.

Speaking of trigger points, they're associated with muscle weaknesses. Just rolling/stretching probably won't do much. Use that window of opportunity to correct the weakness/imbalance and strengthen the "problem".

If you have a chronic ROM problem, start static stretching regularly. I view foam rollers as a bandaid for a larger problem.

It's not the end-all, be-all, but it is a helpful tool.

All of that being said, foam rolling most likely does not produce physical changes. The only things I've read relating to "adhesions" are in normal, healthy muscle that occur during, and only during muscle contraction. I've never seen anything relating fascial adhesions in the literature. It's been established that we cannot modify the fascia through manual therapy. So, I don't see why foam rolling more often and throughout the day would be more beneficial.

Further reading:
- http://www.bettermovement.org/2013/how-does-foam-rolling-work/
- http://bretcontreras.com/how-does-foam-rolling-work-and-why-smr-should-be-called-smt/

- Coach Andrew