• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Foam Rollers etc

when r u supposed to foam roll? Do you do it to loosen up before a workout or later on after a work out to relieve sore muscles?

when r u supposed to foam roll? Do you do it to loosen up before a workout or later on after a work out to relieve sore muscles?

Personally I treat it like a massage, once or twice a fortnight

Other feel they can't train without rolling out first

You're not a serious lifter until you own a foam roller.

Beginners, must start with a soft one.

Advanced lifters, must use a harder one.

I'll detail a beginners program later, I've got the cost down to $50, send money first.

Advanced, advanced lifters, can use a roller with spikes or nails if your tough enough.

Wow $50?
I have a pipe wrapped in tape

$50 ?

foam roller from ebay for $17 with free postage
pipe -free from a mate , or $2 -10 from pipe shop

massage or hockey ball -$6
rumble rollers and beastie balls much more expensive but get in better

been doing it before and after a workout and when sore or stiff

itb's are usually sorest for me, then massage ball on pecks or side of neck.

just read it

I've read articles that are both pro and con on whether you should roll it

Last edited:
You're not a serious lifter until you own a foam roller.

Beginners, must start with a soft one.

Advanced lifters, must use a harder one.

I'll detail a beginners program later, I've got the cost down to $50, send money first.

Advanced, advanced lifters, can use a roller with spikes or nails if your tough enough.

Is it OK to bench press on a bed of nails?

:eek:

Nice links, what are your thoughts?

Personally I agree with the second link and the link I posted. I don't think there is any benifit from rolling it

It makes sense to roll the ITB from lateral to medial or vice versa to unsticky the sticky business. wouldn't do much rolling from proximal to distal or whatever. but rather spend time on adductors, glutes/piriformis and quads

I think everyone likes to roll the ITB band because it hurts like shit and feels like you are doing something. Actual benefits don't really come into it in the fitness industry.

don't know I'm not an sports scientist or physio.

Rolling seems to help reduce doms especially on quads and hamstrings and help with mobility.

Rolling itb ? don't do to much.

I'm doing a ton of stretching and mobility work .

Physio didn't tell me not to roll itb, but did stress
no leg extensions to avoid further knee damage - had one reconstruction
one right knee

e2ahatum.jpg

Here's one I prepared earlier.
I love this thing!
Underground PVC conduit with a small layer of rubber foam from Clarke rubber.

Ha ha spot the Sparkie !
I thought of making the same out of 100mm underground conduit

Ha, you know what, with the price of that rubber, I could have just bought a rumble roller on the net for only a few bucks more lol