• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

CrossFit coach Kevin Ogar suffers freak accident during competition

Looks like the back caused problems prior to the bar even making contact with the back.

yeah to collapse on the way up like that is odd, looks like the bar landed on him on the way down more than bouncing of the bumpers and hitting his back, in all honestly I cant see the bar generating enough power off a bounce to cause that sort of injury, I wonder if a pre existing injury was provoked

yeah to collapse on the way up like that is odd, looks like the bar landed on him on the way down more than bouncing of the bumpers and hitting his back, in all honestly I cant see the bar generating enough power off a bounce to cause that sort of injury, I wonder if a pre existing injury was provoked

This is the thing with back injury, you don't know you're doing damage until it's too late, it doesn't happen overnight.

Looks like the back caused problems prior to the bar even making contact with the back.

That is a great slow mo of the accident. It looks like he is standing up out of the snatch and something let's go. Something isn't adding up. I wonder if that is a clip of the actual accident?

That is a great slow mo of the accident. It looks like he is standing up out of the snatch and something let's go. Something isn't adding up. I wonder if that is a clip of the actual accident?

yeah it is, was confirmed on another forum by someone who was there

It's either the "actual" or that's how he normally sets-up :D

This particular lift he did was in a sense: the straw that broke the camel..."

He either had some prior condition, or he just had poor lifting technique over the years.

Unfortunately when you affiliate with Crossfit they prevent you from gathering injury data, so there is no real data on injuries in Crossfit. I suspect it's high
care to show where it says that ?

if crossfit the hq was so tight lip on injuries , why would the official site forum have an injury section?

From the physio detective. Raises some good points.

Key Points:
It looks like 100kg. This is likely to be well below his max weight.
It looks like his first lift. it doesn’t look like he has done a a repetition before this lift.
It looks like he got it up and stood up at least halfway – out of the hole and but at the sticking point (maybe) – it is when the thoracolumbar junction is at its most loaded.
He appears to just drop the bar and goes down.
I have seen many people fail a snatch before but I haven’t seen someone just go down under a bar like that.
He is an experienced lifter and knows how to “fail” a lift
Opinion:
My suspicion is that he had a stress fracture in his back (maybe even bilateral pars defects?) and it gave way as he was standing the lift up.
Reasoning:
If he was to fail that lift as I have seen many people do before, he would have squatted back down and dropped it behind him or just throw the bar in front.
So i don’t think the bar broke his back, I think he had a pre-existing, possibly undiganosed issue in his back which catastrophically and unpredictably failed as he stood the bar up.
Experienced lifters just don’t fail a lift like that.
Other Points:
Stress fractures occur in a lot of sports where loading occurs – basketball, cricket, running – you name the sport and I have probably seen it – even swimming!
This wasn’t a random weekend comp. This was a comp where you had to qualify – all the competitors knew what they were doing and have been doing CrossFit for some time.
Injuries occur in every sport. This was a freak accident. Freak accidents occur in every sport.
We can talk about coaching quality in general, we can talk about the pros and cons of CrossFit but the bottom line is that I don’t those arguments are in play for this incident.

care to show where it says that ?

if crossfit the hq was so tight lip on injuries , why would the official site forum have an injury section?

Let's reverse the question, where is the injury data? Crossfit has been around long enough now to have some sort of injury data. If they asked every affiliate to shoot through a quick message every time a client was injured and what they were doing at the time of the injury they would have some great data after just 12 months, right? So where is the data?

It's their forum, they can edit it as they see fit. Get on there and post something negative about Crossfit or Glassman and see how long your post lasts.

Let's reverse the question, where is the injury data? Crossfit has been around long enough now to have some sort of injury data. If they asked every affiliate to shoot through a quick message every time a client was injured and what they were doing at the time of the injury they would have some great data after just 12 months, right? So where is the data?

It's their forum, they can edit it as they see fit. Get on there and post something negative about Crossfit or Glassman and see how long your post lasts.

where is the data , probably the same as every other gym , tucked away in the filing system for the statsman/insurance to look at

i mean if you go ask say anytime fitness, or ptc for data on injuries and they'll probably tell you something about confidentiality or something along those lines

Yeah, probably...

Are we looking at Crossfit as a sport, or a gym? I thought we agreed it was a sport now. You listed two gyms, what sports might hold back such data?

The NFL has had some momentum building against it and resultant injuries in recent years, and is now looking down the barrel of lawsuits costing them many hundreds of millions.

I'd imagine plenty of sports would want to keep that information close hold and controlled for this exact reason.

Not to mention the negative publicity and fall in revenue if its shown to be in any way dangerous to more than a tiny minority.

Last edited:
Poor bastard. It's like injuring yourself badly dancing at a wedding too, he'll never be able to tell the truth as to how it happened.

My first impression with CrossFit when it started was really good, to me, it was geared towards a home workout hobbyist using a minimal amount of stuff.

My first impression with CrossFit when it started was really good, to me, it was geared towards a home workout hobbyist using a minimal amount of stuff.

what are you talking about you only need a speed rope, running shoes, lifting shoes, wrist straps, knee sleeves, belt,chalk,24kg kettle bell, olympic bar, 100kg of bumper plates,squat stand,10foot ceiling with rings, floor matting, chinup bar, concept 2 rower,ab matt,evil wheel, roman chair,climbing rope a foam roller and a motivated attitude ;), just basics

what are you talking about you only need a speed rope, running shoes, lifting shoes, wrist straps, knee sleeves, belt,chalk,24kg kettle bell, olympic bar, 100kg of bumper plates,squat stand,10foot ceiling with rings, floor matting, chinup bar, concept 2 rower,ab matt,evil wheel, roman chair,climbing rope a foam roller and a motivated attitude ;), just basics

When it started :D