• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

CrossFit coach Kevin Ogar suffers freak accident during competition

I blame event organizers, that's how they set it up. It's a freak accident, but there is a lesson to be learnt none the less

It's not really a freak accident if the event organizers set it up that way. Its poor fucking planning and negligence on someones part.

Never seen Olympic lifting on the TV with a stack of plates behind the lifter. There is a reason for that.

well, I repeat my summary, Olympic lifts are dangerous, have seen a few serious accidents, and I broke my wrist doing them.

Doing Olympic lifts pre-fatigued is even more dangerous. This is not an argument, it is logic.

But I say let the bozos do it in their claim for being part of a great sport.

Injury stats show Olympic lifting is safer than most sports that get played daily. Your opinion isn't an argument, you think it is unsafe because you have been injured, stats show otherwise.

It's not really a freak accident if the event organizers set it up that way. Its poor fucking planning and negligence on someones part.

Never seen Olympic lifting on the TV with a stack of plates behind the lifter. There is a reason for that.

I can't argue with that and agree 100%

Injury stats show Olympic lifting is safer than most sports that get played daily. Your opinion isn't an argument, you think it is unsafe because you have been injured, stats show otherwise.

I agree. The numbers show weightlifting and powerlifting have much much less injuries than sports like footy and rugby.

Crossfit probably has more than weightlifting but nothing like footy ect.

I agree. The numbers show weightlifting and powerlifting have much much less injuries than sports like footy and rugby.

Crossfit probably has more than weightlifting but nothing like footy ect.

Unfortunately when you affiliate with Crossfit they prevent you from gathering injury data, so there is no real data on injuries in Crossfit. I suspect it's high

Please not 'crossfit is safe, just look at football/mma'
Like saying 'marijuana is safe, just look at alcohol/cigarettes'

Sigh when will cross fitters learn ....

Well have a look at he clip and give your opinion
You certainly get you knickers in a twist.

Looks to me like it hit the bumpers

I get my knickers in a twist when people say stupid sh1t. If you want to engage in a conversation at least know your topic when you are trying to sprout facts. (This isn't directed at you, just saying) I could get on here and say a heap of stupid sh1t about body building and powerlifting. I'd bet there would be quite a few with their knickers in a twist

really, anyone's opinion is an argument.

Again, Olympic lifting is both a strength and technical sport, and pre-fatigue increases the risk of injury given that throwing weights above your head when you are tired is more dangerous. This is logical, ask a sports doctor.

But, again, if the sport needs to do this to express its all-round claim, then so be it.

I like watching it, and a few crazy lifts maybe even better to watch.

Don't think it is a sport though, more of a business. A sport is open to anyone, and is not subject to being in a club and paying $50 a week. Comps should be open to anyone on day.

Last edited:
Please not 'crossfit is safe, just look at football/mma'
Like saying 'marijuana is safe, just look at alcohol/cigarettes'

Sigh when will cross fitters learn ....

I'm not saying it is safe, I'm saying people are exaggerating how dangerous it really is, and when compared to other sports which are regularly played IMO it is quiet safe, in my last year of mma I had stitches 3 times, broke my foot, blew out my shoulder twice and had constant ankle and knee injuries, since doing Crossfit I have had one minor wrist sprain, if powerlifting went as mainstream as Crossfit how so you think the injury rate would fare to Crossfit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, Olympic lifting is both a strength and technical sport, and pre-fatigue increases the risk of injury given that throwing weights above your head when you are tired is more dangerous. This is logical, ask a sports doctor.

But, again, if the sport needs to do this to express its all-round claim, then so be it.

Don't think it is a sport though, more of a business. A sport is open to anyone, and is not subject to being in a club and paying $50 a week. Comps should be open to anyone on day.

I think it is a sport now. There are crossfit competitions to compete in.

As for paying to be in a club. To play footy you have to be in the club and pay your registration fees. I can't think of any sport that you don't have to pay something.

Saying all that doesn't mean I'm a fan of it though but it is better than tennis.

from what I have heard here in albury Wodonga, I would have to pay $50 a week in local club.

I wish you could do your own training, and then turn up and compete in local comps.

If I assume right, you can't.

However, I can in aths, and that costs me only $100 per year.

Easy choice for me.

Looks more like the impact from the bar, rather than anywhere he fell or what was around him (from my view anyway). His injury was at t11 (thoracic 11) So you lose function pretty much from the level of injury and down.

u3e6udam.jpg

5e7u2uja.jpg

Last edited:

It is open to anyone, that's the idea of the Open. Pay you $10 entry free, film your workouts to have them verified by a judge and you get a ranking in your region/world. You don't have to be a member of anything.

Prefatiguing increases the risk of injury in any sport. It is what it is, I don't it contributed to the accident

So apart from being a para, he'll struggle with bowel movements, sexual function & probably have a colostomy bag. Poor fucker. But there's plenty of great rehab centres in America (and now in Australia). They'll get him as functional as possible.

ok, $10. if that is the case, then I have been poorly advised.

I was told you had to be part of gym, so I am pleased to hear compulsory membership is not the case.

Looks more like the impact from the bar, rather than anywhere he fell or what was around him (from my view anyway). His injury was at t11 (thoracic 11) So you lose function pretty much from the level of injury and down.

u3e6udam.jpg

5e7u2uja.jpg

Yeah, I agree with you, that bar made impact on his back before anything else.

Plates on the floor really had nothing to do with what went down in that video.