• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

CrossFit coach Kevin Ogar suffers freak accident during competition

There was a stack of bumpers behind him, the bar hit the bumpers bouncing the barbell into his back while he was seated. Is the snatch to blame here? Nope. Is Crossfit to blame?

There is deffinately a lack of regulation and safety. The guerilla competitions with people throwing barbells around fatigued and in close proximity to one another, bad injuries were bound to happen sooner or later.

IWF regulations have competitors lifting on a platform atleast 4 x 4m, with a further 1m buffer zone containing no objects/weight discs etc. Still doesnt stop Mathias Steiner dropping a 450+ barbell on his neck.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qY0pqlvjGFQ

Or broken arms and dislocated elbows...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DJXESL5VK48

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=op9y5QxzXO8

cue High Roads taking this as a personal attack on himself and goimg waaaaay off tangent

I agree with what you are saying, but this comes down to the event organizer, not crossfit, crossfit hosts the Open, Regionals and the Games. Affiliate comps are not recognized by crossfit Inc.

I don't know what you are trying illustrate by posting clips of Olympic weightlifters injuring themselves. I never said Crossfit or Olympic weightlifting is safe as houses.

Nice of you to retract you comment about taking this as a personal attack. I'd hate to see you go off on some sort of tangent.

Last edited:
It's retarded. Pre-exhausting one's self for a few hours before trying a heavy double on one of the most technical lifts. Why don't they just amputate a limb or two at the start to see how far you can run before bleeding out?

He failed the lift in the same way 1000000's of others have failed before on a single lift. As I have said, if the bumpers were not behind him, would we be having this conversation? Would 95% of you even known that this event took place?

before the "crossfit is bad " brigade jumps on ,keep in mind that a footballer down geelong was left a quadriplegic after being hurt during a football match just last year

You're quite right.

As I've mentioned most times in Cross-fit discussions, is- ultimatetly cross-fit is a sport the rules are not about health.

Crossfit athletes train Olympic lifting under fatigue weekly, I know what I can snatch fresh and under fatigue and I adjust accordingly, last comp I did we had to do a 1rm snatch straight after a 2km row, it's just part of the sport, what happened here was a freak accident, hundreds of thousands people do these sort of workouts weekly, there is bound to be a few casualties,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're quite right.

As I've mentioned most times in Cross-fit discussions, is- ultimatetly cross-fit is a sport the rules are not about health.

It's up to the athlete to keep his form safe, Crossfit is far safer than football/ mma ect yet these sports don't cop constant criticism about being dangerous,

It's up to the athlete to keep his form safe, Crossfit is far safer than football/ mma ect yet these sports don't cop constant criticism about being dangerous,

That's a given.
I don't believe Cross-fit and the events are any more or less dangerous than other so-called combat sports.

I think this is the issue, in one corner they (mostly crossfitters) say it is safe, in the other corner most say it isn't, just like all sports.

Nobody here has stated football is safe or not dngerous FFS.

That's a given.
I don't believe Cross-fit and the events are any more or less dangerous than other so-called combat sports.

I think this is the issue, in one corner they (mostly crossfitters) say it is safe, in the other corner most say it isn't, just like all sports.

Nobody here has stated football is safe or not dngerous FFS.

I'm not saying anyone has stated that football is safe or dangerous, it's just that every time someone mentions football everyone doesn't repeat the same shit about how dangerous it is ect like they do with Crossfit, go through all the Crossfit threads, you will know what I'm talking about

I'm not saying anyone has stated that football is safe or dangerous, it's just that every time someone mentions football everyone doesn't repeat the same shit about how dangerous it is ect like they do with Crossfit, go through all the Crossfit threads, you will know what I'm talking about

Millions of people watch and play footy, youd need to be pretty dumb to not understand and be aware of the inherant risk.

this is the confusing part for most...

It's why players of sports are - or well, *should* be placed on "off season" weight training programs, to minimize the risk of injury on the field.
During the season, should be scaled down to just maintainance.

compound exercise to develop strength around a joint as they deliver much greater force.
single joint exercise also has it's place here.

Last edited:
A pre season program would not have prevented this injury. House keeping and planning would have. This will be a big wake up call for affiliates running weekend comps to make some money

A pre season program would not have prevented this injury. House keeping and planning would have. This will be a big wake up call for affiliates running weekend comps to make some money

No, you are right, nothing can prepare ones body by a bar loaded with 2 x BW or more crashing and pinning one spine causing catastrophic injury.

His snatch failed backwards, nothing new here, happens every day at any weightlifting club in the world. He didn't drop it on himself, he failed backwards and the bar hit the bumpers behind him bouncing the bar into his back. Blame Crossfit, blame Olympic Weightlifting, blame fatigue, blame his lack of pre season work, whatever mate...not one person on here has presented a reasonable argument to suggest any of these to be true

His snatch failed backwards, nothing new here, happens every day at any weightlifting club in the world. He didn't drop it on himself, he failed backwards and the bar hit the bumpers behind him bouncing the bar into his back. Blame Crossfit, blame Olympic Weightlifting, blame fatigue, blame his lack of pre season work, whatever mate...not one person on here has presented a reasonable argument to suggest any of these to be true

Well I blame him for doing Olympic lifts with stuff behind him and who ever was supposed to be putting their śhit away.

Going by that vid that lex posted, it appears as though the bar hits his back before it hits the floor, the plate behind doesn't seem to interfere?

well, I repeat my summary, Olympic lifts are dangerous, have seen a few serious accidents, and I broke my wrist doing them.

Doing Olympic lifts pre-fatigued is even more dangerous. This is not an argument, it is logic.

But I say let the bozos do it in their claim for being part of a great sport.

Well I blame him for doing Olympic lifts with stuff behind him and who ever was supposed to be putting their śhit away.

I blame event organizers, that's how they set it up. It's a freak accident, but there is a lesson to be learnt none the less