• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginner concerns re: Scale?

That's my understanding of it also
Regardless, what's important is don't be a fat bastard in the first place

that's it.. really important not to get fat as a kid, cos then you're battling for life..

inneresting..
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7319684
Int J Obes. 1981;5(6):605-11.

Growth of adipose tissue in infants, children and adolescents: variations in growth disorders.

Ginsberg-Fellner F.

Abstract
In order to identify factors important in the growth of adipose tissue, four groups of children were studied. Infants of gestational diabetic mothers demonstrated increased fat cell numbers as early as age two months, a finding which accelerated with increasing age, and which was associated with persistent hyperinsulinemia and increasing obesity.

Children with growth hormone deficiency increased their adipose cell number following treatment with exogenous hormone. Patients with the Prader-Willi syndrome, who developed obesity after the age of two, did so primarily via increases in fat cell size.

Identical twins who were concordant for birthweight continued to have similar weights and total adipocyte numbers, while in those with discordant birthweights the smaller twin displays lower body weight and adipose cell number.

The data indicate that growth hormone and insulin, as well as genetic factors, which may be modified by the in-utero environment, are important determinants of human adipose tissue mass.

Exactly. That is why the forever bulking recommendations are a great way to guarantee you always look like shit.

And the thing is once you get fat over a period of time your body actually needs LESS calories to maintain that amount of fat

I may of missed it through the thread - but based on the no carbs at night, no carbs in the morning - When is the best time to eat carbs then?

I know when I like to have my carbs and i'll stick to what I do - I am not really asking because that is what I will start doing - I am just wondering based on these ideas when they think the best times are? and why?

Back in the day the staple bodybuilding diet was low fat, high protein, high carb. Bb's in the 90's looked jacked on that.

It's all about volume of food provided you are getting enough protein

Old school diets (Arnold era) were really focused around fats and protein - here is an example on a diet back in the 70's - I have posted a thread about this before somewhere -

70′s Nutrition Guide

Breakfast:

• cheese omelette
  • cottage cheese
  • scrambled eggs
  • hamburger patty
  • juice

Lunch:

• chicken breast
  • tuna
  • eggs
  • cottage cheese
  • salad
Afternoon:

• protein drink
  • tuner salad
Dinner:

• 2 hambuger patties with cheese on them
  • cottage cheese
  • maybe some eggs, steak chicken, turkey
  • salad
Bed Time: (11 o’clock at night)

• Protein Drink
  • cheese omelette
  • cottage cheese

Back in the day the staple bodybuilding diet was low fat, high protein, high carb. Bb's in the 90's looked jacked on that.

It's all about volume of food provided you are getting enough protein

The one consistent in BB diets over the years has been high protein. People have got jacked on all sorts of variations of the high protein theme.

One of the things Kiefer (CBL author) says is that insulin is required to take the glucose in the blood stream to fat and muscle. This is why you can have trouble building muscle and not fat - insulin does both jobs.

He says though you can get around it through heavy exercise - the glucose can get to the muscle if you do weight training - through "glut4" transporters (book goes into detail).

I asked my diabetic mate if his blood glucose dropped after heavy exercise - he said yes, that always happens. I found that interesting - mind you I think he might even mean a light walk or run to the train as exercise - otherwise he's a bit of a couch potatoe (AFAIK).

The one consistent in BB diets over the years has been high protein. People have got jacked on all sorts of variations of the high protein theme.

Building muscle requires meats, grains and legumes and eaten together provide all the aminos needed.

You've got to do a bit of exercise to.

How hard or often is up to you and your ability to recover.

Under 21?

Eat twice as much if you want to biuld more muscle

How hard or often is up to you.

Over 40?

Start eating much less

How hard or often is up to you.

I may of missed it through the thread - but based on the no carbs at night, no carbs in the morning - When is the best time to eat carbs then?

Depends on your goals and where you currently are, the books (CBL and Carb Nite) explain how to use insulin to your advantage, I am not going to be able to explain in a forum post what took two books and hundreds of scientific studies to put together.

Generally if you follow a CBL protocol, you only consume carbs just after training, to assist your body to transport proteins into muscle cells when they are most receptive, in the morning fat cells are more likely to empty, as the hormonal balance of the body is set up to do so.

CBL is designed for people that already are pretty lean and is supposed to give you the final edge in maximising your natural gains and lean-ness. Carb Nite is more for people who still have a fair bit of fat to drop, both diets are designed to be done by people training with weights, not cardio bunnies, as it revolves around your weight training.

Like I said read the books and references and it's really quite simple to understand, also explains why other eating methods fail, and why some work.

Mick again you are focusing on what happens at an instant rather than the whole day. Does fat loss only occur for the minutes after a meal that you are focusing on or does it happen over 24 hours a day.

Well you have to focus on when your body responds best to certain things, no point trying to fight what it does naturally, you can't argue away hormones and how they affect what goes on in your body

CBL isn't a scientific reference. Its a fad diet like any other sold by a guy making money selling the fad.

No one said CBL is a scientific refernece:confused:

What makes it a fad diet?? So any new scientific findings and research and development is a fad?? Have you read the books to be able to make this judgement and even comment on something that you clearly have no idea about. Unless you have read the books and followed up on the over 50 pages or scientific studies listed in the books as references you really are talking out of your arse, it would be like me telling you how to run a dairy farm, I have no idea, so I don't comment on it.

Eat any meal and it will stop or slow fat loss considerably. Going by your theory you shouldn't eat anything, ever.

Others stick their head in the sand??? Lol.

Well again refer to the book and around 50 pages of referenced scientific studies, then come back and comment on something you have educated yourself on. As only then you can make an educated and valid comment.

Building muscle requires meats, grains and legumes and eaten together provide all the aminos needed.

WTF??

Where did this gem come from?? Since when would building muscle require meats, grains and legumes and eaten together??

What benefits would the grains and legumes give you, pretty sure millions of people have build muscle without eating these three together. I personally pretty much never eat these together, so there for I should have no muscles??

Last edited:
Depends on your goals and where you currently are, the books (CBL and Carb Nite) explain how to use insulin to your advantage, I am not going to be able to explain in a forum post what took two books and hundreds of scientific studies to put together.

QUOTE]

As prob 30-40% of people train in the morning and maybe 50% at night (rough guess - prob not many people train in the middle of the day due to work)

Does that mean they are doomed to get results due to consuming carbs at these times?

or is it ok to consume carbs at these times if it is post workout? Does that cancel everything "bad" out?

Honest question...

Rugby the book goes over options for those training in the morning. Buy it and join us, everything is explained in there that you need to know. I can pm you the pdf.

The book does reference a shitload of studies, however one seemingly appropriate criticism I've read is that the studies are referenced and used beyond what they were intended for. For example, insulin spikes in the morning therefore delay your nutrient intake - the premise is solid, but does delaying breakfast really cause you to burn significantly more fat? Does spiking insulin post workout really cause huge changes in muscle repair? Subtle changes, perhaps - but it's not quantified anywhere.

I doubt it makes huge changes, I've only been on it a few weeks. I'll be coming off it tomorrow, being generous and saying I build 20% more muscle, 20% less fat on it - it's not worth it to me to feel so dead during the day. I need SOME carbs.

image7.png

Rugby the book goes over options for those training in the morning. Buy it and join us, everything is explained in there that you need to know. I can pm you the pdf.

Haha I am ok mate - cheers.

I just asked a question and looking for an answer?

Generally if you follow a CBL protocol, you only consume carbs just after training, to assist your body to transport proteins into muscle cells when they are most receptive, in the morning fat cells are more likely to empty, as the hormonal balance of the body is set up to do so.

CBL is designed for people that already are pretty lean and is supposed to give you the final edge in maximising your natural gains and lean-ness. Carb Nite is more for people who still have a fair bit of fat to drop, both diets are designed to be done by people training with weights, not cardio bunnies, as it revolves around your weight training.

Like I said read the books and references and it's really quite simple to understand, also explains why other eating methods fail, and why some work.

Well you have to focus on when your body responds best to certain things, no point trying to fight what it does naturally, you can't argue away hormones and how they affect what goes on in your body

No one said CBL is a scientific refernece:confused:

What makes it a fad diet?? So any new scientific findings and research and development is a fad?? Have you read the books to be able to make this judgement and even comment on something that you clearly have no idea about. Unless you have read the books and followed up on the over 50 pages or scientific studies listed in the books as references you really are talking out of your arse, it would be like me telling you how to run a dairy farm, I have no idea, so I don't comment on it.

Well again refer to the book and around 50 pages of referenced scientific studies, then come back and comment on something you have educated yourself on. As only then you can make an educated and valid comment.

WTF??

Where did this gem come from?? Since when would building muscle require meats, grains and legumes and eaten together??

What benefits would the grains and legumes give you, pretty sure millions of people have build muscle without eating these three together. I personally pretty much never eat these together, so there for I should have no muscles??

Mick where to start.

Its a fad diet. Just jumping on the bandwagon like every other fad diet before it.

So with you following every latest fad diet out there why are you just like any other middle aged fat bloke and not the most jacked motherfucker going around.