• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginner concerns re: Scale?

Agreed. So trying out a new "plan" of attack keeping my macros in mind... This is what i plan to consume over the coarse of a full day.

500g lean beef/chicken.
2 of the above described shakes.
300g steam green veg.
Snacking on fresh fruit throughout.

This should come pretty close to my protein requirements. For fats my cousin suggested i put a tablespoon of olive oil over my meals but im not sure if i like that idea. This also leaves me at a pretty large caloric deficit that im not entirely sure on how to overcome (would it hinder me much?). Anyone have suggestions for fats and/or cals?

That should give you about 170-180 grams of protein, probably enough for most purposes.

Eat as many non starchy veggies and salad as you like.

Re Fat's - Add a green salad with plenty of olive oil to dinner (and lunch??), add some oil to your shakes (you won't taste it), have full cream milk instead of rubbish light milk, have a 'Bullet Proof Coffee' for breakfast (Coffee, MCT oil, butter), does not taste as bad as it sounds, Google it, fish oil capsules etc. Peanut butter (and fats in general) are very calorie dense foods so make sure you count them in overall calorie intake.

Personally I would try and keep carbs to a minimum, most people seem to see the best results that way, but it is what works for you, but you need to get the basics down of your eating as most gains/losses are made with your diet.

Stay away from excessive 'diet' foods and drinks and of course soft drinks, and refined sugars and grains. I drink water 95% of the time, might have the occasional soft drink may be once a week or so, generally stick to Zero coke ice cold, and only one can, goes well with fatty foods for me, when water just does not cut it, like a big feed of pork ribs or similar.

May be try ONI's method of varying calorie intake on various days, like a few low cal days, and some higher, not sure it does anything and I have never tried it, but worth a try, find what suits you.:)

I thought you were going to say cbl which is the current nutrient timing tend but nope went with the older one.

Track your calls for a bit including snacks. Get an accurate idea about consumption. Measure and weigh food. 2 weeks should be enough.

Adjust from there if required.

Take photos and measurements to track progress also

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Was thinking this. People have short memories.

It was only 6-12 months ago the anti carb crowd was touting the evils of carbs after 4pm. Now its carbs are evil in the morning. Lol. What's next. Carbs evil at lunch.

The basics of diet are simple you can't get around calories in vs calories out.

The psychological part of dieting is that hard part and that's where all they fancy sounding fad diets can work for some. Some suit some people others suit other people.

You have to find the style of eating that suits you. For most people that involves eating foods you enjoy because who is going to stick with a diet long term that excludes their favorite foods.

It was only 6-12 months ago the anti carb crowd was touting the evils of carbs after 4pm. Now its carbs are evil in the morning. Lol. What's next. Carbs evil at lunch.
0ni's on the "carbs are always eville" wagon atm

No you don't need to go low carb. Fark me, this is starting to seem like a women's fitness magazine.

If you really want to you can get a blood glucose test to test your insulin sensitivity. If you are deemed insulin resistant, then lowering carbs wouldn't be a bad idea.

I dont understand the not eating carbs in the morning thing also....? Wouldnt it be one of the best times to consume carbs due to a drop in blood sugar levels while sleeping thus creating an insulin spike in the morning...

I dont understand the not eating carbs in the morning thing also....? Wouldnt it be one of the best times to consume carbs due to a drop in blood sugar levels while sleeping thus creating an insulin spike in the morning...

...and stopping any weight loss instantly, and putting your body into fat gain mode.

You body is generally in weight loss mode in the mornings, spiking your insulin will instantly cause your body to produce/fill fat cells, this is of course all dependant on your overall diet.

Spiking insulin after a weights workout in combination with protein should assist in transporting protein into muscle cells, maximising muscle gains. Nothing new really, this has been around for a long time, but they did not really know why and is scientifically proven unlike a lot of other theories. Even the old school body builders like Arnold and his crew followed this sort of basic eating pattern. No Carbs and only fats and protein during the day and carbs after training.

How much difference it makes depends on your overall diet and training of course. May be read CBL i explains it all along with all the scientific references you can read up if you feel the need. It's all about educating yourself and reading the information that is out there, unlike a lot here who just stick their head in the sand hoping for the best.

Last edited:
...and stopping any weight loss instantly, and putting your body into fat gain mode.

You body is generally in weight loss mode in the mornings, spiking your insulin will instantly cause your body to produce/fill fat cells, this is of course all dependant on your overall diet.

Spiking insulin after a weights workout in combination with protein should assist in transporting protein into muscle cells, maximising muscle gains. Nothing new really, this has been around for a long time and is scientifically proven unlike a lot of other theories.

How much difference it makes depends on your overall diet and training of course. May be read CBL i explains it al,l along with all the scientific references you can read up if you feel the nedd. It's all about educating yourself and reading the information that is out there, unlike a lot here who just stick their head in the sand hoping for the best.

Mick again you are focusing on what happens at an instant rather than the whole day. Does fat loss only occur for the minutes after a meal that you are focusing on or does it happen over 24 hours a day.

CBL isn't a scientific reference. Its a fad diet like any other sold by a guy making money selling the fad.

Eat any meal and it will stop or slow fat loss considerably. Going by your theory you shouldn't eat anything, ever.

Others stick their head in the sand??? Lol.

Wow eating and training are super fucking simple but this thread has over complicated even the most simple of things!. To the poster this is why you don't ask advice on forums.

Spiking insulin after a weights workout in combination with protein should assist in transporting protein into muscle cells, maximising muscle gains. Nothing new really, this has been around for a long time, but they did not really know why and is scientifically proven unlike a lot of other theories. Even the old school body builders like Arnold and his crew followed this sort of basic eating pattern. No Carbs and only fats and protein during the day and carbs after training.

How much difference it makes depends on your overall diet and training of course. May be read CBL i explains it al,l along with all the scientific references you can read up if you feel the nedd. It's all about educating yourself and reading the information that is out there, unlike a lot here who just stick their head in the sand hoping for the best.

Thanks for the reply mate - honestly I have never heard of not having carbs in the morning - I may of just totally missed this though - I have always heard that the morning is one of the best times for carb intake/spiking insulin.

Thanks for the reply mate - honestly I have never heard of not having carbs in the morning - I may of just totally missed this though - I have always heard that the morning is one of the best times for carb intake/spiking insulin.

The avoid carbs in the morning crew is pretty recent.

ill add abit more of the science behind what big mick posted with CBL, up to you if you think its a load of shit. When you wake up in the morning your cortisol is at its highest, its very catabolic for fat cells and it will help you to mobilise body fat and empty fat cells. By eating carbs while having high cortisol it will stop your body from emptying fatcells and it can cause your body to create new fat cells. That is why its recommended to delay breakfast for atleast 2 hours after waking, you can still eat breakfast if you want but the most important thing is to skip carbs.

If youre bored I can link you some of his private videos

this explains cbl
Code:
http://vimeo.com/83465036 password: truth9383

Insulin
Code:
http://vimeo.com/83465037 password: point1932

The Power of Carbohydrates
Code:
http://vimeo.com/83511740 password: pcarbs5072

Clean carb myth
Code:
http://vimeo.com/83511739 password: load3910

Why I hate Paleo
Code:
http://vimeo.com/83511741 password: paleohate293

Last edited:
Wow eating and training are super fucking simple but this thread has over complicated even the most simple of things!. To the poster this is why you don't ask advice on forums.

Because everyone who ever posted on a forum is wrong including you. I shoulda known. :rolleyes:

ill add abit more of the science behind what big mick posted with CBL, up to you if you think its a load of shit. When you wake up in the morning your cortisol is at its highest, its very catabolic for fat cells and it will help you to mobilise body fat and empty fat cells. By eating carbs while having high cortisol it will stop your body from emptying fatcells and it can cause your body to create new fat cells. That is why its recommended to delay breakfast for atleast 2 hours after waking, you can still eat breakfast if you want but the most important thing is to skip carbs.

If youre bored I can link you some of his private videos

this explains cbl
Code:
http://vimeo.com/83465036 password: truth9383

Insulin
Code:
http://vimeo.com/83465037 password: point1932

The Power of Carbohydrates
Code:
http://vimeo.com/83511740 password: pcarbs5072

Clean carb myth
Code:
http://vimeo.com/83511739 password: load3910

Why I hate Paleo
Code:
http://vimeo.com/83511741 password: paleohate293

I'm pretty sure that each of us have a predertimed number of fat cells and your body doesn't 'make' anymore.

See, you can't trust anything anymore. :D

I trust you buddy.

The fat cells reduce in size, the more you eat the more fat there is stored the more fat cells are produced.

The only true way to reduce fat is surgically removing the cells.

http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketsc...is-set-in-childhood-and-stays-constant-in-ad/

I thought the current medical thinking (at 2008) was that for most people (adults, after adolescence), number of fat cells stays fairly constant, even though there is turnover of the cells.. at least for subcutaneous fat..
but some studies suggest hyperplasia for visceral fat?
if visceral fat can add cells, then maybe it can reduce number of cells as well...

not sure what happens for very obese people. in terms of adding cells... or very very lean people in terms of losing them

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...healthy-fat-cells/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
"metabolically healthy obese" make lots more fat cells during adolescence, so while still fat, they have more smaller fat cells?
doesn't mean the number changes much during adulthood....

which brings me to a question.... do any bodybuilders opt for liposuction in offseason, to reduce number of fat cells?? if you really want to be lean.. no fat cells is probably easier to maintain than keeping many fat cells small?