• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How important is a good spotter to your workout?

Not important to me as such, the only exercise that could be bad is bench pressing. Good grip and conservative plate increases and lots of hot chicks in lycra ensure i am ok

As long as you don't do it like this.

IkoDBg0.jpg

No spotter for me, I train alone at home, all by PB's in my signature were done with no spotter and are pretty conservative as to what my real PB would be I guess.

I sometimes feel like, on my last rep, a spotter to hold the weight at various positions in the rep for a few seconds would be beneficial

Like slow negative, help it up to an inch off the chest and hold, few inches higher and hold, just enough that I am having to push maximally the whole time, 4-5 times to lockout

I agree that a spotter would be nice to have, as it could definitely help progress, with heavy weights, I just don't have one:)

Very important imo if you want to push yourself to the limits. 90% of exercises can be performed without one, it's mainly squats/benching when your pushing yourself you need one. Over the year's it's let me pick up bigger weights than I normally would by myself.

Very important imo if you want to push yourself to the limits. 90% of exercises can be performed without one, it's mainly squats/benching when your pushing yourself you need one. Over the year's it's let me pick up bigger weights than I normally would by myself.

Why would you need a spotter for squats. Wouldn't you just bail into the safeties on your rack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt realise how importnt they are untill you have to train on your own.
I've trained with the same bloke for 15 years and now he's recovering from an operation, be some time before he can spot properly never alone train.
We know each others strenghts and weaknesses, always monitoring each others form, know when to push each other and when to say "back off a bit" looks like you losing form and will worsen your injury.
There is no substitue, this bloke knows when I'm genuinely fucked and couldnt be fucked, motivation is not a choice then.
Makes a huge difference to me, but then again if youre used to training alone and motivating yourself, would not matter.

Reading some of these posts reminds me of how long I've been training on my own and just how much heavier I could push on the key exercises when I had a primo spotter.

No way in hell I'd attempt even 3/4 the weights I was able to press when I was training with my spotter back in the day.

Phukkit... least I'm still working.