• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift issues

misslifty

Hi,

Having issues with my hamstrings (top) it is causing issues with my deadlift.

Could also be my starting position as soon as I pull I feel it pinch/tight like it will snap at the bottom of my BUM.

I can DEFECIT and trap bar the same weight as conventional with no real issues.

any input appreciated greatly.

Thanks

Updated with Link to vid, first lifts are bent legs for something different, can I please get help on the convential lift.

Thanks

http://ausbb.com/showpost.php?p=530048&postcount=19

Last edited:
Get a deep tissue massage on the hamstrings, lower back, glutes and quads

...and after the first and second warm up sets stretch your hams. Actually, I stretch them after all workout sets, too.

Get your arse lower, you should get some coaching. Your strong, just need to get your cues right.

Gaaaah!!! My eyes!!!!

Your form is 'orrible.

First off. Whydafuq are you deadlifting in squat shoes? The raised heel pushes you forward when the bar is on the floor, adding to your bad posture. Shoulders should be over the bar, unless you are Gimli the Dwarf. And even then they should be over the bar.

They also add whatever height you have under your heel to the entire lift, so you are having to lift the bar an extra few cm. But worst of all, they pitch you forward. Take the shoes off and lift in sock or a flat sole shoe like Chuck Taylors or wrestling shoes or, best of all, Metal deadlfit shoes. $$$$ but worth it.

Your lower back is curved like it's about to snap, which it will eventually. All dem discs between your vertebrae squishing and squeezing just waiting to burst or pop out of place or pinch a nerve. If you keep going like that you will be having to slide out of bed on your belly to crawl to the toilet to pee. I kid you not.

Get your arse down way much more (like wot Brick said). Low enough so that you can get a proper arch to your lower back. Concave, not convex as you are doing. That will also, once you ditch the shoes, help you get your shoulders over the bar and let you use your legs to break from the floor. At the moment its all back. Mostly lower back too. Ahem. Your legs are almost unused as can be seen by that "almost hitching" move 3/4 of the way through the lift. Your legs should be locked, or almost so, by that stage. Do that in a comp and you will more likely to be red lighted for hitching.

Keep your head up, as you are doing, but get the back arched and LOCKED first.

Why are you doing them so slow? Deadlift should be explosive, like an Olympic lift. Do them slow, if you have a reason for it (insert gaycrossfitmovement here) but under normal conditions you should be blasting off the floor.

So, get the weight off your toes which will get the weight on your heels which will help you use your legs and keep your back straight.

I gotta go have a lie down now. I'm all abother.

I wish woody allen did in fact do powerlifting.

I'd just do what Brick said. Find a powerlifting coach (local PTC?) it will do wonders for you, looks like you're doing a lot wrong there and you're on a fast track to injury.

I wish woody allen did in fact do powerlifting.

Would that make a difference to the solution?

"Squats/deadlifts: Injured, maybe 20kg each now (including bar weight)." "Training Exp:6 Months"

*Cough*

Last edited:
Wow, you managed to insult each other while agreeing with each other.

Basically everything everyone's said is right, except A. Aiming for an arched spine. Aim for a neutral or slightly more curved than neutral spine and B. "deadlift should be explosive, like an Olympic lift". Do each rep as fast as possible, but a lot of people lose the ability to be explosive with conventional from about 70%.

Also, it's not that your lower back is doing all the work. The problem is that your lower back is weak, so you're finding a position where other muscles can take up the strain that the lower back should be. You can see this from the fact that you're hitching to lock out - your lower back can't straighten itself so you re-bend your knees while you straighten it because you can then just lock out with your quads.

Push the floor away with your feet.

Make sure your body lifts as one, not segmented.

Long legs? Use a wider stance.
Play around with this.

[MENTION=17129]ringo_191[/MENTION];
Watch what happens. When she starts with her hips low, they shoot up because her lower back isn't strong enough to hold her posture off the floor.

Last edited:
Woody Allen is not a funny man, lets clear that up :)

I'm at the GYM now, I'll go back to basics untill my technique breaks down ( what I think is correct) and ill post up the vid and see what you think.

Cant type anymore hittings ARMS like a MOFO :)

Cheers

hi all,
definitely need to get your bum down lower and also you shouldnt be wearing the lifting shoes when deadlifting, this will be adding to you problems
Pretty good tutorial here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuCxGnLUQAw. Some of her tips helped me out.

There seems to be confusion going on between conventional deads and romanian deads. Misslifty seemed to be trying to do romanian deads - in which case I don't understand why you would be wanting to start lower.

As an aside, this is the powerlifting/strength training section. I would assume that it means you can talk about strength oriented goals on exercises other than say bench or regular deads.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Woody Allen is not a funny man, lets clear that up :)

I'm at the GYM now, I'll go back to basics untill my technique breaks down ( what I think is correct) and ill post up the vid and see what you think.

Cant type anymore hittings ARMS like a MOFO :)

Cheers

Hey bro
You want to be a weightlifter right? You need to stop deadlifting
Start doing RDL instead, focus on pushing butt back. When you're good at this, so the RDL then bend knees to drop to the floor. After a while of this you'll be able to deadlift the bar up into the RDL position, jump and shrug

Basically the straight back is the key to the whole operation, so progress in a way that allows the back to always be straight- from the top down

Hi, video is up.

Just in case some of you may not know I am a mid 40's mother of 3 just having a go. I would like to try Olympic lifting when I overcome some elbow/forearm issues but will keep doing everything else.

Cheers

http://youtu.be/XapIYllr2Cw

Yes those deadlifts were very good
But you still need to decide if you want to weight lift or power lift

I just want to lift and get stronger in every muscle group and exercise. I don't want to limit myself, I have limited time left being able to do this.

I dont want to compete, I Just want to keep improving.