• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I think I recall A Current Affair doing a piece which found some fruit in Supermarkets can be up to a year old. Supermarket chains preserve seasonal fruit and vegies so scarcity is lessened.
The growers do. Supermarkets buy from growers.

they want our money.our job is to keep them honest.dont put things in our food that could harm us down the road and ill keep buying.

Last edited:
I think I recall A Current Affair doing a piece which found some fruit in Supermarkets can be up to a year old. Supermarket chains preserve seasonal fruit and vegies so scarcity is lessened.

oh my god, kunce want apples all year round and are shocked to hear that they are getting stock that may be out of season.

oh my god, kunce want apples all year round and are shocked to hear that they are getting stock that may be out of season.

they were discussing the use of chemicals and someone stated that fruit was stored for months. I clarified it that it was more like a year to avoid scarcity. Not a judgement just a clarification.

But I don't think the majors Woolworths or Coles are ethical anyways.

The growers do. Supermarkets buy from growers.

Growers don't have massive air controlled storage facilities to keep all their winter fruit in the hopes of gradually dispensing them to supermarkets as each order arrives. Supermarkets buy the whole frigging crop, then place it into their facilities pumped with inert gases to prevent early spoilage.
My apple grown from Margaret River WA could have travelled to Melbourne for storage back in July before being trucked back into my local Woollies in March before I finally get to eat it.

But I don't think the majors Woolworths or Coles are ethical anyways.
Phew! using the word ethical and one of the duopolies in the same sentence, is not something I get to see everyday!

Personally I eat whatever is in season brought from my local markets, supplemented with some nice herbs and fruit that a pleasant old lady from down the road gives me. (in return for some muscle worship orly)

If you're going to grow tommies, makes sure their the big ugly bastards, with lots of flesh and minimal seed.

i don't believe a tomato is not like it use to be, because of farming methods, like many veggies and stuff, it's the variety, used.

c99976fd8a1c980f874b283f3afacde0.jpg

I got a boner looking at that. Reminds me of a girl I once knew. And reminds me of the tomatoes my grandad used to grow. Big buggers. One slice to cover a piece of bread.

Can you stay on topic?let me remind you we are discussing small home gardens and secondly personal preference regarding taste.Then theres the long term side effects(whether their are any or not) of using synthetic chemicals to enhance the crop.
look ill be honest im going to digress,i reckon dairy farmers have caused a lot of pollution in NZ so therefore i have a bit of a mistrust of what you guys have to say.Your financially motivated.Our long term health is secondary.
Its your opinion whether something is better for the general public.YOUR OPINION.
Whether you are providing to the economy wont mean a lot to future generations when they have to clean up the mess.

Gerry I'm staying on topic to what you keep posting about.

Synthetic or natural chemicals have the potential to be harmful and have long term side effects, it's not just synthetic chemicals that are dangerous. You say synthetic chemicals to enhance a crop. Can you name any of these chemicals and the way they enhance a crop.

So now you go off topic. Farming needs to be sustainable long term otherwise you go broke. Not saying than no farmers pollute but that in no way the goal for most. Talk to farmers and most are doing a hell of a lot more for the environment than the do gooders posting on the net about pollution.

It's actually not my opinion. I go with what the science and evidence says. Nothing to do with my opinion.

If you're going to grow tommies, makes sure their the big ugly bastards, with lots of flesh and minimal seed.

i don't believe a tomato is not like it use to be, because of farming methods, like many veggies and stuff, it's the variety, used.

As usual you have got it pretty much spot on. It's the varieties that are selected by what the fucken consumer wants these days.

The average mum that does the shopping doesn't want a misshapen tomato the size of your head. They want a small to medium size, even shaped tomato often with a mild to bland taste. So that's what to growers want to sell.

Trust me if there was a market for massive tomatoes, give the plant breeders 10 years and you would have tomatoes almost as big as watermelons.

Surely there is a market for that! Imagine one slice off a big tomato that is just the right size to fit inside my sandwich? I among many others would be mega chuffed.

Surely there is a market for that! Imagine one slice off a big tomato that is just the right size to fit inside my sandwich? I among many others would be mega chuffed.

Ok your right there may be a small market but it's not going to cover the millions of dollars and years required to breed this type of tomato. Then you go to sell it and the mums buying the groceries don't want a huge tomato because it goes off before its all used.

Also no doubt what would happen. The breeders produce a massive tomato and people start with the conspiracy theories of all the chemicals that must have been used to grow a tomato that big.

Gerry I'm staying on topic to what you keep posting about.

Synthetic or natural chemicals have the potential to be harmful and have long term side effects, it's not just synthetic chemicals that are dangerous. You say synthetic chemicals to enhance a crop. Can you name any of these chemicals and the way they enhance a crop.

So now you go off topic. Farming needs to be sustainable long term otherwise you go broke. Not saying than no farmers pollute but that in no way the goal for most. Talk to farmers and most are doing a hell of a lot more for the environment than the do gooders posting on the net about pollution.

It's actually not my opinion. I go with what the science and evidence says. Nothing to do with my opinion.

google is your friend Baz.

And the river we used to swim in as kids is now very polluted from dairy farming.thats my evidence.im not saying its something you would do.but it does happen.

google is your friend Baz.

And the river we used to swim in as kids is now very polluted from dairy farming.thats my evidence.im not saying its something you would do.but it does happen.

I'm guessing from soil erosion run off. I've seen it in NZ. I can tell you it's not something that any farmer wants. Top soil is where your crops grow, it running down the river is literally money going down the drain.

Farmers like everyone else are not perfect obviously. When we are dealing with the variability of weather mistakes happen but farming techniques are evolving all the time to stop this stuff from happening.

Out of curiosity bazza what do you grow and where?

What is your general opinion of Australian farming practice? Is it generally efficient and sustainable?

What capacity does it have to expand?

Do you take anything Barnaby Joyce says seriously?

It's the varieties that are selected by what the fucken consumer wants these days.

Well, not this one.

The average mum that does the shopping doesn't want a misshapen tomato the size of your head. They want a small to medium size, even shaped tomato often with a mild to bland taste. So that's what to growers want to sell.

Horse shit. Since when does anyone want bland food. I guess that since the supermarkets have sold hydroponic tasteless shit for the last 25 years, that's what the average consumer now expects, but not necessarily wants, in the supermarkets.

I'm pretty sure that if they sold real tomatoes for a month then went back to the used tampons that pass as tomatoes there would be a problem.

Also, the supermarkets know that people want real tomatoes which is why they jack the price up on those fancy ones that come with the vine still attached. It's basic sales horse shit. Provide something that only the top 5% can afford, knowing you will sell much less, then jack up the margins on the cheap shit. The crap then looks like a real bargain which the 95% buy. Let me assure you, that 100% of car ads show the top model with all the extras, not the basic high profit margin model.

Trust me if there was a market for massive tomatoes, give the plant breeders 10 years and you would have tomatoes almost as big as watermelons.

Again, you miss the point. It's not about size (cough), it's about taste (snicker). Like raw milk. I don't drink raw milk for the russian roulette or the health benefits (although there definitely are benefits). I drink it because it tastes like real milk. Not the watered down homogenised permeate soylent green shit that they foist onto the unwashed masses.

The supermarkets sell the mid sized, homogenised tasteless tomato because they are picked unripe to make them impervious to road transport. Real vine ripened tomatoes would not make it to the shops as they are not picked, gently placed in trays and driven straight to your local supermarket. They are trucked in mass to distribution centres, retrucked to state distribution centres then retrucked again to supermarkets, all over a week or so. Their costs are down, profits are up. It tastes like shit but there is money in the bank and the peasants are none the wiser.

Well, not this one.

Horse shit. Since when does anyone want bland food. I guess that since the supermarkets have sold hydroponic tasteless shit for the last 25 years, that's what the average consumer now expects, but not necessarily wants, in the supermarkets.

I'm pretty sure that if they sold real tomatoes for a month then went back to the used tampons that pass as tomatoes there would be a problem.

Also, the supermarkets know that people want real tomatoes which is why they jack the price up on those fancy ones that come with the vine still attached. It's basic sales horse shit. Provide something that only the top 5% can afford, knowing you will sell much less, then jack up the margins on the cheap shit. The crap then looks like a real bargain which the 95% buy. Let me assure you, that 100% of car ads show the top model with all the extras, not the basic high profit margin model.

Again, you miss the point. It's not about size (cough), it's about taste (snicker). Like raw milk. I don't drink raw milk for the russian roulette or the health benefits (although there definitely are benefits). I drink it because it tastes like real milk. Not the watered down homogenised permeate soylent green shit that they foist onto the unwashed masses.

The supermarkets sell the mid sized, homogenised tasteless tomato because they are picked unripe to make them impervious to road transport. Real vine ripened tomatoes would not make it to the shops as they are not picked, gently placed in trays and driven straight to your local supermarket. They are trucked in mass to distribution centres, retrucked to state distribution centres then retrucked again to supermarkets, all over a week or so. Their costs are down, profits are up. It tastes like shit but there is money in the bank and the peasants are none the wiser.

Well woody since you know so much about what everyone wants, grow your awesome tomatos and make a fortune on them since your the expert and know how to grow them better than the stupid farmers.

Also you don't know what you are talking about with milk. I bet blind tested you couldn't tell the difference between raw milk and the same milk pasteurized and homogenized. The milk you are getting probably just had a higher fat content and nothing to do with being raw. And no there isn't health benefits from drinking raw milk. Lol, come on mate, get in the real world. Why not eat your steak and chicken raw if it's so healthy for you. Fuck why even cook any thing then.

Hey Kunce, srs Q.
my oldman always had a veg garden (a lot of the the time I had to to convince him that it is too embarrassing to grow them in the FRONT yard) and they taste awesome, especially the tomatoes and strawberries, you can smell them from a mile away.
The ones you buy have no taste, no smell, no flavour, what is the difference?
My kids love the the old mans strawberries and actually eat his tomatoes and cucumbers, but when my missus buys the same shit from the supermarket the hardly touch them?
my old man has his wog theory on it, but why is the actual difference?