• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squats. What stance for maximum quad development?

• Feet together / narrow

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Shoulder width

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Wide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sumo

• Other

• All or some of the above

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
I've been experimenting with a narrow stance, definitely feel the quads more. I had DOMS in the teardrop muscle which I never usually get.

I've been experimenting with a narrow stance, definitely feel the quads more. I had DOMS in the teardrop muscle which I never usually get.

You'll notice this a lot with powerlifting type squat technique, bugger all development in the lower quad area around the knees

That's where I lack. Probably (most likely) from wider stance most of my training life.

Front squats if quads are the thing you want.

Back squats for overall.
Not for me. And even though the front squat does place more emphasis on certain areas of the leg muscles, it's nowhere near a complete exercise to build complete thighs. I found the only time my legs really grew (and became complete) beyond what I could achieve with back and front squat alone, was when I made use of the leg press machine. Why?

As everyone here has already said, the squat has its "in the groove" type of a stance, and varying that like some "crazy" bodybuilders do just to place more focus on the outer or inner thigh muscles, only serves to invites and would eventually lead to an unnecessary injury. The better choice to direct more focus on different parts of the quads would be to make full use of the leg press platform, which is very possible to do, minus all the potential injuries one can get when choosing to squat in an unnatural and awkward position.

Last edited:
I seem to also lack the inner/lower quad development. Outer quad is thick as hell compared to the tear drop.
Not sure whether this is from lack of squats or just genetic. I've been to doing a little closer stance as it is easier on the knee.
Maybe more of it could help build me more of a teardrop.

I seem to also lack the inner/lower quad development. Outer quad is thick as hell compared to the tear drop.
Not sure whether this is from lack of squats or just genetic. I've been to doing a little closer stance as it is easier on the knee.
Maybe more of it could help build me more of a teardrop.
Narrow stance squats, hack squats, leg press with your feet low on the plate and leg extensions with your toes pointing outwards are all what you want.

I'm going out on a limb here and stating that the leg extension is the key to a healthy strong evenly developed knee joint all exercises are great but it's the extension that is truly isolatory.

a good machine places your knee in the correct axis point, and your upper torso leaning back slightly to totally disengage the antigonsist (ham's).

at full extension and squeezing is where all the magic happens.

I'm going out on a limb here and stating that the leg extension is the key to a healthy strong evenly developed knee joint all exercises are great but it's the extension that is truly isolatory.

a good machine places your knee in the correct axis point, and your upper torso leaning back slightly to totally disengage the antigonsist (ham's).

at full extension and squeezing is where all the magic happens.

I'd agree with that, the only problem being that too many people place the knee in the wrong spot and try and lift the stack rather than focusing on the squeeze

I'd agree with that, the only problem being that too many people place the knee in the wrong spot and try and lift the stack rather than focusing on the squeeze

Some machines are totally wrong also, no matter how good you are some machines are so poorly designed they don't allow correct line of resistance and the load od resistance is all up shit creek.