• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Wrist wraps / Lifting Straps

Why do you try to have opinions on a sport you don't participate in in any way?

The silliest thing I've ever read. We all have opinions on sport we don't participate in.
I haven't played footy or cricket for years but I still have opinions. A lot here comment on MMA but have never struck a blow in anger.
Think before writing next time aye.

I wear elbow sleeves and wrist wraps from about 60kg onwards because I bench so much that my wrists start to feel like glass a few weeks into a cycle.

I always train in knee sleeves.

I use straps when my grip gives out.

They are training tools, not signs of weakness.

Last edited:
Sorry, opinions on training for a sport you aren't involved in. Big difference between having an opinion on a sport and stating the correct way to train for a sport you aren't involved in.

Sorry, opinions on training for a sport you aren't involved in. Big difference between having an opinion on a sport and stating the correct way to train for a sport you aren't involved in.

Meh, lifting is lifting. That's what we are all here for. We don't ask compete but e'er all lift....well most of us.

I'll state anything I like thanks.

I also believe a lot of other codes train stupidly in the gym.

I have broken most of the bones in my right hand, which required wires back into my wrist and now has plates and screws holding it together. I have also broken both of my wrists.. I bench fuck all compared to most here but find that from time to time my right wrist gets sore, tried wraps and they helped so now I use them for a week or two whenever I feel the wrist starting to play up.

My knees are "double jointed" (I can bend them backwards and my kneecaps are a lot more "mobile" than they should be) and I have dislocated both several times. I was getting sharp pain in my knees after squatting and recently tried sleeves, made an immediate difference - no pain at all! I now use the sleeves every time I squat, even though my squat is weak as piss.

To my mind, this is where these things should be used - as Spartacus (I think?) said earlier, to allow you to train around an injury that isn't going to get any better otherwise.. Using these things allows me to train without pain.

All that being said though - if you want to use them in training, go for it. Who gives a fuck what anyone else does in training?

Dave

I have started using wrist wraps after getting sharp pains while benching and pressing

since using them I have become more confident and worry less about my wrists

they are lifting aids are all, use any you deem appropriate.

Not really including you gooby, you're a top member
As I said before, front squats give me the bad wrists, if I wear wraps all the time, it's never an issue and I live pain free. They don't need to be on tight, I can wrap them once and leave them on entire training session. Squats, they need to be on tighter

Is that more of a flexibility issue? Or from an injury?
I wouldn't have thought there was enough load on the wrists in a front squat for any pain to really occur

Is that more of a flexibility issue? Or from an injury?
I wouldn't have thought there was enough load on the wrists in a front squat for any pain to really occur

It's either my tendons or my ligaments getting stretched in the wrist
the wraps stop them being bent back so much

i have a 5 bones in my scarphoid instead of 3 and 2 pins/screws + a rod, without someform of wrist wraps, i reckon my wrist would just shatter lmao especially going for 1 rep max. if you have injuries its a tool, and i dont see anything wrong if it helps lifts more, you can always train your wrist seperately. pulling i am ok just any pressing exercise i get pins and needles in my pinky fingers especially front squat i cant bend my wrist back so far as my right wrist. with wrist wraps i litterally hold 70 kg with my wrist directly under to support instead of shoulders.