• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Wrist wraps / Lifting Straps

As ones grip becomes weaker through fatigue, you're relying more on the strap around your wrist to support the load, it is there, over time, where things get worse, others things like bar positioning, in the palm, or the fold of the hand and hand positioning on the bar causing excessive moment all contribute to a fucked up wrist, might not happen now, but it will over time, guaranteed.

Wrist wraps won't fix it.

Strengthening will.
You should try finger curls.

Last edited:
I didn't articulate properly.

You obviously still grip the bar with your hands, it's not like 100% of the weight is borne by the wrist. For me (when I have used them previously for 200+ deads) I still felt like my grip had nearly all of the weight. The again I don't train for strength primarily so it matters not.

My bench is weak as piss. I use wrist wraps mainly because they give me direct feedback to ensure that I keep my wrists straight. Then becomes something I don't need to think about.

I also use them for squats as in low bar position with as narrow a grip as my shoulders allow the wrists aren't straight. The bar is not loading up the wrists though. I can squat without them but as soon as you look at doing anything remotely high volume it makes sense for me to use them.

I rarely use straps for deadlifts except for when my hands are already a bit beaten up but I did get a slight pain in the wrist from using them last week. First time it's happened though.

My bench is weak as piss. I use wrist wraps mainly because they give me direct feedback to ensure that I keep my wrists straight. Then becomes something I don't need to think about.

I also use them for squats as in low bar position with as narrow a grip as my shoulders allow the wrists aren't straight. The bar is not loading up the wrists though. I can squat without them but as soon as you look at doing anything remotely high volume it makes sense for me to use them.

I rarely use straps for deadlifts except for when my hands are already a bit beaten up but I did get a slight pain in the wrist from using them last week. First time it's happened though.

I like the idea for using wraps as a guide.

I didn't articulate properly.

You obviously still grip the bar with your hands, it's not like 100% of the weight is borne by the wrist. For me (when I have used them previously for 200+ deads) I still felt like my grip had nearly all of the weight. The again I don't train for strength primarily so it matters not.

I just like the idea of only relying on grip strength, when that fatigues I let go of the bar.

With straps, it only needs a little of a relaxed grip to cause damage, if you are unable to hold a weight, you have no business strapping it to the wrist.

Well said chris re the wrist wraps. This is why one would use them.

Straps are a whole different thing. I never use them as I risk getting lazy with the grip, therefore adding what would be an irregular strain somewhere in the chain.

My hands are as strong as fuck, wrists too, but I get a sore right wrist(toss hand) after benching too much without wraps. So I use them. And train pain free. And enjoy it.

OR I could just drop the weight as darkos says and be more shit at bench in the hope that the pain goes away.

Tim.

Still there is no one putting up a decent argument to why straps and wraps are different.

Powerlifters are happy to wrap themselves up and claim it raw but then hate on straps when they do the same things that wraps do.

Not that I want it to happen but as an example why not have straps in raw powerlifting. They have knee wraps, wrist wraps. Why are they different? People would add much more to their total from knee wraps than straps on deads.

People definitely overuse wraps these days! Next people will be putting them on to bench the bar.
I've made the decision to ditch wrist wraps while benching & will only bring them back in just before comps when I'm benching 4+ plates. I feel there's a possible benefit to be had by doing this...

Still there is no one putting up a decent argument to why straps and wraps are different.

Powerlifters are happy to wrap themselves up and claim it raw but then hate on straps when they do the same things that wraps do.

Not that I want it to happen but as an example why not have straps in raw powerlifting. They have knee wraps, wrist wraps. Why are they different? People would add much more to their total from knee wraps than straps on deads.

No argument from me.
It's a really good point.

People definitely overuse wraps these days! Next people will be putting them on to bench the bar.
I've made the decision to ditch wrist wraps while benching & will only bring them back in just before comps when I'm benching 4+ plates. I feel there's a possible benefit to be had by doing this...

A power lifter should train the bench, using a safe (width) grip, most of the time.

I agree with you basically.

I train the way that the rules of my fed say. I never used knee wraps before because I was just a raw lifter not competing. Now that I compete in a fed that allows wraps, I'd be stupid not to use them.

If straps were allowed for deadlifts, I don't think people would get many more kgs anyway. I find them most helpful for long duration holds e.g. pause at knee deadlifts.

A power lifter should train the bench, using a safe (width) grip, most of the time.

Wrong. A powerlifter should train the bench using his/her competition width grip most of the time.

Why do you try to have opinions on a sport you don't participate in in any way?