• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Wrist wraps / Lifting Straps

My take on it is this
If you're a healthy injury free lifter then you have no need of wraps or any other aid.
If you find that you need wraps to be able to lift a certain weight then that weight is too heavy for your body to manage.

My take on it is this
If you're a healthy injury free lifter then you have no need of wraps or any other aid.
If you find that you need wraps to be able to lift a certain weight then that weight is too heavy for your body to manage.

Wrist to weak to hold weight.

Wrap them preventing them from ever getting stronger.

Makes sense??

Wrist to weak to hold weight.

Wrap them preventing them from ever getting stronger.

Makes sense??

As you know Bazza, wraps, tape etc. we're used to protect a weak or injured body part, not to make that part stronger.
So then it got taken to the extreme beyond it's intended purpose.
But if that's what people want to do then go for it.

Wraps, sleeves, suits, shirts, steroids, fuck me it's all gone to shit.

Last edited:
I have got a pair of wrist wraps somewhere. I used them for a while when my wrists were sore, but after a while my wrists felt much better so stopped wearing them.

to be fair, if you have a slight injury and wrist wraps or knee sleeves make you feel good enough to train without pain, why wouldn't you use them.

Last edited:
When holding 2+*bw over my face, the last thing i want is a broken wrist. My grip is maximum lehal widtg and are cocked on a very harsh angle which causes pain. The fuck would i not wear them? Same with squats, at 3+*bw the weakest link in the chain is most likely to get injuted, why would i not prevent injury?

Im baffled as to why people are having a go at otherd for wearing srist wraps, if they reduce the chabce of injury or stop pain, why would you not?

Powerlifting.
Maybe we need wrist wraps, elbow wraps, shoulder wraps. Just wrap the whole body up like a mummy.

Geared powerlifting. I couldn't care less. That circus can do what they want.

Raw is just slowly turning back into a half assed version of geared PL.

The preventing injury line is bullshit. How about strengthen areas to prevent injury and don't lift in a way that causes injury.

I do 90% of my deadlift training with straps
Never missed a deadlift due to grip

0ni's road to the 2014 Sydney GPA Worlds

You know the answer to thst question

Wrist wraps help weak wrists

Straps help weak hands

Wrist wraps prevent wrist injuries

Straps prevent hand injuries

Don't know why powerlifters hate on straps but happy to wrap themselves up from head to toe.

no
advantage of straps is that you can have the bar in your hands loaded heavy with a double overhand grip minimising uneven loading of the back and possibility of biceps tears
Sure, I could learn hook grip, but I'm not going to stunt my deadlift progress while I dick around learning something made completely unnecessary by a bit of tow stap

Simply put, if your hand is not gripping the bar, the ligaments muscles and tendons are not fully engaged.

The wrist is not designed to support weight that way.