• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help me pick a bench.....

Gettingbigger

FINAL THREE SHORTLISTED....please read last post......

Currently the wife and I have a Powertec utility bench. It`s served us well but we need something stronger.

It needs to be flat/incline but not bothered about decline.

It needs to be solid so looking at semi-commercial at the least.

Open to pretty much any suggestion.

Cost wise I am fairly flexible and the wife has said to get a solid one so could even consider hammer strength if anyone has any ideas on price.

Are the pin supported ones any stronger than the bar supported ones?

Looking forward to responses from any make and model and supplier.

Last edited:
I've got the muscle motion super FID bench which I believe is rated to 350kg. Has been really solid for the last few months.

Possible downsides are the width being only 250mm and it's also higher than the standard bench height if that matters to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. bench height is pretty important as I`m a short arse and the wife is even smaller. I`ve tried a 50cm height bench (iron master) and couldn't get on with it sadly.

Ok I think I have put together a shortlist of three benches that I am considering.

Things I have considered with the bench choices.....

1. Fully heavy duty for daily use in the studio
2. Needs to be portable
3. Needs to be adjustable for at least flat and incline (I have a seated upright bench for full upright work) and I am not bothered about decline work.

These are the three I am thinking of....

Ironedge bench. With delivery costs just over $900
http://www.ironedge.com.au/store/iron-edge-flat-incline-bench-ipf-specifications.html#productquestionanchor

Precor Adjustable bench. Not sure on price yet but the site says MSRP is $895
http://www.precor.com/en-au/commercial/products/strength/icarian-strength/benches-and-racks/super-bench-119

And finally the Rogue AB2 bench. Looks very similar to the Precor bench and possibly more heavy duty. Cost though is $1400 bucks.
http://www.rogueaustralia.com/rogue-ab-2-adjustable-bench/

Has anyone used any of these benches and does anyone have any thoughts on them?

The previous iron edge bench was pretty heavy duty, if anything the padding is a bit firm. I haven't used the latest but took a quick look in the shop and it feels generally solid, but
haven't actually used it.

I find my old iron edge bench comparable to gym quality equipment for the limited weight I use (say 220kg incl me)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Cheers mate. They tout it as commercial so I reckon it will be up to the same standard as regular gym ones. Just waiting for a price from precor on their bench and then will make a decision.

Im interested in the precor bench too, any chance you can post up the price or PM me when you get that info?

Got your PM , sorry couldnt reply via PM as I havent logged 10 posts yet? Strange rule...anyway I have been looking at the hammer strength adjustable bench, also was thinking of going to a steel fabricator to see if they can custom build me a flat bench. Let me know how the precor bench goes and how wide is the back pad?

I make competition benches, and they can take very, very heavy loads.

I have time to make something like pictured below, but I don't have time to create something else as I'm midway through my monolift prototype.

hanuvavu.jpg

New bench arrived all well. I love it and will never need another one in our studio again.

Very stable and solid.

t4qs.jpg

73q5.jpg

Powertec one in for comparison....

Nice, reminds me of the Ironmaster super bench

Yeah it is kind of similar but full commercial and lower to the ground. I had an Ironmaster bench for a while and it was a very capable bench but the way the seat worked was weird and it was about 18.5" height which made benching difficult at times

Yeah it is kind of similar but full commercial and lower to the ground. I had an Ironmaster bench for a while and it was a very capable bench but the way the seat worked was weird and it was about 18.5" height which made benching difficult at times

How does does Ironmaster bench compare to the Powertec?

The Ironmaster felt more solid but the height of it put me off as I didn't feel as well grounded as I did with the powertec one.

The Ironmaster one was easier to adjust but the seat always felt a little too low and it was always out at 90 degrees to the back rest which took some getting used to.

If I had to pick between the powertec and Ironmaster benches, it would be the powertec but only by a fraction.

The Ironmaster felt more solid but the height of it put me off as I didn't feel as well grounded as I did with the powertec one.

The Ironmaster one was easier to adjust but the seat always felt a little too low and it was always out at 90 degrees to the back rest which took some getting used to.

If I had to pick between the powertec and Ironmaster benches, it would be the powertec but only by a fraction.

Thanks Gettingbigger, was thinking of getting another bench and was eyeing off those two