• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How important is diet to success?

How important is diet to success?

• 20%

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 40%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60%

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • 80%+

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would say upwards of 60% and could easily be in the 80+ category, but I think most people concentrate on their lifting for the 60 or 80% and diet is what is left over, I know I sometimes fall into this category.

I will prob say 80%.
For the first time I have dialled in on my diet and the changes I am impressed with.
My training is the same only slightly increased my cardio.

Bulgarian weightlifting team crushed shit all through the late 80s and early 90s eating fast food and smoking a pack a day

Don't think you can really put a number on this. You can have the best diet in the world but if your training is shit you're going to be shit. You can out train all sorts of dietary shenanigans, especially if you have all day

I guess you can never fall into training is more important or diet is more important category - you need to have the balance - diet is hugely important but as @Oni; said if training is shit then its not going to matter what the diet is like and vise versa...

The most successful people would be the people that can get diet in order and be consistent with their training at an intense and high level.

I agree with [MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION]; - cant put a number on it - it is that important....without a good diet and without good training you wont succeed.

Lots of newbs make great gains on shitty diets. I did when i began. so I would say 30% as a newb and then 90%+ as you progress.

Both diet and training very proportional to what ones goals are e.g intake of protein carbs fats for what the training stimulous and volume is

Bulgarian weightlifting team crushed shit all through the late 80s and early 90s eating fast food and smoking a pack a day

Don't think you can really put a number on this. You can have the best diet in the world but if your training is shit you're going to be shit. You can out train all sorts of dietary shenanigans, especially if you have all day

Would have to agree with this.

Depending on your goals and genetics, diet could be of no consequence or could be as high as 80% but diet means nothing without serious training.

A lot of people exist and progress despite their diet not because of it.

If your diet is shit, you will be shit.

Dont eat enough? Forget it.

Tim.

Don't agree with this years ago used to have a training partner, his diet was shit plus shit and he was a beast in the gym, he was ripped, lean muscle, abs on abs, definition I could only dream of and he used to smash a 6 pack of beers after the gym and pick up a four piece feed on the way home as a post workout snack, or Burger King or Maccas, out on the piss every week end.

Used to kill me, he was clearly able to out train his shit diet, and was in his mid to late 20's at the time.

So everyone is different, for me diet has always been a large part of it, for other it might count for stuff all.

IMO its the Pareto 80/20 principle. I never got the desired results until my nutrition was in order so I value it highly.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You get those guys that could get up - have no breakfast - go to the gym, have maccas for lunch, pizza for dinner - whatever and they are still lean, gaining size, strength etc - but this is like the 1-2% haha - and this is where alot of fads branch from - you have a very small group of people that do something and yes it works but for the masses - as Donnie Brasco would say "forget about it"

Eat clean, eat healthy, eat smart, train hard - give it your all and shit will happen.

I think it depends on how old you are.
When young diet isn't really important, it's mostly in the training.
As you get older you simply cannot get away with what u used to and start to store more and more fat cells. Have to get stricter and stricter with age so becomes more important as we get older.

Last edited:
I think it's important to define "success" in this context, because different goals will require different degrees of diet discipline..

Wanna be a top bodybuilder? That shit matters.. SHW powerlifter or strongman? Not so much..

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

I think it depends on how old you are.
When young diet isn't really important, it's mostly in the training.
As you get older you simply cannot get away with what u used to and start to store more and more fat cells. Have to get stricter and stricter with age so becomes more important as we get older.

That seems to be the common experience with 95% of men.