• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Newbie here, Interested in bodybuilding/scuplting

S

Stormfromdownunda

Hi All

Im a newbie, who is morbidly obese down 25 kilos to 135 kilos. Starting weight was 160kgs, lost it through low calorie diet counting everything and exercising 4 -5 days a week.

Im very interested in losing weight but also building muscle. Should I keep dropping or try to build or both?

I dont want to be skinny just to be skinny. I want strength and muscles.

I was wondering where I start from here. What would be the best path for me.

I have been told a lot of just nonsense of dont lift weights to lose weight and blah blah and I need real advise from those who live and breathe it every day.

So please teach me. :D

Well done.
A couple of questions for you;

How old are you?
what weight do you want to be?
What's the lightest youve been and how old were you?
Outline youre exercise template that you're using please.

Congrats on the current weight loss, without knowing the information from the the questions Silverback has asked I would say keep doing what you are doing till you get aorund to maybe 100kg or lower and then reasses.

There is no reason why you cant be starting to lift more weights and heavier currently but i would still be looking at dropping weight for a while yet.

Hi

Im 27 about to turn 28,

Not huge on weight I dont want to get obsessed with numbers more on muscle definition and power and lifting capacity, but I just want to fit into at least size 14 clothing roughly though (currently a size 26)

Should I be concerned with having a goal weight ?

Not sure on the lightest weight as I have always been overweight and never weighed myself. However 160kg is my highest weight ever

Exercise:

standard session
- 20 min Interval training on bike / 30 mins rowing
- 5 x 10 squates with 10 kilo bar
- 10 x 10 ab crunch medicine ball throws
- 3 x 30 medicine ball throws against the wall
- 10 x 10 push ups
- 3 x 10 bent row
- 20 mins cross trainer - cool down

Last edited:
OK, good.
I really like what ned has posted.

Keep doing whay you're doing, I believe 100kg is a realistic goal, keep going.

Keep your template, but I'd cut down on the crunches and medicne ball throws and place more effort into the other exercises.

Stick around and please keep us posted.

You're doing real well.

Speaking for myself i have found doing the same set of exercises once a day to be quite beneficial. But i have also found alternating weight training and cardio days to be good too, especially for increasing the metabolism.

Meal plans *can* help, keeping a cap on your caloric intake is great.

I would probably drop the medicine ball crunches in favour of some barbel deadlifts?

Maybe have a think about a cable crossover machine too, and do some bicep curls then some tricep pull downs, quick to change over and should help your arms too

Last edited:
good work so far. just one question are you big all over? or do you carry the weight in one spot?
if it's all over i'd do a full body routine
otherwise id exercise to target the problem areas
and yes goals are very important gives you something to work towards just keep them realistic.

Not sure everyone has noticed this is the female section.

If you still want to lose 50-60kg it will be a while before you start noticing muscles.

You will struggle to build muscle in a calorie deficit but as the fat goes away you're muscles will come out anyway.

good work so far. just one question are you big all over? or do you carry the weight in one spot?
if it's all over i'd do a full body routine
otherwise id exercise to target the problem areas
and yes goals are very important gives you something to work towards just keep them realistic.

Bro science at it's best, it's impossible to target any problem areas, weight gets lost from all over the body.

I have dieted a fair bit, I went from 140kg to 85kg once.

You probably already know sticking to a diet is important. Doing weights will make you a little hungrier, you'll be able to bump up your calories slightly and continue to lose weight (this goes for adding any activity).

As for strength it will go up slowly for a while as you continue to diet, then it will remain at that point for some time - until you finish dieting. Will muscles be very impressive by this point? Not really, but you'll get stronger. Would I do it anyway? So long as it doesn't stop you dieting, and if you'd like to, yes.

I carry weight mainly around the belly and the legs. So should I just lose weight, lift and cardio so by the time I am at goal weight I already have some muscle definition

I also have PCOS so not sure if this affects how I eat\ train

Last edited:
I also have PCOS so not sure if this affects how I eat\ train

Nice work on the weight loss so far. As for PCOS there is some evidence to recommend a low carb ketogenic diet: The effects of a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet on the polycystic ovary syndrome: A pilot study

But like others have said keep doing what is working for now and perhaps look into ketogenic diets later on if you plateau or your current diet becomes too difficult to maintain long term.