• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beef Jerky 101 help

Kranky

Grandpa
I know nothing about beef Jerky except that I like to eat it :)

would like to start making it and would like opinions on dehydrators and recipes

I have looked at a few dehydrators and some state specifically that they can do beef..............does that mean not all dehydrators can do beef ?

Is there a particular cut of meat that is best ?

if you have tips/recipes/recommendations post them up here

I have a pic in the "post up what u r eating " thread from about 2 weeks ago when I made some beef jerky.
I have a sunbeam dehydrater which does the job.

While i havent actually made it myself i have been researching and thinking about doing some jerky for a while as well.

The best cuts of meat to use for jerky are the ones with the lowest fat content, so stuff like blade steak and even bolar beef is apparently good.

but will be following this thread to give it a crack.

I have also heard you can do it in an oven, you have to use the lowest temparature and then "choc" the door open slightly so the moist air can escape. I am thinking about doing this to try first before investing in a dehydrator.

I have a pic in the "post up what u r eating " thread from about 2 weeks ago when I made some beef jerky.
I have a sunbeam dehydrater which does the job.

it was from that thread that got me thinking about this gain Bris

While i havent actually made it myself i have been researching and thinking about doing some jerky for a while as well.

The best cuts of meat to use for jerky are the ones with the lowest fat content, so stuff like blade steak and even bolar beef is apparently good.

but will be following this thread to give it a crack.

I have also heard you can do it in an oven, you have to use the lowest temparature and then "choc" the door open slightly so the moist air can escape. I am thinking about doing this to try first before investing in a dehydrator.

I grow many vegetables including bucketloads of chillies so I am happy to invest in a dehydrator

Did a fair bit of reading on a bbq forum about this, apparently its pretty easy to get food poisoning if you get it wrong, there are special curing mixes you can buy that make it safer. There are some good threads on the AUSBBQ forum (hope [MENTION=1]Admin[/MENTION]; doesn't mind me posting this) I'd hate to see anyone lose their gains because of bad jerky

Thee is nothing to it.

Have a Sunbeam dehydrator, have had it for about 3 years and has a fair bit of use and still going strong.

Buy bulk beef, slice it up, season with what ever you like, dehydrate to a level you like, I prefer it to be very dry some like it more moist.

Recepies can be as simple as:

- salt and pepper.

- garlic salt

I love :

-Salt, pepper, ground coriander

-Paprica, salt, pepper, chilli powder

-Soy sauce (marinate for a few hours)

Just add what you like, they all taste great.

Minute steaks are great for making jerky, and lean beef that's cheap really.

Sometimes I buy Black Angus beef in bulk at about $8-10 per kilo, will make steaks, stir fries and a heap of jerky……love the stuff.

Actually might have to make a batch before xmas, might buy some meat this arvo

nek minut, no fish

hahahah,he was a legend for a while

Thee is nothing to it.

Have a Sunbeam dehydrator, have had it for about 3 years and has a fair bit of use and still going strong.

Buy bulk beef, slice it up, season with what ever you like, dehydrate to a level you like, I prefer it to be very dry some like it more moist.

Recepies can be as simple as:

- salt and pepper.

- garlic salt

I love :

-Salt, pepper, ground coriander

-Paprica, salt, pepper, chilli powder

-Soy sauce (marinate for a few hours)

Just add what you like, they all taste great.

Minute steaks are great for making jerky, and lean beef that's cheap really.

Sometimes I buy Black Angus beef in bulk at about $8-10 per kilo, will make steaks, stir fries and a heap of jerky……love the stuff.

Actually might have to make a batch before xmas, might buy some meat this arvo

thanks Mick

have you used the dehydrator with anything else except beef,I would like to try chillies and tomatoes

No only used it on beef, but it can dehydrate anything, bananas, mango, tomatoes, etc etc

It's a handy thing.

I found that if you do use a sunbeam dehydrator using heat setting number II for 8 hours worked best for me. That was on rump.

Hey mate, I bought a Commercial Dehydrator from Ebay, 12 tray one with the blue trays. Does about 4kg of meat at once, which doesn't go far with the whole family into it. You can dehydrate anything with it, fruit, etc.

Topside meat is the best meat to use for jerky, sometimes you can get the butcher to cut it into slabs for you, 5mm is best, otherwise you have to semi freeze it and cut it yourself.

I use this recipe and it is the bomb

1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

You can buy all your marinades/liquid smokes from Misty Gully Smokehouse - Everything you need to smoke your own food

Hey mate, I bought a Commercial Dehydrator from Ebay, 12 tray one with the blue trays. Does about 4kg of meat at once, which doesn't go far with the whole family into it. You can dehydrate anything with it, fruit, etc.

Topside meat is the best meat to use for jerky, sometimes you can get the butcher to cut it into slabs for you, 5mm is best, otherwise you have to semi freeze it and cut it yourself.

I use this recipe and it is the bomb

1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

You can buy all your marinades/liquid smokes from Misty Gully Smokehouse - Everything you need to smoke your own food

Nice might have to order a few things from these guys.

No only used it on beef, but it can dehydrate anything, bananas, mango, tomatoes, etc etc

It's a handy thing.

Absolutely. I bought a dehydrator on special for $50 from my local kitchen appliance store and its sturdy as. just use mine for bulk beef jerky.

O.P - if you're worried about getting the wrong dehydrator you can always use your oven for the first few times then upgrade when you want that A grade jerky. I like to add a couple of different chilli powders for a bit more of a zing ;)