• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Are athletes built or born?

Is a good athlete simply born with the skill, genetics etc or can you build an "average" person into a good athlete?

genetics is a key factor, but I reckon you can go a long way with hard work and sensible training and nutrition.

Sprinting is one of the those hard ones where you basically need to be quite fast with little work at an early stage, but many other sports require a work horse mentality that can go a long way.

But today sport is so competitive that even a guy like Usain Bolt has to train very hard, so I would say it is both.

Last edited:
I think you can build a average person into a good athlete but you need the genetics and natural ability to be and exceptional athlete.

You can always improve the average joe.
But if you polish a good specimen, genetically gifted for a certain discipline, and good natural mover, would be difficult beat.

In my opinion both.
Saw this video the other day that contained quotes from Dmitry Klokov.
"I was never talented and nobody will call me talented, I am just a workaholic."
"Well, that's the way it is in weightlifting. You are either gifted or you work really hard."
In Klokov we trust - YouTube

I think you can build a average person into a good athlete but you need the genetics and natural ability to be and exceptional athlete.

Sorry neddy, didn't see your post somehow, it's exactly what I was trying to mumble in my mentally challenged capacity, great minds think alike eh?

Depends on your sport as well I think. Different types (muscle types, body types, heights etc) are going to be more suscessful at certain sports. If you are 5ft 8" and you want to take up rowing I don't think it matters how hard you work you won't be competitive at the sport

Both I think, genetics, training, the environment you were brought up into.
If your parents were into a certain sport, like some afl players drafted under the father son rule.. the abletts spring to mind for example.

Last edited:
born in my opinion

my older brother and I are both great at sports while the younger is horrid, we all train the same.

In the end, does not matter. Pick a sport you enjoy and train. Talent and/or dedication will take café of itself in the form of results.

The way I see things your genetics determine your potential ability and hard work determines how close you get to that potential, so in the middle ground there will be a bit of a mix but at the elite level it's really only the genetically gifted that he there.

As a practical example how many short guys do you see competing in the NBA. Probably less than a handful in the past 20 years and basketball is a sport that's popular with a large pool of athletes to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk