• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Got some keto stix no ketones in urine yet after 10 days.

Mate you are doing something wrong there is no way on this planet that you been eating zero carbs for 10 days any you are not putting out Ketones in your urine.

You should generally be starting to show ketones after 2-3 days, and well into it by day 5, and probably keto adapted by day 10.

Your body should be burning fat for energy by now, if not you have been eating too many carbs, possibly hidden carbs. On another point I remember you posting somewhere (I might be wrong on this as I am going off my memory) that your BF is still quite high, CBL is not really any good until you are really quite lean, if you have more than 15-20% body fat Carb Nite is probably the go till body fat drops and then change to CBL.

Carb Nite you basically do ultra low carbs for 10 days, then have a carb nite, then back on ultra low carbs for 5-7 days from memory before repeating with another carb nite, etc etc repeat till lean enough for CBL.

Mate you are doing something wrong there is no way on this planet that you been eating zero carbs for 10 days any you are not putting out Ketones in your urine.

You should generally be starting to show ketones after 2-3 days, and well into it by day 5, and probably keto adapted by day 10.

Your body should be burning fat for energy by now, if not you have been eating too many carbs, possibly hidden carbs. On another point I remember you posting somewhere (I might be wrong on this as I am going off my memory) that your BF is still quite high, CBL is not really any good until you are really quite lean, if you have more than 15-20% body fat Carb Nite is probably the go till body fat drops and then change to CBL.

Carb Nite you basically do ultra low carbs for 10 days, then have a carb nite, then back on ultra low carbs for 5-7 days from memory before repeating with another carb nite, etc etc repeat till lean enough for CBL.

Did some reading and apparently if protein intake is too high it gets converted to glycogen and you don't enter ketosis - I would bet this was my issue. I was definitely having zero carbs, unless there's carbs in Bulk Nutrients protein powder (which I only had 2 scoops of daily). I am betting there wasn't.

Wish I'd read about it before, the problem is I was on 2000 calories for part of the time (pretty low cals for me), about 275/10/90 protein/carbs/fat. Perhaps by lowering the protein and upping the fats I would have entered ketosis.

My bodyfat is low(ish), around 13%, I was dexa tested at 15% but since then I've lost 2kg.

I think eating sugar as your carb-up would be a bad idea here.
You'll be slightly dehydrated post training, then you eat a load of sugar and get a big hit of insulin. But you're dehydrated, then go to sleep and dehydrate more, it's just going to sit in your small intestine all night and the insulin spike will not go down- great recipe for the beetus

I think potatoes would be a better option, plus 160 you get to eat a kilo of them. Or 14 tim-tams...

Pretty sure that starches refill muscle glycogen better than sugars as well. I'll need to look this up. Don't worry about this insulin/gh pulse broscience. Focus on making yourself insulin sensitive instead, if this makes sense. Keifer constantly contradicts himself in the entire book lol.

Staying carb sensitive - can this be achieved by having small amounts of low gi carbs up until your workout?

I will probably have to give carb backloading the flick, until I have carbs I have the attention span of a 5 year old on red cordial (or maybe a tired 5 year old ready for bed time would be more accurate).

Staying carb sensitive - can this be achieved by having small amounts of low gi carbs up until your workout?

I will probably have to give carb backloading the flick, until I have carbs I have the attention span of a 5 year old on red cordial (or maybe a tired 5 year old ready for bed time would be more accurate).

Potatoes would be ideal

Natural Hormone Enhancement Diet Plan Crib Sheet
03/26/2005

Structure
Has a 7-Day induction period, then a 3 Day/4 Day cycle.
Begins with a 10-day cycle before your first carb load.

Induction phase
7 days, no more than 20g of active carbs a day. Eat mostly meats
If vegitarian or vegan, can be done eating mostly soy, but check for carbs on packaging.

Focus on eating:
meats:
steak, fish, shrimp, lobster, chicken, ribs, and eggs, cheese (cottage/ricotta)
no sweet sauces - e.g. no barbeque sauce
moderate consumption (1 serving a day) of high fiber/high water weight vegatables:
cabbage, celery, broccoli, lettuce, carrots, spinach, onions, garlic, asparagus, radicchio,
mushrooms, cucumbers, cauliflower, peppers, and radishes.
avoid:
other fruits/vegatibles
bread
drinks with calories
nuts
Things are cooking by day 4 if you manage this - cravings should emerge/resolve about this time.
Make sure to eat PLENTY of protein, and eating more often will help cravings.
Do ensure you eat the fibrous veggies every day, for bowel help dealing with all that meat.
Dink an insane amount of water a day - at least 2 liters, and 2 liters for every hour you exercise if you do.
Active Carb amount is defined as the amount of carbs that remain after you subtract grams of Fiber from the Total
grams of carbs. With engineered foods the sugar alcohol grams can sometimes be subtracted too, but reliance on this
can cause digestive "acceleration".
After you get through this 7 day period begin the 3-Day then 4-Day cycling.
Macronutrient cycling
3/4 Day cycling of the following phase, eating 4 meals daily (or 5).
Daily
30-60 grams of active carbs, no more than 25 grams at any one meal.
15-50 grams of protein per meal, no upper limit.
Moderate consumption of fats
minimize transfatty acids to zero
favor omega-3's over saturated fats.
Last day of cycle
First 2 or 3 meals, same rules as above
Last 1 or 2 meals:
>70% Starchy Carbs, no upper limit.
Over 60gr carbs for Men,
Over 40gr carbs for Women
If you wanna eat 200gr of carbs, go ahead.
Less than 20g Fat
Less than 20 g Protein
Final Cycle Meal notes:
-------------------------------
If you like to really pig out on carbs, do this as the last meal of a 4 meal day.
If you like eating more, smaller meals, split the gram amounts above amount above over the last two meals of a 5 mealday. Don't drink tons of water right around this big carb meal - will knock you out and expand your belly. Do minimize
the fats and proteins, but don't worry too much about proteins in complex starches like wheat pasta.
Eating Strategy:
Use 5 rules to keep you eating the right way:
1. Daily and Per-Meal Carbohydrate Gram Limits (above)
2. Thermogenesis*
3. Protein Opimization/Meal Frequency (meet minimums, and eat 5 times a day if you need to)
4. Using Dietary Fats to Burn Bodyfat (meet minimums!)
5. Favoring Starchy Carbs over Sugary Carbs (no soda or froyo, bub)
*Thermogenisis
- getting you body to work harder when digesting food, raise metabolism
- means choosing foods that are higher in fiber and water content
- drinking tons of water
- choose meats that are leaner (but don't forsake your fat minimums!) or tofu over richer meats.
Freebies
Can be eaten pretty much any time, in unlimited quantity during the 3/4 cycling (due to high thermogenic/carbohydrate
ratio):
HIFWAC Fruits (high-fiber, high-water-content) and starchy veggies:
Apples, Apricots, Blueberries, Cherrries, Grapes, Peaches, Rasperries, Strawberries
Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Celery, Lettuce, Mushroom, Radicchio, Radish, Spinach
Avoid lower water content, lower fiber content fruits:
Bananas, Dates, Dried Fruit, Figs, Raisins, Watermelon
What to expect:
Wight-loss will be fastest in the first 10 days, as you will lose all stored carbs (and the water carried to metabolize it).
Cravings may emerge in the first 3-4 days, but should resolve in a few days at most.
Once you have lost all the weight you want you can go to a 3/3 or 2/3 or even 1/1 day cycle. You will have a good
sense of which one works - go down to each cycle for a couple of weeks and see how your body reacts. You will have
direct understanding of carbs, energy levels, and fat gain by then.

Looks like a good diet, thanks Oni. A bit easier to do than carb backloading I'd expect.

There sure are a lot of conflicting opinions on the ideal diet right now. Hard to know what to believe, I'll keep trialling carb backloading for a couple of weeks (only way to know for me, really) but I anticipate switching.

Did some reading and apparently if protein intake is too high it gets converted to glycogen and you don't enter ketosis - I would bet this was my issue. I was definitely having zero carbs, unless there's carbs in Bulk Nutrients protein powder (which I only had 2 scoops of daily). I am betting there wasn't.

Wish I'd read about it before, the problem is I was on 2000 calories for part of the time (pretty low cals for me), about 275/10/90 protein/carbs/fat. Perhaps by lowering the protein and upping the fats I would have entered ketosis.

My bodyfat is low(ish), around 13%, I was dexa tested at 15% but since then I've lost 2kg.

Ok at that body fat level you should be right with CBL, what have you been eating for protein sources?? Looking at the above I think you fat intake has been too low, and I think you been overanalysing things. Just eat fatty cuts of meat, use plenty of olive oil on your salads, cook veggies in butter, etc etc no good having low fat proteins when trying to get into ketosis. I remember years ago reading an old body builder diet where it was recommended to drink half a litre of olive oil throughout the day when aiming for ketosis.

Seriously, just have sensible eating habits for fucks sake rather than chasing the latest diet or the latest program.

Could cut the jealousy on this forum with a knife...

It's not even the diet I'm on lol, I've not changed it since October, just lowered fats to lower my caloric intake as I got leaner

To me carb cycling is when we ride to Leo's spagetti bar, smash a pasta and ride home.

Fuck this chit. Turning me into a raging maniac. Feeling soooo tired.

Carb Cycling...is it an effective fat loss formula if your diet and training is dialled in?

I don't know a great deal about it or the full science. But my understanding is you would have a low carb day or maybe two and then a higher carb day.

I am 84 kg and having 2600calories a day. I have dropped calories by 2400 per week which came from sugary drinks and booze. I have increased cardio to 2 x45min spin classes per week and I am weight training 3 times per week.

I am leaning out with diet and training so far but would carb cycling speed things up?
If so what would be a recommended low carb day and high carb day intake?

At the moment I would be consuming between 180 to 220 grams of carbs depending on the day.
Has carb cycling been effective for you or not?

Cheers

Good on you for making changes that are working well for you.

I don't have the foggiest idea about a lot about it or the full science, yet my comprehension is you would have a low carb day or perhaps two and after that a higher carb day, i am 84 kg and having 2600 calories per day, i have dropped calories by 2400 every week which originated from sugary beverages and alcohol, i have expanded cardio to 2 x45min turn classes for each week and i am weight preparing 3 times for every week....

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards