• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The true measure of performance

which is the truest measure of strength and power for an athlete or sportsperson

• Squat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Power Clean

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Snatch

• Deadlift

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Bench Press

• Overhead Press

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Clean and strict/push press? ( not clean and jerk )

Squat?

Depends on the sport but I remember Markos from PTC saying a fair while back that he personally used to always consider the clean and strict/push press a true measure of strength, takes strength in every aspect to be able to clean and press a big number overhead.

I would definitely agree with Shrek, there is no way you can "cheat" with a deadlift, your either going to lock it out or you are not.. even hitching it up still requires the lock out.

Stupid question
Truest measure of performance is the event they are competing in

Yeah, agree, depends what u r training 4.
Line up 20 average kunce, to see who is strongest, get en to DL, this will
Separate the men from the boys.

every athlete will have different strength and power deficits, leverages and so on
powerlifter? truest measure is the total
sprinter? 100m...

of lifts outside specific weight sports being trained for, I would say some sort of olympic lift, say power clean and push press. I say this on principle that speed is king in terms of training for most power sports, not grinding strength movements.

Problem is skill levels so important. Also some people do power cleans strict, whereas others do wide split.

Having said that, I once measured a champion Aust bb with a 90cm standing vertical, no Olympic lifting background at all, although he could and occasionally did up to 700 jump squats in a row with bodyweight (his claim).

I prefer an overhead shot put as an expression of pure power, with athletes using weights as conditioning. for bodyweight power, standing long or vertical.

Last edited:
Its so hard to judge as every athlete is different, they train for different things etc etc etc - If I was going to say one purely from a brute strength point of view I think I would have to go Deadlift - but you could argue something for all the lifts.

Lift wise...the Deadlift

But I am in total agreeance with 0ni on this one.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

bazza, have you ever done a standing vertical test?

My best was 75cm, 2.90m standing long.

I'll have to have a look, I think I have numbers on my old computer. I used to be ok at high jump and long jump at school.

I think at footy training tests had results similar to your numbers.