• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The true measure of performance

which is the truest measure of strength and power for an athlete or sportsperson

• Squat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Power Clean

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Snatch

• Deadlift

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Bench Press

• Overhead Press

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think INCREASE in deadlift and vert is a good indicator
But not absolute result.
If a guy takes his vert from 30-40", this is a serious, serious athlete

What about the pull up, heaps of phat fucks dead lifting and squatting big numbers bet they can't pull their fat ass up over a bar

What about the pull up, heaps of phat fucks dead lifting and squatting big numbers bet they can't pull their fat ass up over a bar

So you would say the 50kg kid that can do pullups until the cows come home, but barely pull his dick past horizontal, stronger than the fat fucker who can pull 200 but couldn't do a pullup without a forklift to assist?

I personally would say deadlift is the best test of "absolute strength".. Although I do also agree with 0ni and co regarding performance measures being sport specific

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

So you would say the 50kg kid that can do pullups until the cows come home, but barely pull his dick past horizontal, stronger than the fat fucker who can pull 200 but couldn't do a pullup without a forklift to assist?

I personally would say deadlift is the best test of "absolute strength".. Although I do also agree with 0ni and co regarding performance measures being sport specific

For sports were you have to run around pull ups are a good test of relative strength. If you cant do pull-ups you are too fat, weak or both.

Agree entirely baz.. As far as relative strength goes I don't think there's any better test than the pullup

My coach is 145kg and can do 6 strict pull ups, if you can't do them you are weak.

clean and push press/jerk, for athletic strength i think it's the best measure, need speed, strength, technique and agility.

I agree with last few posts.

However, I remember hearing years ago that Rick Mitchell, silver medallist in OG 1980 400m, could only do 2 or 3 chin-ups.

if true, just shows how specific sport can be, even at elite level.

I think a good well rounded course of exercises will improve a players the level of strength, but more importantly reduce the likelyhood of recieving an injury in training and game day.
increasing the strength of an athlete in the gym will not make them a better player to their specific sport.
It's almost impossible to measure power.
One example could be a man that squats 1.5 times his bodyweight for twenty rep's could have amazing ability to squat, but have weak quad strength.
another example, the bench press had been the measure of strength for many years and still is for many sporting codes, but that ability to bench large numbers seldom relates to the players ability on the field.

yes, sb, that is why power test should always be basic to reflect multitude of training programs.

Even then, they often don't mean much.

However, Calvin Johnson, incredible power and incredible athlete (3.5m standing long) and 195cm and 110kg. I suppose freaks have both: great specific skills and great athletic and strength power.

I've stated this previously, that, all things being equal, a skilled boxer will more often than not beat a "stronger" boxer with less skill.

Again, "stronger" is difficult to measure, unless you have tools to isolate muscles to test isometrically at certain points of the muscles ROM.

Last edited:
yes, but all fair dinkum sports must and do strive for some effective power tests measures.

big three tests for me if I was a sports coach, outside specific lifts or sports, would be overhead shot for pure power regardless of bodyweight, and standing long and/or standing vertical.

yes, but all fair dinkum sports must and do strive for some effective power tests measures.

big three tests for me if I was a sports coach, outside specific lifts or sports, would be overhead shot for pure power regardless of bodyweight, and standing long and/or standing vertical.

Yeah, "effective" is the key word.

at the moment, all we have is what's called "progressive resistance".

Squatting 100kg x 10
if that player is squatting 150 x 10 three months down the track, you would think that player is stronger, flexible and ultimatly more mobile, which, at the end of the day is what is wanted...to be able to extract the raw material, to make better the player in the given sport, in training and ultimatly game day?

But first, the skill must be there to start with.

Just my thoughts.