• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I never got much out of dumbell flyes but a lot of people rate them, I might give them a go again.

yeah, they can be a bit hit and miss, noticed its all in the squeeze and flex at the top end of the movement that can change these from shit to good.

Chest db fly's: shoulders hate them. Cable machine is fine. Bench press does nothing for my chest however
Back (upper) heavy power shrugs: form is hard to perfect and do safely
Back (lower)
Shoulders
Thighs (quad)
Thighs (ham's)
Biceps
Triceps

No real issues with any others.

Bench Press - useless exercise for conditioning.

it achieves nothing, other than a good bench press. I would go so far as to say it is probably even detrimental to the development of overall functional strength.

Bench Press - useless exercise for conditioning.

it achieves nothing, other than a good bench press. I would go so far as to say it is probably even detrimental to the development of overall functional strength.

:eek: :eek:
Wudyoutalkinbout Willis?
U sayn bench is shit?

:eek: :eek:
Wudyoutalkinbout Willis?
U sayn bench is shit?

Completely. I can stop benching altogether and do nothing but weighted dips and press behind neck and my bench will still be the same after a year.

Did this many years ago. Had 160kg bench at the time, a year later still had a 160kg bench without having benched for a year.

However If I stop squatting for just two months I lose strength all over, lose muscle mass and start growing a vag.

Bench also ruins the Olympic lifts - the bar ends up going way too far forward. At least that's my excuse for sucking at oly lifts.

That's it!
I'm telling my mum! :mad:

Bench is your full forward push, hard to build a decent chest without it.

I found getting better at bench made my overhead press bad for a while, but it was just caused by not stretching. I was locking out the bar too far in front. After a lot of stretching work I can lock out behind the head fine again.

How can being good at bench be detrimental to other lifts? I would have thought not doing your other lifts at all make them suck...

How can being good at bench be detrimental to other lifts? I would have thought not doing your other lifts at all make them suck...

You got to have healthy shoulders to bench press.

I think (earlier on)a lot of us possibly spent too much time doing weekly combinations of this?

Leg extension
leg press
pec dec
bench press and variations of...
seated press
wide grip pulldowns
half hearted marathon rep's of curls
tricep pushdowns

It was more a lack of stretching for me, but if you do a lot of bench and don't do a good 'cat stretch' or something you will find it impossible to lock out an overhead press behind your head - you will want to press and sort of hold it out in front of you. I even started to flare my shoulders when doing the overhead press to compensate for this, which gave me additional issues (really bad for me, much better if I keep my elbows out in front on OHP).
Here's a cat stretch:
Cat stretch in General Stretches Category

Last edited:
Chest Pec Dec, just never felt right.
Back (upper) Lat Pulldowns, as above. Ive always loved and got good results from chins anyway
Back (lower) some of the pilates shit I did after my back op. No good for me anyway
Shoulders Anything in a machine
Thighs (quad) Leg extensions
Thighs (ham's)
Biceps
Preacher or concentration curls always felt awkward
Triceps Close Grip Bench. I always felt it more in my elbows than anything! lol

Barbell Bench Press -- While I train this regularly for max strength, from a bodybuilding perspective it doesn't do much at all for my chest compared to other exercises (especially DB variations).

Pendlay Rows -- When I do them they typically just become glorified flailing about. It takes way more focus than I'm convinced they're worth to actually load up my lats, traps and rhomboids with these.

Chin Ups -- They make my shoulder joints crunch and grind throughout the whole movement. Pull ups and lat pull downs are fine, though.

Lateral Raises -- Like chin ups, they make my shoulders crunch and grind. Upright rows are fine, though.

Lunges -- My ankles don't like them, my knees don't like them, my glutes fall into a coma during them (so much for them supposedly being a glute exercise), and all the other stuff going on makes it hard for me to actually come even remotely close to overloading my quads with them.

Couldn't think of anything for hamstrings or biceps.

Dips -- Shoulders no likey.

Last edited:
Chest Pec Deck
Back (upper) Lat Pulldown
Shoulders Machine Press
Thighs (quad) Leg Extension
Thighs (hams) Romanian Deadlift
Biceps
Concentration Curl
Triceps Close Grip Bench Press

Similar to taurus' list. All of those either suck, feel all kinds of wrong, or are just retarded anyway. And yet, someone could in theory get strong as fuck doing all those, I know.

Chest - Flyes - cable crossovers - pec dec - give a bit of a pump but I'm unconvinced they build any muscle
Back (upper) - lat pulldowns - same as flyes
Shoulders - front and side raises - rear ones seem to be ok as its kinda hard to work that rear delt, but you'd be better pressing than the other two
Thighs (quad) - smith machine squats - leg extensions -
Thighs (ham's) - good mornings - work but very hard to do correctly - leg curls are good if the machine is good, but often its not

Barbell Bench Press -- While I train this regularly for max strength, from a bodybuilding perspective it doesn't do much at all for my chest compared to other exercises (especially DB variations).

Pendlay Rows -- When I do them they typically just become glorified flailing about. It takes way more focus than I'm convinced they're worth to actually load up my lats, traps and rhomboids with these.

Chin Ups -- They make my shoulder joints crunch and grind throughout the whole movement. Pull ups and lat pull downs are fine, though.

Lateral Raises -- Like chin ups, they make my shoulders crunch and grind. Upright rows are fine, though.

Lunges -- My ankles don't like them, my knees don't like them, my glutes fall into a coma during them (so much for them supposedly being a glute exercise), and all the other stuff going on makes it hard for me to actually come even remotely close to overloading my quads with them.

Couldn't think of anything for hamstrings or biceps.

Dips -- Shoulders no likey.

I've noticed that if I don't actively rotate my shoulders back and down so they are locked in, it crunches on lat raises.

Preacher curls- Ulna nerve disaster

Bench press- never felt natural, does jack for my build and stuffs my shoulders, much rather dumbbell work.

Your worst exercises, the ones that give you grief, or you recieve nothing at all from them.

Chest - Inc Bench. Hurts my shoulders
Back (upper) - Low reps barbell row
Back (lower) - None
Shoulders - BB upright row. Cables are fine
Thighs (quad) - Hack squat macine. Always hurt my knees
Thighs (ham's) - Stiffies. Stupid doms from the stretch.
Biceps - Machine curls
Triceps - kickbacks. Doesn't feel right