• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Skinnyfat - bulk or lean muscle gain?

Yeah your dietary practices are not something I can take issue with
But I still hold true to my original sentiment, if body recomposition is your goal there are better choices than processed foods. For absolute weight gain they are almost perfect really but not at 20% body fat lol. I've found cutting out the dairy has helped a lot, although I still cook in ghee and butter as there is really no difference between that and any other saturated fat based oil lol

I'd recommend getting rid of the fat first
metabolically, you're in a much better position and will still gain some muscle if protein is high
the opposite isn't really true. You can gain muscle faster than fat for sure, lowering your body fat percentage but it's a slow process best left for when you're leaner and can get away with more shenanigans for sure

I'd recommend getting rid of the fat first
metabolically, you're in a much better position and will still gain some muscle if protein is high
the opposite isn't really true. You can gain muscle faster than fat for sure, lowering your body fat percentage but it's a slow process best left for when you're leaner and can get away with more shenanigans for sure

I've read this 3 times and yet it still makes no sense. :confused:

I'd recommend getting rid of the fat first.

Metabolically, you're in a much better position and will still gain some muscle if protein is high.

The opposite isn't really true.

You can gain muscle faster than fat for sure lowering your body fat percentage, but it's a slow process best left for when you're leaner and can get away with more shenanigans for sure

*Loose fat first
*get busy, Lift weight
*Eat *well
*sleep
*Add muscle tissue
*Add Minimal fat
*Shenanigans

*well for you! you should know what to do here! it's your body.

Last edited:
I've read this 3 times and yet it still makes no sense. :confused:

you gain fat faster when you're fat already
so get lean first
then focus on getting bigger
you'll still gain muscle mass at first dieting down if protein is high

so get lean first

Agreed people can get stronger and build whilst in deficit if your a bigger/fatter person

so get lean first

Thanks for the tip, guess ill be in a calorie defecit for awhile then

Yeah like others have said, lean up first, then go full bore into your mass and strength quest. and no need to ever get over 15% bf again that's a good cut off point

How much calorie deficit should I be looking at? At the moment I'm eating at around 2600 calories currently gaining approx 200 grams lean plus 100 grams fat per week. Thinking I should continue this until I plateau then saying stripping off the fat? Mind you I've only started weight training just over a month ago.

Last edited:
If you're gaining muscle faster than fat, you're getting leaner and I really wouldn't change anything
If you're bullshitting and getting fatter, then you have two options:

Take calories down 250 at a time and re-evaluate each week
Do a drastic cut, keeping protein as high as possible

Didn't see it like that (getting leaner). At 22% BF I still consider myself getting fatter by 100 grams a week. At least it's staying at 22% whilst I gain lean muscle which is good. At least I'm gaining more muscle than fat at the mo. Will continue with this program until I reach plateau then will start the cut cycle. Cheers and thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're gaining muscle faster than fat, you're getting leaner and I really wouldn't change anything

This is wrong. You have to be gaining fat at a rate, percentage wise, less than your current body fat percentage. Not just gaining more muscle than fat.

So officially I'm starting a cutting cycle now as part of my new year's resolution of getting down to 15% bf. Wasn't happy with the fact that I've creep up to 23.3% now at 76.5 kgs. I still feel skinny but still have that huge stomach fat. It seems the consensus is that it's get better at keeping lean if I bring down the bf %, so here goes....will keep you posted on how I go.

Cheers and Happy New Years!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk