• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Man Almost Snaps Neck During Bench Press!

what is the reason for suicide grip? never used it or spoken to anyone who has..

probably should of read the thread!

Last edited:
Was it the spleen? Or every single organ in him?

Don't know... if you check the slow motion shots in some of the other vids the bar stops going down like about 1 inch from the bench I reckon... Would of snapped the shit out of everything in his chest...

From memory didn't even make it to the ambulance... He dies shortly after the incident...

Don't know... if you check the slow motion shots in some of the other vids the bar stops going down like about 1 inch from the bench I reckon... Would of snapped the shit out of everything in his chest...

From memory didn't even make it to the ambulance... He dies shortly after the incident...

Its a wonder he was able to sit up after the bar fell on him.
I was quite surprised to see him having a drink... would it be the shock and adrenaline that got him to sit up?

ive tried suicide grip and like it but the price of dropping the bar is too high. you only need 30-40kg to land on your face...

By suicide grip do you mean the bar fits on the heel of your palm andcthexweight is transferred vertically down the forearm?
If so I have used this for 15 years after having sore wrists for the first 6 months of gyming.

I only bench 140 on flat, decline, incline but have never felt unsafe or the bar move. I take any weight seriously and treat lifting with care and safety.

Suicide grip is banned in my gym.

Offers no advantage, only risk.

I'm almost certain that the guy from the vid that Ink posted died later that night.
That was a PL comp from last year I believe.

I'm almost certain that the guy from the vid that Ink posted died later that night.

Your right Scott, he died from internal injuries on the way to the hospital.

Did I read its not allowed in GPC comps as well now?

I use suicide grip for overhead press, less risky I s'pose, as if you drop it it'll fall right in front of you rather than into your organs. Way better to execute overhead press with suicide grip, I've found.

^^ Same but OHP is a much different lift, there is still a risk of the bar slipping and hitting you in the head but because you arent moving enormous weight overhead ( unless your an oly lifter i spose ) you would probably bail and throw the bar forward if you started to struggle in most cases before your grip on the bar ever failed you.

^^ Same but OHP is a much different lift, there is still a risk of the bar slipping and hitting you in the head but because you arent moving enormous weight overhead ( unless your an oly lifter i spose ) you would probably bail and throw the bar forward if you started to struggle in most cases before your grip on the bar ever failed you.

Yep. Like it for OH here too.