• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Great meta analysis done on the anabolic window

0ni

Registered Rustler
http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-53.pdf

Free full paper! Cliff notes:
In conclusion, current evidence does not appear to support the claim that immediate (≤ 1 hour) consumption of protein pre- and/or post-workout significantly enhances strength- or hypertrophic-related adaptations to resistance exercise. The results of this meta-analysis indicate that if a peri-workout anabolic window of opportunity does in fact exist, the window for protein consumption would appear to be greater than one-hour before and after a resistance training session. Any positive effects noted in timing studies were found to be due to an increased protein intake rather than the temporal aspects of consumption, but a lack of matched studies makes it difficult to draw firm conclusions in this regard. The fact that protein consumption in non-supplemented subjects was below generally recommended intake for those involved in resistance training lends credence to this finding. Since causality cannot be directly drawn from our analysis, however, we must acknowledge the possibility that protein timing was in fact responsible for producing a positive effect and that the associated increase in protein intake is merely coincidental. Future research should seek to control for protein intake so that the true value regarding nutrient timing can be properly evaluated. Particular focus should be placed on carrying out these studies with well-trained subjects to better determine whether resistance training experience plays a role in the response.

A recent review by Aragon and Schoenfeld [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23134885] postulated that the anabolic window of opportunity may be as long as 4–6 hours around a training session, depending on the size and composition of the meal.

Unfortunately insulin sensitivity wasn't touched on, which is a shame

[MENTION 8583]nazzysmith[/MENTION]; hmm the difference, I was wrong

Nah Brutha you were not wrong...

Just brain washed by all the BS pushed out by supplement companies...

Must have protein shake immediately or else lose all your gainz... Bought to you by your friendly sup manufacturer...

Fact is meal timing is irrelevant... Find eating style that suits you and match macros intake to goal...

Nothing wrong with chugging a protein shake straight after the gym....

I wouldn't say it's "irrelevant", it's just overblown.
Still shows good evidence to eat the majority of your calories post training. I also think that sooner = better but it's as simple as having a small meal in your stomach before you train. I didn't notice anything with drinking BCAAs during my training session but they were free. Milk protein shake + leucine pre-training though I did notice a very big difference indeed but I was training fasted at 5pm at the time.

Eating a small lunch I notice a difference in my training and recovery. If this isn't "timing" then I don't know what is to be honest

I wouldn't say it's "irrelevant", it's just overblown.
Still shows good evidence to eat the majority of your calories post training. I also think that sooner = better but it's as simple as having a small meal in your stomach before you train. I didn't notice anything with drinking BCAAs during my training session but they were free. Milk protein shake + leucine pre-training though I did notice a very big difference indeed but I was training fasted at 5pm at the time.

Eating a small lunch I notice a difference in my training and recovery. If this isn't "timing" then I don't know what is to be honest

Relates to personal choice and what makes you feel better...

No significant effect to body composition...

I disagree there, I noticed massive body composition changes spreading my protein through the day and eating the bulk of my calories post training. This is evidenced in my log. And I was gradually eating less and less yet still getting great changes as I tweaked it (though this caught up with me, haha)

Comes in line with medical studies that show you absorb more of a nutrient if you eat it in small amounts than large amounts as well. Body only has so many enzymes it can use, that's my suspicion personally. Another reason why GOMAD is so fucking terrible

0ninutrients7 said:
I disagrwe there, I noticed massive body composinges spreading my protein through the day and eating the bulk of my calories post training. This is evidenced in my log. And I was gradually eating less and less yet still getting great changes as I tweaked it (though this caught up with me, haha)

Comes in line with medical studies that show you absorb more of a nutrient if you eat it in small amounts than large amounts as well. Body only has so many enzymes it can use, that's my suspicion personally. Another reason why GOMAD is so fucking terrible

lol... Correlation vs causation...

Every morning when I wake up the sun rises.. therefore the sun rises beacause I get up...

That has to be one of the most retarded things I've heard on this forum.
My macros and training remained exactly the same. I reduced my overall calories yet ate them all in one go and got BIGGER while leaning out a little.

Are you familiar with Occam's razor?

I'm disappointed really nazzy, you're usually a quality poster.
The simplest possible explanation that accounts for all variables is likely the correct explanation

So either the small change I made was a beneficial one, or I am taking androgenic steroids and not telling anyone. Anyway, back on topic

I'm disappointed really're usualky a quality posteR sduff possible explanation that accounts for all variables is likely the correct explanation

So either the small change I made was a beneficial one, or I am taking androgenic steroids and not telling anyone. Anyway, back on topic

No mate cause this one has been done to death by many much smarter then me...

Nutrient timing has zero correlation to body composition...

However individuals will have preferences on timing of meals and how they feel...

Just because you experience those effects does not prove your diet protocol is the cause...

You could have done any number of different things and got the same effect... Provided calorie intake macros and rest was intact...

That has to be one of the most retarded things I've heard on this forum.
My macros and training remained exactly the same. I reduced my overall calories yet ate them all in one go and got BIGGER while leaning out a little.

Are you familiar with Occam's razor?

Yeah the simplest answer is the most likely or a variation on that.

In this case going by occcams razor it is most likely Oni is talking out his arse once again.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm clearly a genetic anomaly. lmao
Nazzy, Aragon himself said in the study there is a 4-6 hour post training "anabolic window". The metastudy linked above shows this quite clearly.
Where is the evidence you're speaking about that says there is no correlation?

Nazzy, Aragon himself said in the study there is a 4-6 hour post training "anabolic window". The metastudy linked above shows this quite clearly.

4-6 hours. I'm fine with that.

Weren't you talking about getting something in as soon as you finish training a few days ago. Things have changed again it seems.

Read your own posts Oni. You change your recommendations every day.

No I don't bazza, I've stayed on the same diet since I started keto. Only number of calories has changed
Seeing as your completely lack logic, I'll explain it for you once only. You want to get your food in as soon as possible because as Aragon said (if you had bothered to read the study) you're very insulin sensitive during this time. How long does food take to digest again? Yeah several hours.

You're such a miserable, passive aggressive little bitch. It's 10,000 types of hilarious how you constantly try to undermine me lmao. Not even going to bother replying to you any more, I don't even care if you happen across something that is legitimate

I like Alan Aragon.. his work is solid!!!

I like Alan Aragon.. his work is solid!!!

If you have the time, read the full study that I linked in the first post and check out the references. Lots of good info there. Don't mean the main study but the one citation in it that I felt necessary to post up

No I don't bazza, I've stayed on the same diet since I started keto. Only number of calories has changed
Seeing as your completely lack logic, I'll explain it for you once only. You want to get your food in as soon as possible because as Aragon said (if you had bothered to read the study) you're very insulin sensitive during this time. How long does food take to digest again? Yeah several hours.

You're such a miserable, passive aggressive little bitch. It's 10,000 types of hilarious how you constantly try to undermine me lmao. Not even going to bother replying to you any more, I don't even care if you happen across something that is legitimate

Alan's articles he talks about nutrient timing being insignificant and what suits you is best.

Read your own posts. You change your tune each day. It's like a different person posting.

I lack logic. Says the person that cant understand correlation / causation concept.

If you have eaten a meal with hours of training it will still be digesting therefore post workout window is not really relevant anymore.

Oh I'm a little bitch. Lol. You have been tollin people here for years then have a sook as soon as anything comes back at ya.

Not going to reply anymore. What that's like the tenth time you have said that this week.