• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training for log press sans log

0ni

Registered Rustler
Strongmen, get in here.
I really want to get more involved in strongman but don't have access to a log. Yeah yeah, I can make one or buy one but that isn't an option right now.

My current plan of attack is just to get all kinds of pressing as strong as fucking possible while really working on that initial drive. So lots of jump squats, front squats, btn push presses, close grip bench, floor press, high incline bench and reverse grip inclines. I don't get on too well with strict pressing from the front for some reason- I advance much faster on other exercises.

I just want to hear a load of ideas really, the crazier the better as crazy works well for me. Getting the log into position for me seems kinda hard, I really need to drop down and front squat that thing up because of my leverages. Maybe zerchers will help a lot with this, I've never really tried them.

My "weaknesses" when it comes to pressing are 100% triceps.

I have a log now but found parallel grip dumbbell presses and push presses to be the closest thing.

The clean part I found you just need to practice on a log. After a little bit of practice you should be able to clean more than you can press pretty easily. There is nothing that really feels like it comes close with a barbell.

I had "invented" a new exercise last time. I rest the ends of the dumbbells on my shoulders so elbows are high and kinda triceps pressed it up. Dunno how effective this is but it makes my elbows scream (in a good way)

My thoughts on pressing; the faster the better, screw trying to press that up, clean and jerkpushpressdip it up, doesn't need to be pretty.

Do anything, but do it fast.

I found with a log because of its size its hard to convert the force from the push from the legs into the press. Unlike a barbell where your push press is much higher than the press my log press isn't much higher than a strict log press.

Cleaning a log is easy! Just get strong on overheads & you'll do well on the log once you train with one & get the technique down.

A lot of people dont realise that the weight of the log sits forward of the centre line of your body. Its a totally different position in the "rack" position than a barbel. You have to push the log back over your head, not straight up like a lot of beginers do. Head through quickly will help with the press.

Accessory work. Seeing you dont have a log, do you have access to a swiss bar? Otherwise neutral grip with dumbels may be an option. Z-Press's out of a rack help, smashes the core too, good core stabilty makes a difference with over head press. Heaps of tricep work too, bands, chains etc.

Getting the right technique is important as finding the right way saves a lot of energy. Pulling the log into your lap, squat down and pulling it against your body as you stand up, a lot of hip drive helps with this. Dont try and bicep curl it up. I guess you could use a keg to help get used to the cleaning positions. Also if you dont have stones, kegs are a very good way off practising the extention part from the squat position up through to the hip drive.

I have a swiss bar but the handles are really close together, you can't really press with it.
Dem der Z presses seem like a good idea though